Thread: Good winter running trails?

Default Good winter running trails?

Help--what are some good avalanche worry-free running trails in winter? I run up Near Point & Powerline a lot but need some variety. What about Potter - Rainbow?

I read the thread re Flattop & to steer clear after wind or fresh powder.
    Tank trails are fine but not terribly interesting.
    Crow Creek is wonderful but how far up could you go after you cross the hand tram?
    How about Rabbit Lake?

I'd love to hear any suggestions. I'd really like to keep up one long non-ski day/week this winter.

Thanks much

Are you willing to drive out to Eagle River? If so, the trails at the Nature Center (mile 12 Eagle River Road) are great all winter. The trail going to Symphony Lake at mile 7.2 Hiland Road is good, too. Very beautiful, and no avy danger if you stay on the trail.

Alright I'm going to toss a question onto this thread here- are the roads going to the Symphony lake trailhead plowed/graveled? I'd like to do a hike back there this year but I would imagine the roads back there are nasty at the moment.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Definitely plowed, likely graveled. Quite a few people live up there, so they maintain that road quite well.

I'd avoid S Eagle River after a freeze thaw, as there is a steep section that can get pretty hairy. But generally the roads are well maintained and we enjoy going back there every winter.

Just thought I'd post an update on here- road going back is in good shape, however the trail was soft powder- bring snowshoes.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Are you willing to drive out to Eagle River? If so, the trails at the Nature Center (mile 12 Eagle River Road) are great all winter. The trail going to Symphony Lake at mile 7.2 Hiland Road is good, too. Very beautiful, and no avy danger if you stay on the trail.
    Agreed 7 miles of beauty!

Loved it last time I was there, couldn't resit and just keep on going to the top of this bad boy!