Thread: .338 Federal

Default .338 Federal

I am looking at purchasing the DPMS AR-10 in the .338 Federal as opposed to the .308 I originally selected...it appears to me that they load up the .338 Federal to meet the .308 ballistically, so it flys about the same but delivers a bit more punch making it into a more utilitarian round.
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the good 'ol .308, but was surprised to see they could neck up and still not lose the fairly flat shooting characteristics of the .308...and wind up with an all around better round.
    As the round is a bit new and not much published information seems to be available...I'd like to know if anyone around here has put it to the test.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    As the round is a bit new and not much published information seems to be available...I'd like to know if anyone around here has put it to the test.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I've loaded for one a bit this year. I've pretty much settled on the 215 Sierra for my purposes, though I have used the Speer 200 SP and the Hornady 200 SP as well. It has responded best to RL 15, though there are other powders that will also work. Technically its my wife's rifle, but I do all the load work and have shot it a good bit more than she has. The 338 Federal has fairly soft recoil for its ballistics and I prefer it to its parent case, but that's just me. Send me a PM and I'll send you my load info if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    I am looking at purchasing the DPMS AR-10 in the .338 Federal as opposed to the .308 I originally selected...it appears to me that they load up the .338 Federal to meet the .308 ballistically, so it flys about the same but delivers a bit more punch making it into a more utilitarian round.
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the good 'ol .308, but was surprised to see they could neck up and still not lose the fairly flat shooting characteristics of the .308...and wind up with an all around better round.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Take a look at this:
    http://www.gunwalker.com/338federal/data.html

Also, the loads for it are similar to loads for the former wildcat (.338-08), and a few are floating around on the Internet.

Default DPMS in .338 Federal

Thanks guys,
    Everything I see still supports the .338 Federal Cartridge as being really a winner.
    I am one of those guys who don't much get interested in the latest caliber fads and think the true test is time...but the interest started where they were able to put real bullets into the AR 10, mind ya that there isn't a dang thing wrong with the venerable 'ol .308...but it would appear that the Federal round takes off just a tad faster, and down range ballistics are quite similar with more energy due to weight...
    Looks like the F.338 does everything the .308 does just a bit better.
    What is the down side? I fail to see it as yet.
    And, so far as DPMS, I have only heard one complaint about quality, they appear to be a top shelf outfit. I worry that with my handloads I might wind up fooling around with gas ports and recoil springs, loading anything from 160 grain to 225 grain bullets the obvious differences in pressures and recoil... I dunno...I am a bolt action guy thinking of leaping into the semi auto style, and do not know what I might be getting into.
    And these DPMS rigs, are they finicky? Do they do well in dirt, mud snow...any bad habits? Need a lot of care? If so, they might not be for me.
    I have never missed a shot and blamed my hardware...and have heard those stories a thousand times. I don't want to be telling one myself...
    Everything I own gets the heck beat out of it. After my last bear hunt, my rifle and pistol both were so crudded up with dirt & leaves and had been sopping wet for days...I threw them right in the bathtub and washed them in hot soapy water to start. So....a bit worried can that DPMS take the abuse of Alaska Brush Hunting...and still work when it needs to.
    I would assume that being a Military design, that this is exactly the type of treatment they were built for.
    Anyhow guys, thanks for the advice, it still looks good. If there are any grips , headaches or problems with these things, I would really like to hear the bad news too.
    Mark

There isn't a downside to it. The .308 is a very nice cartridge, and necking up to .338-caliber gives you more thump. You can load .338 bullets of the same weight as the ones for the .308 (.30-caliber) if that's what you want, and still gain greater bullet diameter. I believe the lightest .338-caliber bullet is around 165 grains, and there are several in 180 grains, then maybe 200 or 210 grains.

Default Oh No....,.

Now I have stumbled upon yet another. This is getting a bit loose.
    I looked at Armalite, they offer an AR 10 in the .338 Federal, nice long barrel and match trigger.
    But they also have one in .300 WSM
    I looked it up, yep, a real non belted Magnum..
    So following the logic of the .338 Federal, a necked up .308
    Yeah..I looked it up. .338/.300 WSM it is a legitimate round, can fit in AR 10 I probably need to quit looking at these things as it just gets better and better or worse and worse depending on perspective...
    I am starting to lose it here...
    But the search for a rugged accurate big game semi auto will continue to fruition, I don't buy a lot of firearms, and once purchased, I am probably gonna stick, so I keep chewing away. Money is hard to come by and easy to spend.
    Thanks...
    Mark

Default Oops..

My Mistake, Armalite does not produce the .300 WSM so that is off the table, they just got back to me but they has .300 RSUM a while back..
    I am beating a retreat back to the Federal Round.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default .338 Federal

I was interested in buying one a year ago, but was talked out of it buy the salesman at the store.
    Will not say the store name.
    He said the .338 was like shooting a .308 with a 200 gr. bullet.
    Well I since have done a side by side comparison of the two rounds.
    Shooting steel plates at 200 yards the .338 hits harder and I have to go down and pick up the plates and reset them every third or fourth shot. Much harder.
    180 gr. ves225 gr.
    I like the .338.

Default Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Willy View Post
    I was interested in buying one a year ago, but was talked out of it buy the salesman at the store.
    Will not say the store name.
    He said the .338 was like shooting a .308 with a 200 gr. bullet.
    Well I since have done a side by side comparison of the two rounds.
    Shooting steel plates at 200 yards the .338 hits harder and I have to go down and pick up the plates and reset them every third or fourth shot. Much harder.
    180 gr. ves225 gr.
    I like the .338.
    TRY THIS load your 308 with 2oo grain bullets and bring the chamber pressure up to 62,00 vs the standard 52,000 the standard 308 SAAMI pressure and see if it doesn't make a difference. Just make sure you use the same kind/weight of bullets in each caliber for your test.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !