Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you hang your snares?

Default How do you hang your snares?

First let me say thanks to all of the people who have shared information about trapping on this board. I have gleaned tons of useful information from your posts!

My question is what is the best way to hang snares for fox and coyotes? Is hanging on a bush or branches overhanging trails the best way? Or using a large gage stiff wire making an arm that hangs over the trail better?

I have seen mention of a Wammy Support Collar. What is this and how do you use it?

Thanks!

K.P.

First off, no claims that this is the best way...just my way...

I like to use an "N" bend in a piece of, say, 9 gauge wire, like this:

Snare wire goes through the N in an over/under/over pattern like so:

This holds the snare taut as the animal pulls the loop down.

Snare hangs like so, in this coffee table set....

ah yes the coffee table set. My go to when all else fails set.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

note to all... coffee table sets are to be removed PRIOR to missus coming home....game caught PRIOR to that arrival is fair game for the run away sector... however be sure to vacuum suspicious carpet scratch marks out immediatly...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That is funny Vince!

I use a setup like Lastone fishing when There is no trees nearby. Except I Use really long wire that is coiled around a spike that is driven in the ground, the snare is also tied off to the spike.

If there is trees I just tie off to one tree and fiddle around with twigs or wire to make the snare sit right.

Ill take some pics tommorow of my sets so you can see what Im talking about.

Really you just have to use what the situation dictates.

Thats funny cause the 1st thing I thought was snaring the house cat.... BUt That is a cool way to hang the snare, thanks lastone.....I usually use tie wire but I didnt use the "N" bend like you showed...Thanks for the tip.

Supporting Member

Default Hanging snares

Daniel,
    Regarding the "Whammy" collar, it is merely a small piece (approx. 1/2" long) of small-diameter, clear plastic tubing on your snare cable that allows you to jam a piece of support wire into it to support your snare. the smaller the inside diameter of the tubing, the smaller (gauge) your support wire can be.
    I'll bring a few fox and coyote snares of mine to Fairbanks over Thanksgiving to show you the set-up I use.

Sweet. That'll be cool. I still have yet to put my snares out, because everytime I get time it's snowing covering up the tracks. IM just particular as Im after I certain Fox. Daniel

lol Vince...good advice

Talking coffee table set

To low for house cats. looks more like a weiner dog set! Hillbilly

A little Long Distance Daschund call lure on the far end of that couch and it's "Get a stretcher ready!"

In seriousness though, you made me think, Hillbilly - maybe I should have mentioned that the example shown in the coffee table set is not nearly the height at which I would set for fox/coyote...just meant to show the hanging method itself, not actual positioning.

Default Support wire with pigtail

I prefer to use a snare cable just long enough for the loop, and attach and support with a heavy wire with a pigtail. Very easy to place and the pigtail acts as a swivel with a ferrule and washer behind it. This snare was set for beaver but was the best picture of the pigtail I had, Ignore the other cable and wire in the background as that was other gear. the coyote is in such a snare but you can barely see the pigtail.
    Last edited by trapperbob; 05-19-2010 at 22:45.

Default same

I make mine just like trapperbob. I posted this on Tman last year and thought some of you may benefit from it here as well.

Here is the whole process, feel free to critique

First i take a roll of #11 wire and i unroll a 3 foot section or so.

Then I bend a small part of it straight and put it in the vice

I use a nail, and once you get good at it it goes quick

Default continued

Default finishing

Fox size, I know the lock is too close to the wire, but I hurried with the pics.

Same snare lynx size

wrapped up

Fisherman, what happens if the lock is "too close to the wire."

I think I know but just to be sure....

Default question

With the 9 gauge wire coil setup how are you guys securing the other end. If the 9 gauge is the support and is also acting as part of the snare. i wouldnt think it wouldnt hold long just wraped around a tree and the animal walks off with the snare. I have some of those set up for wolf from snare shop but havnt used them yet. Hillbilly

Supporting Member

Default Snares

Use a pair of fencing pliers to twist the #9 wire around your anchor point. Twist the wire until it "bites" into your anchor tree/bush to keep it from swivelling around the anchor point.

Default lock

harry if you get the lock too close the pigtail you have to have the snare set in just the right position. I like to keep the lock away just a little bit and set it so the lock is at 11 o'clock.

If you have it right next to pigtail then you will need to set it more like 11:45 in order for it to still close quickly.

Default Pig tails

This thing is awesome for doing pig tails. Cost about $25 on Murrayslures.com. It will make your pig tails perfect in about 2-3 seconds. Well worth the money as it will save you a lot of time compared to using a nail and a vice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast