Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass cleaning of resize lube from cases?

Default Mass cleaning of resize lube from cases?

For years, (since 1970) I have been cleaning the resizeing lube from my cases using denatured alcohol. ( I got caught washing them in the sink and drying them inside my moms spagetti strainer.) Probably why my dad can't remeber anything these days...
    So for all these years,,,lots of hand work with rags or industrial paper towels.

I cleaned 500 cases last night and my old hands are really cramped up.

Does anyone have a method for cleaning the lube from large numbers of cases that does not involve poisoning the family..???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I use Hornady One Shot. No clean up necessary

No clean up necessary
    I can't see how something that lubes one minute won't stay on the case and eventually build up in on warm chamber walls.

Throw them in an old towel spray with brakleen toss around a bit , maybe a quick rub in mass and let them sit over night.
    Alex

Have you ever tried soaking them in Kool-Aid? I am not joking you can clean a lot of cases real good with a couple of packs of kool-aid and a little water. Mix kool-aid and water add cases let soak until clean stand on rack made with finish nails drove in board until dry. You will be very suprised with the results. One of the tech guys from Sierra Bullets told me about this and it works. It will clean crud and tarnish from the brass as well as lube.

My first branch of the service was the Navy (6yrs) and during the time I was on board a frigate I remember the engineering guys coming up to the mess deck and getting the old kool-aide (BUG JUICE in Navy speak). They used it to clean the boiler tubes and other things.

My brass is usually pretty clean before I resize, since I run it through my vibrating cleaner for a couple hours first thing off the range.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    Throw them in an old towel spray with brakleen toss around a bit , maybe a quick rub in mass and let them sit over night.
    Alex
    wear rubber or latex type gloves with that brake clean...

my left hand has not stopped peeling in about 14 years now... some times are worse then others but permanent dermatitis.. is not good.. chems get in your skin and stays there forever...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I wear the blue or black nitrel gloves now for just about anything involving chemicals. Too many years working for Uncle Sam with my arm in a bucket of dry-cleaning solvent, bore solvent or MEK...

I guess the fumes helped us cough up the old asbestos and leaded paint particles...

I clean mine with hot water and a little dish liquid and a little lemon juice, maybe a teaspoon of each but I never measure. The lemon juice seems to bring out a nice shin. To try I strain in a colander and then place them in a cut off lag from some old bluejeans. Holding onto each end of the leg holds the cases in, and shaking around drys the outside and shakes out the remaining water from the inside. I then lay them out to finish dry.

Default Ultrasonic cleaner

I clean my cases in an ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and a bit of soap and vinegar.

Cleans out the primer pockets of crud and all the black stuff from normal firing left in the inside of the cases. You won't believe all the crud from fired cases left inside from the burning powder and primer residue. I use once fired cases for critical loads, resize them and decap them, then in the utrasonic cleaner until they look like new inside and out.

Tumbling will also clean cases and shine them but it leaves a lot of residue - I've cleanerd tumbled case and the amount of crud- rouge and media powder - left in the cases is surprising. I can't believe it is good for the loads or the guns.

Nothing else even comes close. Works great for guns also - cleans all the residue from every nook and cranny, screw holes, etc.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I can't see how something that lubes one minute won't stay on the case and eventually build up in on warm chamber walls.
    Try it you'll like it.

In the last couple of years I've probably sized about 800 peices of brass, in 300 WSM, 25-06 and 300 RUM using One Shot. It is waaaay fast and easy. the WSM brass I just neck sized, the 25-06 I FL sized and the 300 RUM I body sized and bushing necked sized. Absolutley no build up. No binding from build up and no dented cases.

You guys are working waaaay too hard.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Try it you'll like it.

In the last couple of years I've probably sized about 800 peices of brass, in 300 WSM, 25-06 and 300 RUM using One Shot. It is waaaay fast and easy. the WSM brass I just neck sized, the 25-06 I FL sized and the 300 RUM I body sized and bushing necked sized. Absolutley no build up. No binding from build up and no dented cases.

You guys are working waaaay too hard.
    but i have found that leaving it set a minute works better.. do 6- 8 cases at a time with the spray.. and only have tight ones the first one or two... but if i spray roll spray... and fiddle for about a minute.. no issues at all.... NONE

my partner went through 2 TWO 2 sets...... did i mention ... 2 sets of lee dies on his 06 and i smashed my thumb nail getting the stuck cases out.. before i talked him in to laying them down a sec...

50 cases

two sets of dies

43 cases completed in 4 hours...

and he had been doin it that way for a long time... buy ing new dies as needed.. cause the old one was bent all the hell...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

There are other mixtures, and other cleaners, you can use. Kool-Aid is a new one to me, but itís at least interesting, Iíll probably try it some sweet day.

When I want to clean cases, in BULK, whether itís to get the lube off or whatever, I use a concoction I got from someone on the INTERNET.

1 pint water,
    1 cup white vinegar,
    1 tablespoon salt,
    1 teaspoon liquid detergent

You can double or triple the amounts.

Put in brass and shake gently (Do not soak) for 5 minutes, rinse in water, drain, and dry.
    (An overnight soak can weaken the brass.)

They take a LONG TIME to dry.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the Hornady One-Shot for most everything, and I wipe them off with a paper towel. I even clean the inside of the necks with a cleaning loop, and a patch.

Mind you, Iíve cleaned the brass before I size them, but when I get through wiping the lube from just a small amount of brass, the paper towel is DIRTY. Before wiping, the case lube, (Hornady One-Shot in this case, I can feel it with my fingers.

Reportedly, lubrication on cases when they are fired is a dangerous thing. It can keep them from readily sticking to the sides of the chamber as they should, causing more pressure on the bolt-head. Leastways, thatís the way I heared it.

I believe it is prudent as well as standard practice to REMOVE sizing lube from cases. Not to do so, seems foolhardy to me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I just re tumble them for 15 min or so after I have sized, trimmed and cleaned out the primer pockets. Takes it all off.

Some people get irritated about the media getting in the primer holes but it does not bother me. I just put them in the loading block facing down before I prime them, inspect them one more time, if there is any media I poke it out with a dental pick, actually I stick the dental pick in all the holes just in case there is something I donít see, takes about 15 seconds or so per 50 once in the block. Once they are all cleaned out they get primed and turned right side up for loading. If Iím using the Dillon I will still do it but not prime them. Just dump them in a bag once they have been inspected until I need to use them. Does not take long at all.

I use "ONE SHOT" for small 223 size stuff, Dillon "DCL" for medium 308 stuff and "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" for large brass. A quick retumble takes it all off.

I have tried the brake clean way, just donít like the fumes but it does work very well (got busted using the wifeís cookie sheet for that one, not good)! Would like to get an ultrasonic cleaner but I have not "found" one yet (more like look for one and get it) but I do want/need one. Anyone know where I can buy a "large" one that wonít break the bank????

Will

What kind of lube are you using? A lot of the new wax types don't need removed or if you want,wipe off easily with a rag. If your using that old rcbs stuff that acts like stp then a bucket of gas and a collendar works well, but don't use indoors. I use Hornady unique case lube and roll /slide a bunch across a towel but I am not worried about getting every last bit off as it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I bought a small ultra-sonic cleaner at Wally World for jewlery for about ten bucks. I use it to clean fishing reel bearings and other parts. It is only about the size of a baseball and about 1.5 inches wide. I might try it on some small cases to see how it will work. It does a good job on fishing reel bearings. I would be interested in a larger model if it did not cost a arm and a leg. Any body know of one please post.

A 5-gallon bucket with a few tablespoons of automatic dishwashing detergent (loaded with surfactants), fill with hot water to cover cases, agitate, dump out water, rinse a few times. Last rinse I use boiling water to get the cases really hot. I too use a spaghetti strainer and agitate the water out of the really hot cases.

I put them all in the oven set at "warm" (about 200* F), for a couple hours, then turn the oven off. In the morning they're all nice and dry.

If you want the cases bright and shiney, add a cup of vinegar to the last rinse and agitate for a minute.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    but i have found that leaving it set a minute works better.. do 6- 8 cases at a time with the spray.. and only have tight ones the first one or two... but if i spray roll spray... and fiddle for about a minute.. no issues at all.... NONE

my partner went through 2 TWO 2 sets...... did i mention ... 2 sets of lee dies on his 06 and i smashed my thumb nail getting the stuck cases out.. before i talked him in to laying them down a sec...

50 cases

two sets of dies

43 cases completed in 4 hours...

and he had been doin it that way for a long time... buy ing new dies as needed.. cause the old one was bent all the hell...
    Was this with One Shot? If so, all I can say is WOW... never experienced anything like this except with a very few RUM cases that were way overpressured and a couple got stuck in the body die. I found if I gave those a good shot of One Shot and worked them up and down gradually I got them back to size fine.

My normal routine is to stand the cases in a loading block give them all a quick shot, turn the block around 180 and give them all another shot, then start sizing. No issues at all. It takes about as much time as it takes to spray two sides then set them in the shellholder crank the lever up and dowm and repeat. Abiout 10 minutes for the whole process for 50 cases, maybe less.

You sprayed the cases and rolled them? What kind of sizing were you doing?

he was using lee FL dies... on an 06 but like i siad if is spray and let it set a few.. to dry it runs great... sounds like your dry to in the tray...

i lay mine out on a rag or lube pad and spray them roll them 180 and spray again... 60 seconds later they are ready to go.. but spray and put in the shell holder was messed up.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    he was using lee FL dies... on an 06 but like i siad if is spray and let it set a few.. to dry it runs great... sounds like your dry to in the tray...

i lay mine out on a rag or lube pad and spray them roll them 180 and spray again... 60 seconds later they are ready to go.. but spray and put in the shell holder was messed up.
    Interesting... Most of mine did dry by the time they were sized, but the "wet" ones showed no problems.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast