Thread: Range report-375 H&H download

Default Range report-375 H&H download

Nothing fancy in the way of accuracy tests. Just getting ready for our deer season and tried a new load.

I loaded only two powder charges; 38.5 gr and 41.0 gr of SR4759 (an IMR powder for downloads in rifle cases) with Sierra's 200 grain flat point.

The 41.0 grain load printed a 2 1/8" 5 shot group, and the 38.5 grain load printed a 1.0" 5 shot group at 100 yards. These were shot out of my Rem 700 BDL SS.

Then 6 weeks later (today), I zeroed both my Rem 700 and my Sako AV to 1.5" high at 100 yards. I wanted to know my drop at 200 yards, so I took 2 shots with each rifle at 200 yards. The Rem 700 put them 7.5" low and were 1 9/16" apart. The Sako AV printed them 8.5" low and were 1.0" apart.

I'm ready for season next Saturday. Timber hunting. The farthest shot to expect is 100 yards. By the way, this load duplicates the 375 Winchester.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default Is the Sako a 375 also...

Very versatile cartridge...

I also understand that Hodgdon has released some loading data suggesting that you can also use H4895 at 65% reduction from top loads in cartridges that are being loaded safetly with that powder...

Do you have a chronograph to shoot those loads over, it would be interesting to know what your velocities are, although if you know the B.C. of that bullet and it's tradjectory.., the velocity should be simple to fine in the charts of most reloading manuals.

Is that bullet designed for 375 Winchester velocities...?
    Sounds like a great deer load if they are.

Sounds like your time has been well spent. Should prove to be very effective. I wish you success next Saturday; let us know.

I got the loading data out of Sierra's loading manual. According to it, the velocity should be appox. 2150 fps. Yes, that bullet is designed for 375 Win velocities.

My brother had a chrono, it got stolen. What a shame. We'll probably go in halves for another one.

1Cor, thanks for your wish of success.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Sounds like your time has been well spent. Should prove to be very effective. I wish you success next Saturday; let us know.
    Well, opener was a bust; so was the two weekends afterwards. I finally had an opportunity yesterday morning. A big doe poped up from her bed as I was sneaking though a 2 year old clear cut on my way to a stand of hemlocks. A fairly quick offhand shot (with the Sako) at 80 yards entered the right front shoulder and exited the far side just past the liver, with a quarter size exit hole. She made it about 75 yards blowing blood as she went.

I was pleased with the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    . . . at 80 yards entered the right front shoulder and exited the far side just past the liver, with a quarter size exit hole. She made it about 75 yards blowing blood as she went.

I was pleased with the performance.
    What's not to love with that kind of performance? Sounds like you have a winner and it should prove a valuable killer for a long while. Congrats on the doe.