Thread: Leather Venison

Default Leather Venison

I have had problems in the past with my attempts at cooking a consistently tender, fall apart venison pot roast. Mine either come out quasi-tender or rubber football. I have tried more water, less water low heat all day, high heat all day etc etc. What is your advise on cooking venison so that it is fall apart tender? And how much does it matter which type of roast it is: shoulder, rump, etc. Thanks for your advise!
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Lightbulb less time

soak in "oilly mix" over nite...use presser cooker and a little vingar.. and away it goes...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Cut into 1 inch slices, soak in Milk overnight.

Lightly Oil Pressure Cooker with Olive Oil and get it hot, add meat and brown for 2 minutes on each side.

Season (I like 2 packs of Lipton Onion Soup and one pack of "Hunters" Gravy and one pack of brown gravy). Add water to recommended line. Slice up an onion and add. Pressure cook it for recommended time, usually 25-30 minutes. Should fall apart on you.

before cooking it have tried leaveing it overnight in a rocksalt and buttermilk mix in a glass bowel with a lid unit to draw out the gamey taste and make it a little tender take a rolling pin and roll it over the meat a few times on each side in the spices on a wooden cutting board before putting into a pressuse cooker ..i know it sound stange but it works

one of my room mates was a-5- star chief and he would make up meals that where out of this world at time ..he would do somethings that make you go like your are a nut case but in the end i did learn a few tricks from him about the cooking deer meat and makeing it taste out of this world ..

when the guy would cook it was like eating in a 5 star restaurant everynight when he was cooking at the house ..i put on 20 pds of fat becuase of that guy and his wife ..they cooked up a storm for the three years that they where my roommates..

I have tried soaking venison in everything from milk to salt water, but have found that the best is to soak in just plain ole water with nothing added. the salts in all other stuff tends to remove the moisture from the meat and make it even tougher than if not soaked at all. I sugest using a pressure cooker to tenderize the meat before adding your carrots and potatoes. You can use powdered soup mixes or just water as a base but wild venison will never come out as tender as beef or farm raised venison, due to the low fat content and the animal's diet.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I just crock pot it. Put everything in, fill with water until meat is half way covered. Cook on high until starts to boil and then turn on low until I can't pick it up with a fork anymore. Then I add brown gravy mix until i get the right consistency. I even do this with neck roasts and have never had a bad meal.

Default Awe hell!

Just make sausages out of it... :P

Default I'm with the pressure cooker folks

Since I started using a pressure cooker on all types of wild meat (moose, bear, rabbit, grouse) I've never had dry meat. I use mushroom soup and a few boulion cubes in the water for most meats. Do go easy on the salt until after it is cooked.

I used to crock pot but PERSONALLY I feel that it draws moisture out of the meat and leaves a dry product. Your results may vary.

The pressure cooker is great idea, I never even thought to try that. Guess I'll go buy one. Thanks for the ideas.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life