Thread: Loose Seatting bullets.

Default Loose Seatting bullets.

I am in the process of reloading some 8mm mauser for my old man. For this coming Thanksgiving deer hunting. He sent me brand new Remmington brass which i partially resized, and chaffered the neck. I think thats the right term. Any ways I went to seat the bullet and it is rediculaous loose. I can pull the bullet out by hand or push it down with very little effort.
    I don't know if it is my dies or what. My Speer reloading manual doesn't touch on this to much. Any adivce will be nice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i am by far any expert on any of this..

if i understand it all correctly.. when sizing it stretches then reshapes back to the correct size and when seating.. you shove the bullet into the tight spot and could crimp in that step if set up of it....

so ... sounds like your sizing die may not be reshaping on the way out of the die... leaving the neck at die size...not finsihed.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    I am in the process of reloading some 8mm mauser for my old man. For this coming Thanksgiving deer hunting. He sent me brand new Remmington brass which i partially resized, and chaffered the neck. I think thats the right term. Any ways I went to seat the bullet and it is rediculaous loose. I can pull the bullet out by hand or push it down with very little effort.
    I don't know if it is my dies or what. My Speer reloading manual doesn't touch on this to much. Any adivce will be nice.
    Need to know what kind of dies your using. If bushing dies, your bushing may be the wrong size. You also mention "partial sizing". what exactly do you mean by partial? It may be that you are not sizing the neck at all? Are you sure you're using 8mm bullets? Is your expander ball the right size? Get some calipers are start measuring, the bullets, brass necks and expander button.

Mark

Measure the bullet diameter and make certain the bullets are in spec. I've seen this as an issue before. I would also fully size the brass and see if that creates enough neck tension to solve your problem.

You say 8mm Mauser...do you know if the rifle is 8x57J or 8x75JS? J has .318 dia bullets, JS is .323. If you have JS dies and are loading J bullets, they won't work and will do exactly what yours are doing. If the rifle is a J and you try to shoot JS ammo, it will explode from excess pressure. Check the bullet box to see what the diameter is...I'll bet they're .318 and your dies are .323.

What make/model is your dad's rifle?

Diesel Nut, You might be on to something. Except what is twisting me in my thoughts is that, my brass is stamped 8x57 j my bullets are .323 and I checked them with a caliber. My dies are Herters Professionail not sure if they are J or Js they are just stamped 8x57 Mauser. My grandfather probably doesn't remeber ethier. So what I am thinking is that my dies are .323 and when resizied my caliber says that inside diam. is around .320. "so need a digital one", If any thing they should be a extremely tight fit, but their not. My dads gun i believe is an M98. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, still trying to figure out what i need to do? Change my dies or change the brass. Ethier way I think my Dad might borrow one of my rifles.
    If what I wrote made since please let me know. I was typing as I was trying to think and having a 2yr old being a 2yr old right next to me. Any more help would be appriceated.

Default 8x57 reloading

The expander button on your decapping pin may be too large also. Pull the decapping assembly from the sizing die nad then size a case and see if the bullet is now snug. If you you are expanding the neck too much after you size it and need to reduce the size of the expander button or just do not use it.

If the bullet still slides in the case with using the expander button the dies are simply too large and aren't sizing the brass enough.

I'm loading for a 8x57 JR with .318 bullets and the regular 8x57 S dies don't resize the cases quite enough to hold .318 bullets even without the expander button. Your .323 bullets should be O.K. if the dies are correct.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would suggest you don't "partial size". Full length resize. Size ALL of the neck.

The expander enters a fired case easily, and the case, including the neck is squeezed down to a smaller diameter, and then on the up-stroke, the expander comes out of the case, expanding the neck to the proper size, (inside) which should be LESS than the bullet diameter of .323

If this doesn't work, (you have enough neck tension) then check the diameter of the expander button. I can't tell you what diameter it should be, (it stretches the brass, and it comes back some), but it's gotta leave the inside neck diameter less than the bullet diameter.

I've never had to do it, but I've heard, an expander button can be turned down with emery cloth and a drill motor.

I don't think you need a digital Caliper.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I took the advice of tvfinak, and pulled out the decapping pin and then resized. They are brand new brass so I only need to make the neck round. I ran a brass through the resizer with out the decapping pin and then seated a bullet, and it is now snug. It wasn't hard to seat at all so i doubt that it is seated to tight and might cause to much pressure.
    Only thing that sucks now is i have 40 brass that are primed, and pretty much useless. Good thing I got bulk of a 100. Thanks for ya'lls help.

Only thing that sucks now is i have 40 brass that are primed, and pretty much useless. Good thing I got bulk of a 100. Thanks for ya'lls help.
    Shouldn't be a problem. With the expander stem out, you can resize normally with the primers in place.

Thanks for the tip, going to give it a try.