Thread: Halibut hooks

Default Halibut hooks

Whats your favorite Halibut hook? Brand, Type , Size?

Default lighter is better

For us the days of fishing with a rope Gangion and a 16/0 circle have come and gone years ago....
    We use an offset Mustad 39948D stainless circle hook and 150 pound monofiliment leader.

Does it even matter? We think it makes a huge difference in the number of bites and hookups.

I still use a 16/0 Mustad Circle hook with gangione line and have no problems at all.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

By far i.m.o Owner super mutu circle hooks in 12/0 and 14/0 cant be beat. They are spendy but you get what you pay for.

I like setting the hook (can't break the habit) so my wife and I prefer a "plain with no Hoochie" Gamakatsu 12/0 J-hook on a an 18" 500 leader with sinker slider 14" above the hook.

Default Mustad

Another Mustad offset hook user. Can't be beat!
    BK

Default halibut hooks

What size on that Mustad 39948. One thing I've noticed with circle hooks is size runs all over the map with different manufacturers and "styles" of circle hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    What size on that Mustad 39948. One thing I've noticed with circle hooks is size runs all over the map with different manufacturers and "styles" of circle hooks
    Hi Alan,

We use a 12/0 39948. This is a thinner wire hook, which allows us to thread it into a bait to make the herring look like it is swiming in the current. The regular 16/0 galvanized hook is so heavy that can cause the herring to lay on it's side like it is dead.

Is this really necessary??? Well when the current wanes or on a light tidal flow day, it can make all the difference in the world. On a fast chicken bite, I have caught plenty of halibut on a peice of chicken or part of a ham sandwich....

Same hold true for lighter mono leader vs rope gangion. I will it all at that!

Default Light Wire Mustad Circles

We normally anchor and use a combination of big chunks of bait on 16/0 galvanized offset circle hooks on half of our rods and and baited Kodiak Custom Tackle jigs on the other half for halibut. As a rule we don't use herring by themselves very often, but in 2008 (after having fish throw hooks at the surface) we switched from 8/0 Mustad octopus hooks we had been using in this application over to the light-wire Mustad 39948Z circle hooks for herring rigs. We broke one of these light-wire hooks this summer on a salmon shark we "accidentally" hooked-up but otherwise we have not had a single failure and I like them.

Mustad circle hook fan too.... 20/0 I like BIG fish