Thread: Ice nets

Default Ice nets

Ice fishing is a blast, I just love setting nets even more.
    Were using a Macbook today, as I killed my Gateways keypad , so I have to learn alot , so bear with me~~LOL!!~~

Anyways we loaded out ice chisel, nets , ropes ,poles ax and extra weights and drove down by the river, taking the kids outta school to teach them this stuff, and they have been there every day checking the net and doing the work.

We chiseld the nets opening holes that we pull them up through and a series of small round holes that we pass our first rope through , stick to stick. Then we forget the small rope holes and just maintain the two ends.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Once the holes are all made, we tie a rope with a loop around the end of a stick and push it down the hole to be caught by a hook set into another pole and pulled through the hole. This advances the rope, hole to hole untill the two big holes have a rope to pull a net, under the ice to the opposits holes to be checked and reset.

Then the net fed through to the other side, with someone pulling the net unser with the rope that was passed under, small hole to small hole.

The net is set fairly deep, with the mesh's and few floats being pulled under and away from the ice above. We use a pole set at angle over the midle of the hole with a arope attached to the net to the wooden pole, which had a rope attached at the other end and suspended at the end of angled pole. This is to prevent any rope being chopped as the winter progersses the ice thickens and the hole is getting chopped open.

We return the next day and chop the two end holes open.

We clean out the loose chips and smooth a "ramp" where were gonna pull the net out and keep it as smooth a possible, so as not to catch on our webs when we pull/set the nets.

And we pull it up and see what we have.....

Every body pitches in to work.

pretty cool to see....neat post stranger...

is there another way to thread the rope from hole to hole?...i talked to an old timer about it one time and he spoke of a method to 'walk' the rope from hole to hole....some device that is put under the ice and it floats??....

perhaps Im just nuts....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

We spred them out to freeze, seperatly. You certainly dont want to hack into a brick of Whitefish. After they are frozen solid, we put them into a giant box we have fr fish,but that was filled 200 fish ago~~LOL!!~~

These ladys are gonna fish as hard as their moms I think. I wasnt really needed as the ice wasnt but 6 inches thick, a safe thickness, but thin enough to easily set the net. It only gets harder to set when the ice thickens. I think it might run untill mid December.
    It was three weeks late freezing up and we missed the spawning run. None of our fish had eggs. We did get lots of them and fermted them in them in the temperate weather

50-80 Sharpnosed,or Roundnosed Whitefish, and 2-3 Burbot "Tiktallik" a day, as well as a Sheefish and a Pike so far too.

Theres too many great recipies for Whitefish, but raosted and hot for braekfast is my favorite.

Thanks Stranger. Years ago when I was up there visiting, I helped a friend check their net but I never really understood how they put it in the first time. You explained that well. Thanks again.

Awesome post Stranger, I was wondering how you string out the net under the ice.

That is a great post and I know understand how you get the nets under water and from one hole to the next!

Well done, great post, very educational. I am glad the youth are learning something useful.

always love your posts
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Im glad ya like the post

TJM, some guys use one pole and a chunk of wood or somekind of float they push down and over to the next hole with the rope. Only works where theres no current, but it is a way of getting it done.

I hope to have taken enough pix to explain as best as I could.~~LOL!!~~

This will work untill mid December Im thinking. Then we'll fish again in March, for Sheefish with jigs

Good stuff! Thanks for the post.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"