Thread: Ruger LCP vs Keltec p-3at

Default Ruger LCP vs Keltec p-3at

Anyone have personal comparison with these two sub-compacts?

Have been reading different inputs and seems like ruger folks like the lcp and keltec folks like the p3at..Go figure.

The P-3AT has been out longer than the LCP so you find more info on the p3at.

Best I can find the p-3at sells about 12,000 per year with 5% return for service. Can't find the same info for the Ruger.

Curious about opinions or actual experience.

I've played with both, but I own the Kel-Tec.

Looking back, I probably should have bought both as my wife never lets me carry the P3AT

Ruger feels slightly better in the hand and has a slide stop, but the Kel-Tec just fits better in my pocket, and it's a bit cheaper to boot.

Gotcha.. Wife is eyeballing the crimson trace that came ahead of the kel-tec. SOmething about her Christmas present.. Glad I have another on the way.

The finger extension for the mag is tempting but want to see how it feels before ordering.

Thanks for the input.. Btw.. how many rounds through your kel-tec?

check out www.elsiepeaforum.com

Lots 'o LCP info/junkies there...

Smile Ruger LCP & KEL-TEC P3AT

May want to check out a post I made on this forum w/ regards to these two guns --- titled 'White box'...

Thread is found at http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=445018

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    May want to check out a post I made on this forum w/ regards to these two guns --- titled 'White box'...

Thread is found at http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=445018
    Wow..comparing the two schematics.. Not much difference.

Thanks for the link!

Default I think the RUGER is the better choice.....until recently.....

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Anyone have personal comparison with these two sub-compacts?

Have been reading different inputs and seems like ruger folks like the lcp and keltec folks like the p3at..Go figure.

The P-3AT has been out longer than the LCP so you find more info on the p3at.

Best I can find the p-3at sells about 12,000 per year with 5% return for service. Can't find the same info for the Ruger.

Curious about opinions or actual experience.
    I think the RUGER is the better choice.....until recently.....

The Ruger was being manufactured with a steel trigger. The Kel-Tec with a plastic trigger. But sadly, I have noticed that recently, the Ruger is now coming to the shelf with a plastic trigger instead of that good steel trigger. No one needs a "plastic" trigger on a piece that will be used to save your life with. The plastic is just too delicate.

There are more parts available for the Ruger for repairs, and it appears to be the more durable pistol in it's manufacturing. The little KEL-TEC is a popular brand, probably because it was out there first. The Ruger warranty is first rate, and it is reliable as hell, and made from good American steel. I opt for the Ruger.

Loaded with .380 hardball ammo, if you got shot in the chest with it, you would have a serious problem on your hands, whether it is Kel-Tec or Ruger throwing the slug.

Having looked at both rather closely, I prefer the Ruger for durability over the Kel-Tec.

The finger extension for the mag is tempting but want to see how it feels before ordering.
    I don't have the finger extension on mine, but it's going to be added soon. It's a little small at first, but you get used to grasping the grip with your middle and ring finger and leaving the pinky finger to wrap around the bottom of the magazine (or stick out into space).

Thanks for the input.. Btw.. how many rounds through your kel-tec?
    I don't keep exact figures as it's not a target gun, but there was 400rnds of Magtec ball for break-in, followed by 100rnds of Federal Hydra-Shok and recently another 100rnds of the Buffalo Bore 100gr hardcast. In between there was at least another 200rnds for my wife to get used to it, and another 50-100 of me playing around. I'd guess the grand total is somewhere around 1000 rounds.

Only problem I ever had was during the initial break-in...around the 300th round I noticed the take-down pin was starting to work it's way out, and it needed a little "forward assist" on the back of the slide when I loaded a new mag. A quick squirt of CLP and everything was back to normal for the last couple hundred. Haven't had any problems since.