Thread: 375 Winchester question

Default 375 Winchester question

Since the 30-30 is the parent case for the 375 Winchester coupled with the fact that 375 Winchester brass are in short supply......can I just fire form some cases by shooting some of the loaded 30-30 ammo that I seem to have to much of through my Thompson Center Encore chambered for the 375? Will that 30 caliber bullet rattling down the 375 diameter tube hurt anything?

I might add that this gun came from TC's custom shop and is a dandy. It has both pistol grip and rifle stock and a 20" barrel. It has belonged to a good friend of mine for a few years and out of the goodness of his heart he just gave it to me along with dies and a few loaded rounds/brass. He knew that I had a hankering for this gun but couldn't afford it right now. He said take it and shoot it and I don't want it back! Kinda shoots all that friday the thirteenth stuff in the hiney don't it?

EKC, great to see ya!

I wouldn't be sending any 30 cal bullets down a .375 tube. I would pull the bullets, get some bullseye, fill the case about 3/4's full and stuff cotton in the remainder of the case. That should do it.

Cheers,

Mark

Someone else can chime in on whether it will "hurt" anything or not, but i wouldn't do it. The .30 cal bullets in a .375 bore just don't seem right.

I had a 14" T/C association .375 Win barrel years ago. It shot great, but IIRC, I sold it because it had a break on it and i didn't like the noise.

Love my T/C's - have a few contender frames and a couple of Encore's. Neat guns! Enjoy yours - the price was right at twice the cost. :-)

I have serious doubts that it will accomplish anything. It isn't going to take much to push that bullet out of the case, and once that happens the gas is just going to whoosh around it with no impulse to swell the case much, I bet. It's hard enough to get some cases to fireform (the 6mm TCU shoulders come immediately to mind), even with a bore sized bullet to help build the pressures.

I'd be tempted to pick up a series of expander balls and give that a try, say 32 cal, 33 cal, 35 cal, and finally 375. The balls are cheap and you could probably just do a succession of them right in the 375 win sizing die. I don't recall who it is, whether Hornady, Redding or Lyman, makes expander balls with lots of the taper in the front specifically for neck expansion. I've got one for taking my 348 cases up to 458, and it's dandy. Trouble is, I've had it for 30 years and there's no label.

Why don't you just order up some 38-55 Ballard-Win from Starline? The origional parent case for the dirty thirty.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/advance...38-55&x=13&y=9

Default Where are you?

Where are you? I have a bag or so of new brass here (375 win) in the Anchorage area I picked up for a friend that was suppose to have his rifle sent up. Never did, I have at least a bag of new brass and 50 new once loaded. Id let them go for what I have into them if you wanted them. PM or email me.

Will

My understanding is that the 375 has a thicker case head and lower body then the 30-30 or 38-55 to take the higher pressures that it operates at.

As wholden said where are you? I have a bag with 22 loaded 375 rounds that I was given several years ago. I have no use for them so you are welcome to them, though shipping would be a problem, I am in Fairbanks. I suppose I could pull the bullets and kill and punch out the primers, and mail them as empty cases.

Default Brain Cramp....

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Where are you? I have a bag or so of new brass here (375 win) in the Anchorage area I picked up for a friend that was suppose to have his rifle sent up. Never did, I have at least a bag of new brass and 50 new once loaded. Id let them go for what I have into them if you wanted them. PM or email me.

Will

Sorry, forgot you were not up here. Better deal: PM me your address and Ill shove them in a flat rate box and get the bag of 50 to you. Dont worry, just send me your address.

Will

[QUOTE=bandhmo;613953]My understanding is that the 375 has a thicker case head and lower body then the 30-30 or 38-55 to take the higher pressures that it operates at.[QUOTE]

I'd go for it anyway and section out a few to verify it if they were that scarce. I'd guess that they are the same for the newer ones.
    Luckily you guys came thru for him.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Per Chuck Hawks

The .375 Winchester is based on a high pressure version of the .38-55 case, with thicker case walls and a stronger head. Although its case is .065" shorter than the old .38-55 case, .375 Winchester brass can be used for .38-55 reloads if necessary. The reverse is not true, however.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Waaaaay Back When...

In the late sixties-seventies, we had a beautiful Marlin .38-55, but little ammunition. We used the same process for making Whelen from '06 to get useable brass for the Marlin, and that was to anneal the shoulder and neck, use three or four grains of Bullseye and top it with cornmeal and a wad of tissue paper. Fireformed the cases beautifully, and then trimmed them back till we got a square neck, which ended up being almost exactly the exterior dimensions of the yet-to-be introduced .375 Winchester. We used those cases to shoot 250-gr. cast bullets, and seated them out so that they met the C.O.A.L. for the .38-55.
    .38-55, and .375 Winchester cases are available from Starline, they're reasonable, plentiful, and available.
    As mentioned, the .375 operates at a high enough pressure that it'd be dicey to use .30-30 brass to duplicate factory loads, BUT, there'd be little reason not to use formed cases for cast bullet, or lower pressure loads.

As to firing .30-30 rounds through your .375 rifle..........The most likely thing that would happen is that the primer would push the bullet out the neck, and dump partially burned powder charge into the bore, and back around the case. IF you managed to get one to go off, it could be REAL ugly, most likely rupturing the case and COULD cause a catastrophic failure. Bad JuJu!!!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 11-14-2009 at 04:44. Reason: .

Default Ooops...

I just checked, and Starline does NOT list .375 Winchester! Sorry, I ain't always on top of things.
    Still, the proper brass should be available with some shopping. I know our shop has (I believe) ten boxes of factory loaded WW .375 with ten year old price tags on it, and unless someone has scarfed it all up, we had a couple hundred rounds of WW umprimed brass.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Since the 30-30 is the parent case for the 375 Winchester coupled with the fact that 375 Winchester brass are in short supply......can I just fire form some cases by shooting some of the loaded 30-30 ammo that I seem to have to much of through my Thompson Center Encore chambered for the 375? Will that 30 caliber bullet rattling down the 375 diameter tube hurt anything?

I might add that this gun came from TC's custom shop and is a dandy. It has both pistol grip and rifle stock and a 20" barrel. It has belonged to a good friend of mine for a few years and out of the goodness of his heart he just gave it to me along with dies and a few loaded rounds/brass. He knew that I had a hankering for this gun but couldn't afford it right now. He said take it and shoot it and I don't want it back! Kinda shoots all that friday the thirteenth stuff in the hiney don't it?

EKC,
    Did you send me an email? Just verifying it was you. Please send me a PM so I can be sure! Thanks a bunch!

Will