Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Redhawk Poor Fit & Finish

Default New Ruger Redhawk Poor Fit & Finish

I just picked up a new Redhawk at Wasilla Walmart. They don't let you actually handle it in the store so I did not get a close look at it till I got home. I'm very dissapointed in the quality of workmanship. The crane assembly and frame don't line up either horizontally or vertically with an uneven fingernail size gap between them. The machined scallops on either side of the rear sight ramp aren't even. Uneven machining and finish overall on the gun. It looks like this one somehow was made in a hurry and skipped quality control or inspection.

I've never seen a fit & finish this bad on a S&W revolver. This is my first Ruger - Are they usually this bad?

Not much pride of ownership with this one. I'm not sure I can ignore the issues and keep the pistol. Anybody ever try to return a firearm to Walmart?

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

rule # 1

never buy a gun you can not touch and hold....

have fun let us know how the return works... they should take it back...

then never buy from there again...in Wasilla... go to Chimo.. you will pay 20 $$$ more.. but so what you will talk and be educated by guy/galls that know the fire arms they are selling ... you will get much better service if your female.. but that is the nature of MEN..... chauvinistic pigs we are...

i am not current on other gun shops or FFL in the valley. but don't go to TARGET for it either... the few $$$ you save is not worth the hassle.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default aarrgghh

Talked to Walmart - Firearms sales are final. No returns.
    Painful lesson.

Maybe try and see how it shoots first? A pistol is a tool where performance is what really counts, especially a bigbore for backwoods protection. A Ruger isn't a custom 1911, it is a low priced mass produced heavyduty hand cannon. If you don;t like it I'm sure you can find a buyer for it around here. Good luck. BTW I really like my RHs and SRHs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDeepPlay View Post
    Talked to Walmart - Firearms sales are final. No returns.
    Painful lesson.
    well start with new grips.. pacmeyer are nice on ruger for the relitive low cost of them. and make them look better..

go shooting agreed guns are tools and ruger makes a fine weapon, i have several and no complaints.

look at it as a stepping point and make it the one you want ....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks guys - That does make sense and actually makes me feel better. I'll keep it and put some rounds through it. See what I think then.

I'd get on the phone with Ruger right away. I've had something over a dozen of their revolvers, and all have been A+ in fit and finish. They've got an outstanding warranty and prompt service, so other than the hassles, no sweat I think.

And yeah. Shop elsewhere. The price difference is worth the service and knowledge.

Default contact ruger

Definitely contact ruger right away. I have gotten outstanding service from them in the past no hassles at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    rule # 1

never buy a gun you can not touch and hold....
    So the Kel-tec I bought NIB on gunbrokers for $190 is a gamble??

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    So the Kel-tec I bought NIB on gunbrokers for $190 is a gamble??

hmmm would you like a Philip's or standard drive?

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    hmmm would you like a Philip's or standard drive?
    hahaha! good one..

God I hope it isnt a lemon.. but if it is Kel-tec will repair within 8 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    hahaha! good one..

God I hope it isnt a lemon.. but if it is Kel-tec will repair within 8 weeks
    and that is a good point... where we buy things has a lot to do with it...

Gun brokers has a return and insurance policy if i understand it correctly... similar to Ebay that does not sell fire arms.

shooters pro shop also auctions NIB firearms. and guarantees them...

where as.. many of the shelf stores will not..but 99.999999999% of the time the manufacture will

meet on face book here

My 4 " redhawk is pretty darn nice I think. That's weird that they didn't let you handle it. That was the first think did when mine showed up. We bought it from walmart also. I'd definitely call Ruger, I'd do it before you shoot it.

The ruger forums have a ton of info. May take a few days to sift through the crap but the info is there.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Not much pride of ownership with this one. I'm not sure I can ignore the issues and keep the pistol. Anybody ever try to return a firearm to Walmart?
    I agree with Snyd, my Redhawk looks great and is better now since I had it bead blasted and the barrel slabbed. It's already been said but calling Ruger should be your next step. I have confidence if it is wrong they will fix it. I have always had great service with Ruger. Please let us know what you find out.

Default I can gurantee you that if you sent this off to Ruger with a complaint,

I just picked up a new Redhawk at Wasilla Walmart. They don't let you actually handle it in the store so I did not get a close look at it till I got home. I'm very dissapointed in the quality of workmanship. The crane assembly and frame don't line up either horizontally or vertically with an uneven fingernail size gap between them. The machined scallops on either side of the rear sight ramp aren't even. Uneven machining and finish overall on the gun. It looks like this one somehow was made in a hurry and skipped quality control or inspection.

I've never seen a fit & finish this bad on a S&W revolver. This is my first Ruger - Are they usually this bad?

Thanks
    I can gurantee you that if you sent this off to Ruger with a complaint, they will have someone's ass for the condition that the revolver left the factory in. They will probably give you another weapon, or re-build that one. They take that stuff pretty seriously at Ruger. The Red Hawk was to be a premium revolver, and is known as an excellent piece. It was never intended to be a spaghetti copy of an American gun.

Smile big box stores...

Big box stores seldom employ "gun guys" and they don't want you to drop the hammer. I just tell them if I can't check it out I won't consider buying it as returning a fire arm is a pain. About 10 years ago or so I had 5 Kimber 1911's laid out on a counter at Fred Meyers in Soldotna. After I picked out the one with the best trigger and slide to frame fit my daughter and I bought it for my son-in-law. It took some coaxing on our part to get this done. I guese what I am trying to say is if the store won't let you check out the gun take your buisness else where.

You supported wallmart what can I say

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You supported wallmart what can I say
    I have a different take on it. I/we bought our 4" 45 Colt Redhawk from walmart since they were the only one in town who would/could even get one.

I walked in to the BIG DOG sporting goods store here in town and approached the stern faced gray beared "expert" behind the gun counter and asked him if they had or could get me a 4" Redhawk 45 Colt. He said "naw, that's that new one they just came out with, how about this 44?".... huh???.... It had been out for over a year at that time...that ol boy needs to read the catalog sitting on the counter. I did a 180 and split.

I went to the other place in town where i have purchased guns in the past and buy most of my loading stuff from. I asked them the same and their answer was, ya.... well.... I might order one in sometime in the next few months..... maybe.... they wouldn't do a special order. Yes, I did ask.

So, I go into walmart, ask the same question to a gal who promptly pulls out the catalog/order book. Flips though it to the Rugers, finds the 4" Redhawk in 44 mag and says "want me to see if our supplier has one in stock, this is an old catalog and walmart hasn't updated it yet this year, the 45's not in it yet" I says yup, she picks up the phone and makes arrangements to get one coming for me. Bam, just like that..... Plus it was 50 bucks less than internetlowballgundealer.com I then talked guns and ammo with her and found her very knowledgeable and helpful. The gun ended up on backorder and she would actually pick up the phone and call me and let me know what was up. Great service and a great price.

Walmart has the best prices on guns here locally. And last time I checked, they are employing locals and are an American company.

I have no problem buying from them and feel no need to apologize for it either.

Still don't change the fact they are ruining our country.Wallmarts in many states won't even sell hanguns and Texas is one. Once they put the Mom&Pop shops out of business in Alaska they will probably stop here also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast