Thread: .338-06...

Question .338-06...

Thinking of / starting a new build for a hunting rifle.

.338-06 on a winchester classic stainless action. Krieger tube at 22 inches (unkown contour at this time, maybe 5 or 6 fluted) and AI wood stock (non fancy). Hoping this can be the "one gun" that will fill all my needs from white tail to bear in the lower 48.

Have a 7mmRM being built by Gary Ocock as we speak for longish shots in the open, the .338-06 would be for 300 yds and in, forest type setting.

What say you? Thoughts on it's usefulness as a one gun hunter?

Thumbs up 338-06

Used one for years 338-06 with IMR 4320 and 210gr Nosler Part today the 200gr Accubond would be nice with 54 to 56 of IMR 4320 and WW cases with FC 210Match primer.

Went to the 338 Win mag......needed alittle more range.

Mine was a REM 700 action with Mcgowen barrel and HS stock.

Still have a nice Safari Inter Booked Black Bear on the wall rugged that placed 61st in the SAF books.

Quote Originally Posted by FROST18E View Post
    Thinking of / starting a new build for a hunting rifle.

.338-06 on a winchester classic stainless action. Krieger tube at 22 inches (unkown contour at this time, maybe 5 or 6 fluted) and AI wood stock (non fancy). Hoping this can be the "one gun" that will fill all my needs from white tail to bear in the lower 48.

What say you? Thoughts on it's usefulness as a one gun hunter?
    Sounds great IMO except for the barrel contour. Can't say I would go heavier than a #3 and at 22 inches I used a Douglas #2 for my 338/06. It's a very fine cartridge for hunting medium sized game in the L48, AK or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Lower 48 here. Built one on a VZ24 mauser in scout config with a 23 inch shilen #2 taper. 250 grain round nose for hogs, 200 grain hornadys for white tail, 215 sierras for mulies, 250 grain sierras from 300-400 yard elk and 275 woodleighs for bear.
    Can't get more versital than that. You'd be well served by this cartridge.

Sure agree with the rest of the posters, excellent choice and great round. I'm on my second 338-06 and really like it. It is an efficiency improvement over the 30-06 for the big bullets, and easy to load for. Such a great range of bullets too.

I would recommend not going AI, just staying with the regular round. Honestly I don't think you would ever see enough gain with the AI, especially with your 22" tube for all the extra hassle factor.

Is going with the 22 inch barrel to short? should I go with a 24? Not sure how much velocity I'm going to loose over 2 inches. I was even thinking about doing 21 3/4 inches (Optimal Barrel Timing theory).

What bullets are the .338-06 shooters using on deer, elk, moose, black bear, brown/grizz?

What powders work well with this caliber?

I hear ya about the smaller contour but I think I'll be okay with a #5 fluted to cut down on weight and have a rigid barrel, especially if I do the 21 3/4 or 22 inch barrel.

thanks for the answers.

Thumbs up sounds good...

You should end up with a very good hunting rifle that will hold 5 in the magazine. I can't think of any thing the 210 Nosler Partition wouldn't work on in the "lower 48". I am still trying to figure out why I got a 338-06 with a Mauser action, Douglas barrel and McMillan stock at such a good deal, and then sold it. What was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    You should end up with a very good hunting rifle that will hold 5 in the magazine. I can't think of any thing the 210 Nosler Partition wouldn't work on in the "lower 48". I am still trying to figure out why I got a 338-06 with a Mauser action, Douglas barrel and McMillan stock at such a good deal, and then sold it. What was I thinking?
    That was a very nice rifle. Sorry to hear that you sold it.

And yes, a 210-grain Partition is perfect for a lot of hunting situations. Also, one can switch to a TSX of about the same weight for tougher game, or even a 225-grain TSX.

Might really want to look at the .35 Whelen Ackley Improved. And read the review of Reloader 17 on 6mmbr.com.

My all-around of choice, living in AK, is the .338/300... Why do we always have to wildcat up for the .338 and then the accuracy guys go .30/338 to get the longer neck?

But back to a standard .473 boltfaced ctg... The Whelen AI can do more than any other. Shoot light loads with pistol bullets, shoot that one 225gr boat tail load all the time so you know it by heart, one accurate LongRange bullet at more velocity than the .338-06 can produce. Then you have the 250gr Spitzers and the 180gr shorties.

Do you own a .357mag handgun? You can shoot your pistol bullets and try heavy cast bullets in your handgun. More versatile. Ackley shoulder makes your brass last longer.

Costs more to shoot the .338... Why nobody makes a popularly priced bullet under 200gr. There are tons of them for the .358/.357. Try finding a .338 mold unless you want the Lee. Lots of .35cal molds out there. Look at the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

.338-06 is fine. Think I would look at the .338/284 in a Long Action receiver or maybe .358/284?? But I have Whelens...

Default 338-06

No brainer... good cartridge. Easy to load and make shoot. No need to go to AI... just complicates life. The 35 Whelen is the one to consider going to AI- not for performance but for more positive headspacing. Have two of the 338-06s. One Shilen barreled and one Krieger. Can't tell the difference between them. The 24" barrel makes more sense as does a slightly heavier contour. Both mine like 225 gr Accubonds and Varget. The Weatherby 338-06 brass also simplifies life.

Default 338/06

Mine is a rebored Rem 700 (initially a 30.06). I used the 225gr TSX bullets with good results on 3 Gemsbok in Namibia back in August. I shot two deer with it last year, one with the 225gr TSX and one with the 225gr Win. Silvertip. The TSX seemed to kill faster, in that the deer went right down and stayed there. But, it was closer and smaller than the one hit with the Win. bullet. When I got mine, I used mostly 250s as that's the bullet (and heavier) that it was designed to be used with. I haven't chronographed the 225s yet, but will. With the 250s get an honest 2500 fps with 56grs of 4064..Elmer (Keith) had recommended 60grs of 4350, but it filled the case too much, and only gave slightly less than 2400fps, so 4064 worked out better, with less of it. I prefer the longer bullets as they have a better BC, and retain velocity well, and actually have a better trajectory than the short 210s etc. I personally don't see the 338/06 as a 300+ yds gun, though I made shots on 2 Gemsbok at over 250, with one being over 300. I don't see that as a problem though as few places I've been where 300 yd shots available, and most folks not competent to make one at that range anyway. I had mine sighted in 2" high at 200 yds several years back, and shot on a 400 yds target, and the drop (250gr bullet), at 400 yds was 48 inches. But this was with a RN bullet, and a spitzer would probably be less. But they aren't going to have the trajectory of a 280 with a 140TSX, for sure. I am hoping to go on a Moose hunt next year, and will use the 338/06 in that case.

Sold my custom Rem 700 in 338-06 few years back and bought the Weatherby UL in 338-06.

I still used the same load with IMR 4320 as I did back in 1999 with 210gr Part.

When Reloader 17 was introduced I switched and 63.0 with 225gr Part (2700 FPS) is my load today.
    Alaska

My Weatherby UL shoots a 200 gr. Accubond at 2700 fps using 52.5 grs. H4895. I cant think of much that wouldn't kill.

Great cartridge for what you describe. Easy to load for like the rest of these fellows mentioned. I am a 270 guy through and through but had a 338-06 AI made and love it for the Moose and Elk. And like alot have already mentioned I too shoot 210gr bullets except in the format of a Swift Scirocco. It is a Remington 700 with a 24 in barrel. Good luck with your build.

I took some .338 ruger compact mag (about the same power as the 338-06), and necked it up to accept 350 grain 416 caliber speer mag tips. I call it:
    "416 wicked thumpah"

Just got to get ADfields to help get this wildcat together sometime. Lookin at the freakin pig next to a .358 winchester with 250 grainers, makes it look like a varmint cartridge.............

Looks great, mainer, should be slightly more powerful than the 400 Whelen, and with a much better shoulder to headspace on.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I took some .338 ruger compact mag (about the same power as the 338-06), and necked it up to accept 350 grain 416 caliber speer mag tips. I call it:
    "416 wicked thumpah"

Just got to get ADfields to help get this wildcat together sometime. Lookin at the freakin pig next to a .358 winchester with 250 grainers, makes it look like a varmint cartridge.............

Whenever your reedy I am too. First thing needs done is send that dummy round to PTG or Manson to get a reamer made and your name attached to the idea before it becomes Billy Bob‘s 416RCM or something because he did it first.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona