Thread: Turnagain/Hope Black Bear

Default Turnagain/Hope Black Bear

Anyone have an idea on when we should give up until spring? I'm fairly new to bear hunting but have invested a lot of time in it and would really like to get one before they bed down. Thanks in advance!

Me thinks they are a snoozing for the duration. With the cold temperatures, I'm willing to bet the bears have denned up for the winter. I think the next time you see them will be spring, or until we have a relatively warm spell. Then they may poke their head out.

Default Seldovia Black Bears? Asleep???

I have the same question, but in reference to the Black Bears around Seldovia. Have the black bears around Seldovia bedded down for the winter?

Spirit Bear

Monday Last week, the 2'nd I was two seperate bears a mile off the Hope Road, have seen nothing but a few Caribou and three Coyotes on Wed. the 11'th.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully I can get one before I leave here which is the end of May!

Thumbs up ...in theory...

If you find a black bear still out now, in theory at least, it should be a mature boar. In my experience, once the snow is on the groung to stay, and it is now, Kenai Peninsula black bears are in the dens until very early May (+- a week).

But, although the days have gotten short, it is still a great time to be out and about. If you whack a black bear this late in the year, please do tell us about it. And If you whack a bear, the fur should be as prime as it will ever be.

If you don't find a bear now, you will in May.

Dennis

Smile

As of a week ago, two sets fresh tracks in the new snows... likely a sow and her near maturing cub. That's Anchorage on the hillside.