Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Caribou anyone have any luck?

Default Kenai Caribou anyone have any luck?

Still looking for one. Been out three times twice on the west and once on the east side of the area. Any one know of an area where there are a few?

Thanks

They are spread quite evenly throughout the Kenai Mountains at low densities and are always on the move. The best way to be successful on this hunt is to cover as many miles as possible. Ultimately, this hunt has a ~5% success rate for a reason.

Got a snow machine........?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

or you can just follow brian around out there... i hear he is good at same day hunts this year..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default no snow machine

Can't snow machine resurection trail until after the 30th of Nov.

Game and Fish biologist said they are from swan lake about 10 miles in on resurection from the south and north on the west wind blown side of the mountain. Not quite a day hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Game and Fish biologist said they are from swan lake about 10 miles in on resurection from the south and north on the west wind blown side of the mountain. Not quite a day hunt.
    Again, the caribou are spread all over those mountains, but at very low densities. I've seen them from Palmer Creek Road (once) to Devil's Pass (once) to the far side of Resurrection Pass near Fox Creek (once), and a number of other places that I don't know quite how to describe. Apparently the concentrations around Swan Lake to Big Indian and Abernathy Creeks are a bit higher, but that's not the only place they're found. Heck, I know of folks that have spotted them on the ridges above the Seward Highway. On very rare occasions this hunt can be done in a day. The only way to do it, though, is to put on your boots and cover some ground.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Can't snow machine resurection trail until after the 30th of Nov.

Saw some this week back of the cabin, most likely cows & calves. Did not check them out with scope.

Angry better have your luck this year...

the communities of Hope and Sunrise have applied for "customary and traditional" use status of the kenai mountain caribou herd. if recognized then they will get "subsistence preference" and the rest of us can kiss this hunt good-bye.
    this despite the fact that caribou were extirpated from the KP in 1902, and there were no caribou until re-established by the state in the early 70's. the first hunt was in '73.
    in all likelihood the feds WILL recognize C&T for Hope and Sunrise, and we will be screwed.
    what a bunch of crap.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    the communities of Hope and Sunrise have applied for "customary and traditional" use status of the kenai mountain caribou herd. if recognized then they will get "subsistence preference" and the rest of us can kiss this hunt good-bye.
    this despite the fact that caribou were extirpated from the KP in 1902, and there were no caribou until re-established by the state in the early 70's. the first hunt was in '73.
    in all likelihood the feds WILL recognize C&T for Hope and Sunrise, and we will be screwed.
    what a bunch of crap.
    the rest of us that put in for it and never hunt it you mean....??>>

have you looked at the stats on this hunt?

HopeAK? f you shoot it and i do all the dirty work will ya split it? i am on my way...

Dave, Sportsmans Whse and Cabelias will be the first to go.. when the state is all subsistance because the limits are to low...and teh subsistance will ALWAYS win out here over sport... and i am learning 99% of the orgs that deal with hunting .. are sport..and we dont see eye to eye on all of them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    what a bunch of crap.

I have 15.5 acres for sale, guaranteed Caribou and Goats in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have 15.5 acres for sale, guaranteed Caribou and Goats in the back yard.
    any of the goats in milk?

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    any of the goats in milk?

I'll have some Brown Bears that will need milking in MAY.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I'll have some Brown Bears that will need milking in MAY.
    I want to watch that!

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    I want to watch that!
    bring that camera will

meet on face book here

bring that camera will
    Sounds like I now have plans for Memorial Day!!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    I want to watch that!

You need to get that on video so the rest of us can see it as well!

the rest of us that put in for it and never hunt it you mean....??>>

have you looked at the stats on this hunt?
    Hey, hey, hey....don't lump us all in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hey, hey, hey....don't lump us all in that category.
    you know what i mean... very low percentage on hunters in this draw...

meet on face book here

you know what i mean... very low percentage on hunters in this draw...
    Yes, I know. Do you know the numbers? Do even 30% go afield? I know the harvest statistics hover around 5%, but I don't know the participation numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yes, I know. Do you know the numbers? Do even 30% go afield? I know the harvest statistics hover around 5%, but I don't know the participation numbers.
    last time i checked it was < 20% very poor.

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast