Thread: Soooo excited!!

Default Soooo excited!!

A buddy got a new little femal beagle when he was down south. Says she has hunting and field trial experience. We are hoping to get out Saturday morning to see if we can find some bunnies for her, or, see if she can find some for us.
    This will be the first time ever I've hunted over a beagle, or any hound for that matter.
    I am so stoked! It feels like Christmas. And I am willingly leaving my labs home! They won't be happy, but I'll make it up to them.
    What do they say in the beagle world? Is it "TALLY HO"? Gee, I hope she can keep up with me.

Hey Corry, (I think it's Corry sorry if I'm mistaken)

Bet you find out that these snowshoe bunnies we have up here don't co-operate like the cotton tail bunnies down south.

A friend had a beagle in Bethel years ago. He'd run the bunnies alright but they didn't make circles and come back like they were supposed to.

Best place we found to run them was on a big island in the Kuskokwim that the bunnies had to stay on.

Default Not a Corry

But that's ok. Guess we'll get a snowshoe hare education. If this does not work, then we'll plan on finding some islands if the snow does not get too deep.
    Heck, if this works out I may just need to go buy a new shotgun. What do you folks think, slim beavertail forearm on a light weight SXS, or a quick pointing little auto feeder like the Beretta? Both in 20ga. I already have a sweet Ruger in 20 that I love.
    And to top off all this, I just love eating bunnies!

My first experience wabbit hunting was when I was stationed at Fort Sill. Loved all the outdoor activities there. Great fun!!
    Good luck out there. Keep us posted.

Default I am Super Jealous

I grew up hunting with Beagles and raised them most of my life. The cool thing about a Beagle, which is different from hounds (owned plenty of both) is when running a rabbit, a Beagle barks every time it's foot hits the ground and THEY HAVE FOUR FEET :-)

3 Beagles pushing a rabbit to you can sound like a Freight Train with the muffler pulled off coming at you. It is a super adrenaline rush. They have the Heart of a Lion and will run until they are dead if you let them.
    As far as what to say to them. Heck! U mostly just turn them loose and start them towards the cover. It's more like a game of chase where you are cutting in front of them or one person is working the dogs towards a crossing or opening, that you may be standing in.

I noticed in another thread that someone was looking to run a puppy with an experienced dog, might be a blast for everyone involved, you might want to look them up.

One word of caution, is a Beagle can sometimes be very close to a rabbit and I have seen several get pellets from shots taken to close to the dog, so please be careful.

Have a blast! Let us know how it went.

Louis

Default Snowshoes verses Cottontails.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Hey Corry, (I think it's Corry sorry if I'm mistaken)

Bet you find out that these snowshoe bunnies we have up here don't co-operate like the cotton tail bunnies down south.

A friend had a beagle in Bethel years ago. He'd run the bunnies alright but they didn't make circles and come back like they were supposed to.

Best place we found to run them was on a big island in the Kuskokwim that the bunnies had to stay on.
    This is very true. Snowshoes should be hunted like we used to do with our Swamp Rabbits back home, which is you station in front of the dogs and try to cut them off. Snowshoes and Swampers will run a straight line for a long way, better to try and drive them out to an opening

Default We be very very careful

I'd die if I shot a dog unintentionally. That would be just very bad Karma. Thanks for the reminders.
    I'll let the guy who owns the dog get it figured out. I am there for support, and if lucky, to get a shot off. The only thing I really care about shooting a rabbit is for the dog. I hope she has twice the fun I do.
    I just checked the weather and it is -8. That seems pretty cold to me for a short hair dog, especially one that just got here from much warmer weather. We were planning on hunting down low, but maybe we'll try up a bit higher to gain a few degrees.
    I can't wait to hear her sing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey greg if ou want to head to clear with pup let me know.. i will give up some trails .....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default WX Hold

It is almost 9am and we are on cold weather hold. Just not sure how a recently transplanted beagle will do at -10. I have a couple of spots that don't hold as many hares but we can stay close to the truck to get her back inside if the cold is too much.
    Vince, sure will keep you in mind for some ideas down that way. And as always, spots revealed are secrets kept.

Default Beagles are tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    It is almost 9am and we are on cold weather hold. Just not sure how a recently transplanted beagle will do at -10. I have a couple of spots that don't hold as many hares but we can stay close to the truck to get her back inside if the cold is too much.
    Vince, sure will keep you in mind for some ideas down that way. And as always, spots revealed are secrets kept.
    Like you mentioned, stay close to the truck. But! If I was comfortable that I could stop her and call her back, I would take her out, if only for a little cold weather conditioning. I would worry most about her feet, so I would she how she took to booties and get after it.

Default Rabbit hunt

My Field Bred Eng Springer does great on the rabbits as well as the grouse. Got three of them last Saturday along with one grouse and let a ruffed get away. If anyone would like to give up spots for ruffed grouse hunting, I promise not to tell anyone but my springer.

Default Its a bust

We tried to find bunnies, but it just was not happening where we went. Poor little girl was confused and wanted to be at the truck more than hunting through deep snow and heavy brush.
    We found one, and tried to get her on it to no avail. So even though as far as bringing home meat was a bust, and getting to listen to her sing was a bust, we still hunted.
    I need to get her a couple of bunnies to smell and sniff. She just kind of acted like she was not sure what we wanted her to do. I am game to give her another try, but want to start out easy with her.
    So better luck next time.

SWEET! I loved running swamp rabbits in Oklahoma.We'd turn em out start a fire and wait for the dogs to chase em back. You brought back some memories.

Anyhow hope it goes better next time and hopefully not as cold. I'll keep an eye out for rabbits for ya.Im going to be setting snares out soon I hope and hopefully spot some rabbits. Daniel

Default New Hunting Area

I have never had it happen to me, but one of the things a trainer friend of mine does, is take his dogs to different areas to get them used to hunting country that they are not fimiliar with.
    Who knows maye with the flt and extreme weather change it could have affected her, but my history with Beagles has always been. If they run they run, no matter what you put them on fresh scent they will run if they have to crawl to do it. But! Hey! It's been a while for me :-)
    I hope she turns out to be a great dog.

Default Training perspective

From a training perspective, we did it wrong. We set her up for failure based on what we, or the owner, thought the dog knew from watching her run a field trial. She did chase a rabbit, she did sing, and she did it all with style.
    Now she is brought to the land of ice and snow, new owner, strange guy comes knocking at the door, and the next thing she knows she is headed down the road in a strange truck.
    We also knew she is timid. So, what did we do right? Not much. She has not been worked with enough on obedience for her to know that the new owner really is the boss. She hasn't been taken out on fun walks to get used to the new surroundings. She wasn't given a dead hare to see if she reacted differently or not. We did not walk her on lead. And, she has never been shot over.
    I want to go out today and find a bunny for her. If I do, I'll try to get it up to the house before it cools off too much. Then we can see where she is at.
    All this is a good reminder that testing a dog, when it fails, is wrong. Just plain wrong. Especially when not all of the things that could have been done first were not. I am not finding fault with the owner. He is a pretty smart dog guy. We just got caught up in the idea of a great hunt over a pretty little beagle.