Thread: Any experience with Taurus 445, or Taurus Revolvers in general?

Default Any experience with Taurus 445, or Taurus Revolvers in general?

I have been putting some serious thought into getting a ccw handgun again, and I have been rolling around a few ideas. The biggest debate is the "agree to disagree" arguement between revolvers and autos. That has all been covered a hundred times before and that is not what I am trying to spark a discussion about. I already have a Ruger LCP (well, I get to use it whenever my wife lets me take it) and I think it is a fine pistol for ccw. As they say, "a 380 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the truck"......

Anyways, I have always had a sweet spot for big bore revolvers especially the 44 special. There are a few different options out there in 44 special, but the one that sparked my interest the most is the Taurus 445. I have never handled one but what little I have read about them is that they are a good little revolver and I saw one on buds gun shop for around $300 for a blued model, which sparked my interest even more. I have handled a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44spl and a smith 696, but the charter has a lot of mixed reviews and the smith is a FINE pistol just a bit out of my price range. I dont have a lot of experience with CCW revolvers or Taurus for that matter, so I was hoping to hear some opinions on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    Anyways, I have always had a sweet spot for big bore revolvers especially the 44 special. There are a few different options out there in 44 special, but the one that sparked my interest the most is the Taurus 445. I have never handled one but what little I have read about them is that they are a good little revolver and I saw one on buds gun shop for around $300 for a blued model, which sparked my interest even more. . . I dont have a lot of experience with CCW revolvers or Taurus for that matter, so I was hoping to hear some opinions on the subject.
    I'm sure this will stir the pot, but IMO the Taurus is a great gun to carry, but a poor gun to shoot. In its favor: it is small, inexpensive and reasonably concealable. However, I'll not use a Taurus in a must fire situation. IME there are too many reliability issues to trust them. Sometimes they are great, but I've just seen too many malfunctions to trust one as a self defense firearm. YMMV

Like 1COR, I have heard a lot off good and bad about Taurus. I can only relate my experience with the two that I own. One a 9mm auto with which I have had no problems, but then again I have only put about 7-800 rounds through it and use it primarily as a bed side gun.

I bought my daughter a Taurus 38 special snub when she was in law school a few years ago. She was at U of FL when the wacko was killing students and chopping off heads. She fired a couple of hundred rounds through it when I bought it for her and later when she became a States Attorney she was required to qualify every six months. The gun is of light construction and all the additional rounds lossened the frame screws and jammed it up once. A little lock-tite fixed that and she has had no problems since with quite a few rounds fired. With a revolver, after you practice, just check that everything is tight and working, it should certainly work for the few rounds you would need in a "situation". Something can break with any of them. I have a Smith 357 now with a problem, I have to get fixed.

Something to consider re your wife, the auto, and the new purchase: Unless ladies are really into shooting and will practice, because of their wrist strength, they sometimes will get limp wristed with an auto causing it to malfuction. Then again, some them can shoot your eyes out with anything.

If you poke around enough forums (this one included), you'll see a lot of negative Taurus reviews. Most of these reviews correspond with my experience. Of the three Taurus handguns I've owned (two autos, one revolver), NONE have worked properly. The revolver was probably the least reliable...there were times when I pulled the trigger and it just wouldn't move. At least when the autos failed to fire I could slap, rack and engage, but the revolver was a paperweight in those situations. If money is a concern, a Ruger SP 101 is a much better solution, and it's more than adequate for people protection. If you're jonesing for a 44 Special, I think you're much better off haunting the gunshows and online auctions looking for a used S&W.

I can put the nix on the CA Bulldog. Owned two, and with lots of shooting they eventually went south. And those were mild factory loads or equivalents.

My only experience with Taurus has been tuning a 38 Special snubbie and a Raging Bull for a friend. Both needed the tuning, but performed well afterward. He's continued to shoot them, and if he's had any problems I'm sure I'd have heard about it.

I agree with continuing your search for a Smith, whether in 44 Special or 44 Mag. Yeah, the frames are bigger, but there's a reason for that.

My only experience has been the little "Tracker" 5 shot 41mag. I shot it little (I didn't want it for a plinker) & it worked flawlessly from the factory.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I only have experience with the Taurus Model 44, shoots great, havent had any issues so far. Than again only owned it since August so time will tell. Great sidearm for me when bowhunting, main reason I bought it.

Had a Taurus 22mag that was a nice carry gun and shot every time I pulled the trigger. The rear sight blade kept falling out so I finely left it out and used the sight base and it shot good enough for defense

I have three Taurus handguns, two revolvers (22lr and ultra light 44 mag) and one pistol (45 acp). All work as they should. I'll buy more without hesitation.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.