Thread: Nosler question

Default Nosler question

Ok, I had already prepped some cases and was getting ready to pour powder tonight when I saw that I was missing one important piece of info. I need the COAL for .224 Nosler 50 grain Spitzer (#39522) sitting on top of a LC case trimmed to 1.750.

The Nosler book is one I haven't picked up yet but I do have the thin spiral bound book that lists loads for several different bullets and powders and the pages are copies from the manuals. My problem came in when I noticed that all the data was included from the Nosler manual except for the COAL.

Any help out there?

Thanks

You must be refering to the 223 Rem for your AR that is soon to never arrive? If so my Nosler book does not give an OAL for that specific bullet. Although it does state 2.260" as the max SAAMI OAL for 223 Rem. Try that length, test in mag, chamber, and eject for function.

Oh man, sorry, I guess I didn't tell you. I canceled the order through RRA as it looked like it was going to be next year sometime before it would ship. I then just went online and got the RRA upper from Rainier Arms and the RRA lower (using a guy with an FFL) from PK Firearms. Both arrived within 5 days and I saved $5.00! I now have a 16'' flattop carbine but it has the cheapo standard yank-till-it-goes-bang trigger which I hate. However, using iron sights I've finally gotten it to shoot 1 1/2 groups at 50 yards so next I'm going to see what happens at 100 yards.

I'm happily loading away in my garage and am now trying to stock up up on 53 grain Sierra or Hornady FBHP bullets. Which are not available ANYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    You must be refering to the 223 Rem for your AR that is soon to never arrive? If so my Nosler book does not give an OAL for that specific bullet. Although it does state 2.260" as the max SAAMI OAL for 223 Rem. Try that length, test in mag, chamber, and eject for function.
    Weird that the book doesn't give a length. It's getting late tonight and I have to work tomorrow so I'll give up on loading anything tonight and just test it in the chamber tomorrow evening and see.

Bum deal for you. While in Tucson last week they had a gun show at the Pima fairgrounds and a vendor had a healthy supply of RRA AR's at very good prices. I would've bought one if I didn't already own a Stevens in 223 and a R-15. 223 Rem brass and Speer 55gr FMJ's were plentiful down there so I stocked up.

I'm thinking I might have my son who lives in Auburn WA check down there for what I need. He's a cop and his best friend in the PD is also the armorer so they should be able to get me some deals and then I'll just have him ship them via Flat Rate Priority. Cheaper than a plane ticket.

You still shooting out there or are you done for the winter? I ran out there last Sunday to test a couple of loads and found the place jammed with shooters. I might go out on the 21st just for the heck of it to watch the silhouette shooters play.

I loaded up a few hundred rounds for a buddy with a DPMS AR-15 and some cheap Chinese mags. 2.201 was as long as those mags would tolerate and feed properly. He's shooting 40gr V-Max's and doing well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    thats what both mine say also......

hey bob.. if in your travles... getting the Noslers books..try to find the fifth edition to go with the 6th.the difference is the #6 is almost exclusively Noslers brass and the fifth is win, fed, or rem brass.. and the case capacity's are different not to mention a few other loads. i have really started using both in my planning now...

i just found a BUNCH of 125 gn Noslers in .30 cal the other day to make some light loads for my daughters new .06 that is on the way... in all places... Valdez stuff is out there.. keep digging.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    hey bob.. if in your travles... getting the Noslers books..try to find the fifth edition to go with the 6th.the difference is the #6 is almost exclusively Noslers brass and the fifth is win, fed, or rem brass.. and the case capacity's are different not to mention a few other loads. i have really started using both in my planning now...
    Good point...

I've weighed empty prepped cases lately and found that Hornady and Nosler seem to be very similar to Winchester in wall thickness and empty weight. Walls are running in the .010 to .012 range.

Federal and Remington are thick and heavy, less powder. At least this holds true in .308Win, 300RUM and 375H&H. Walls are in the .013 to .015 range.

Lapua is right in the middle for the .308 cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    thats what both mine say also......

i just found a BUNCH of 125 gn Noslers in .30 cal the other day to make some light loads for my daughters new .06 that is on the way... in all places... Valdez stuff is out there.. keep digging.
    I have a used 5th edition on the way to me already and I was going to order a few 6th editions for my store to sell but, like all the other manuals, they are only sold through the company and not through any distributors I use so I'd have to buy waaayy too many to make it a good idea.

Now, if I was to convert my store into a reloading supplies shop...