Thread: Snowshoe Hares near Fairbanks?

Default Snowshoe Hares near Fairbanks?

Looking for a place near Fairbanks that has a good population of Snowshoe Hares. Any suggestions? My idea of near is 120 miles or less.

Thanks!

KP

I hear people mention hares out towards Delta. I believe there may be some threads on this topic in the small game hunting forum.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i would start just out side FBK and go from there...

last year was the peak of the season every where here... there are still plenty of hare all over.. and fox are doing well also...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The snow is on the ground, look for the rabbit runs.

Most likely about a few miles from you.

Default I guess this should be moved to small game hunting

I have been out and about lately and have found only one small pocket of Hares. I have the kids with me so I can't be to aggressive on locating them. I am placing out a few lynx sets and would like to have the hares as bait, currently I am using old herring. We have had a little bit of luck on fox up the Dalton.

KP,
    Drive the dike that parallels the richardson between Fairbanks and North Pole, it ends up behind the Fairbanks airport but if you stay more towards North Pole you should see plenty of sign and hares. Plus the kids can stay in the warm truck til you see something, just an idea. Good luck.
    Cody

I heard the road to Vince's house and his driveway is a good spot

Default Hares

I was driving up the Steese toward Chatanika this fall early one morning and I saw hare after hare along the road just after starting downhill on Cleary Summit. This was from the turnoff to Fort Knox and Fairbanks Creek Road to the bottom of the hill.

Hope it helps you.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I was driving up the Steese toward Chatanika this fall early one morning and I saw hare after hare along the road just after starting downhill on Cleary Summit. This was from the turnoff to Fort Knox and Fairbanks Creek Road to the bottom of the hill.

Hope it helps you.
    becarfull trying to hunt along here. this is a very dangerious peice of road.. with long sharp corners and long drop aways. ir our hunting the steece best to head on up pas the the Chatinika area... lots of good ground
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I heard the road to Vince's house and his driveway is a good spot
    only if your running a trappline

meet on face book here

Kp...

drop me an email, I know of a close spot with easy access for kids, it aint a secret by anymeans but I aint going to post it publically either.

tradbow@hotmail.com

We did the whole Chatanika route and didn't see one hare a couple of weeks ago. Not even a track. However, we did score on the way home and it wasn't anywhere near Fbks.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"