Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Shanty

Question Ice Fishing Shanty

Does anyone have some advice for making a portable ice shanty? I have a few ideas, but since I have never built one, it would be nice to hear some experienced input. Thanks!!

check out www.iceshanty.com
    in the forums there are some plans and alot of folks who have built shantys

Thank you for the Info!!

sportsmans ware house has the eskimos quickfish III for only 149. Its a hard deal to beat

Default Shanty

I have an idea, i have an extra 2-3 person pop tent. Thought about cutting the bottom out of it to use for ice fishing. Enough room for a few people, gear, etc...
    <*)))><

Default FIshgirl

The problem is how are you going to stake it down? A little wind on a lake and it is going to take off like a sail. I lost a thermos fishing the Saint Lawrence River in NY when the wind started to blow. It blew it into Canada!

You might take a battery powered drill and drill some homes to stake it down. Just drill some holes, place old hemp rope in the hole and pour water in the holes. They will freeze quickly and all you have to do is cut the ropes off flush with the ice when done.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

What we did once was cut a flap in the floor of an old tent. you can fold the flap back, but still use the weight of your chairs, heater, tackle, thermos, and your own arses to hold the thing down...just a hole in the middle of the tent big enough to fish through, but leave enough of the floor to use as a floor.

Our original idea was that we could just Duct tape it back together for camping....Not such a great idea, but it did work great for ice fishing.

How portable do you want it pull by hand or snowmachine? Here are some pics of one I built to pull behind my snowmachine. 4'x8', most of the building material was salvaged.

click on pics for fullsize

Default Ice shanties

I really wish I had kept a picture collection of ice shanties that I have known. On the St. Lawrence River back in NY it was much like "Grump Old Men."

Some had bunks, TV antennas, generators, woodstoves, windows, cooking and eating provisions. I remember one guy who kept a BB gun and would shoot the tip-ups of others setting them off for fun. Football games, card games, ice skating......
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

there is a portable forsale on this forsale boards as of a couple days ago now.

We tried the tent idear. Got into a windy situatoin and no amount of weight was going to hold that tent in one place. We filled it with everything we had, tied off to the auger, plum miserable, not to mention freaking cold inside! They do sell some ice steaks for steaking down fish houses and they MIGHT work well enough to hole the fishhouse down in one place. Leave a good 12" flap of the old floor, fold it out and cover that with snow to help keep the draft down and you have an idear, or just buy the quickfish III and be done with it! I've seen it in action and it looks like a nice setup. I do prefer my otter lodge, sure wish I had a solo otter!

Cool Shanty I and II- you NEED this info!!!!!!!!

Shanty I- A 3W x 6L x 8H plywood moving box. Cut 2' off the top (or however high for headroom), and re-attach the roof. Cut out a door. If you want to get fancy, cut out a window or two and put plexi or lexan. Insulate with scrap blue board or batting (or none at all if it's not going to be too cold). Cut 2 holes in floor. Find some old downhill skis for runners and a hitch tongue and you have a portable shanty for under $50. Won't blow away either. Don't forget the beer and mostly naked chick posters and you have a real man's shanty.

Shanty II (for overnight use, or if you are bringing that special someone with you)- A 10-12' pull behind travel trailer (I acquired one for free). Cut 10-12" holes in strategic locations in the floor (try to miss the frame rails). Again decorate with favorite posters, antique beer memorabilia, or personalized drawings (I once held a 24" rainbow against one of the walls and traced it's outline--be creative). Once you are parked in your favorite location (this one is towed behind your vehicle), uncover the holes in the floor and start drilling. The 2 stoke smoke will clear in about 3 minutes (w/ windows open) and you can proceed to skirt in the shanty with 2' wide double sided foil insulated wrap. You can add a car stereo, strobe and disco ball for a personalized touch. Make sure the propane heater works or just re-plumb for a MR. Heater. It's nice to be able to roll over in the morning, drop a line from the comforts of your sleeping bag. Once enough fish are caught for a hearty breakfast, you can roll out of your bag, fire up the propane burners and create some tantalizing eggs benedict, trout style. The only drawback is when you go outside to take a wee (while only wearing boxers and house slippers because it's so d@mn warm in the shanty), the guy that is freezing his @ss off on his 5 gallon bucket will undoubtedly smell the good eats and casually ask to see "what kind of set-up you have there". Of course this is nothing short of a plea to be invited in to the warmth of your $100 shanty paradise. So beware...shanties similar to the one described above do have their drawbacks...handle with care. Of course if that freezing guy is actually 2 college co-eds, you can thank me later!

Good luck fishing.

where does one buy one or two of these plywood moving boxes for $50.00???

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    where does one buy one or two of these plywood moving boxes for $50.00???
    You call the local moving companies and ask them if they have any they are throwing away today. They destroy and discard them everyday. The $50 is for the other supplies needed to complete the project.

Default shanty plans

If anyone is still lookiing for collapsible shanty plans? I have a set I bought off of ebay that I'd be happy to share if you PM me.

cost is around a $100 for new materials and even less if you hit a few spots in town that through the stuff in the garbage.

Default Homemade ice house

I looked at online plans a few years ago and then just came up with my own plan. Originally it was planned to be a portable (hinged ends and removeable top 1x1 supports), but I got a Eskimo quick-flip portable that year so modified plans to be a leave-on-the-lake house.

4' x 8' x 6' 3" (wanted to be able to stand up), plywood ends/door/floor, heavier tarp side walls/roof. 4 holes w/ covers, vents for running heater & windows for checking tip-ups. Built this in winter 04 for under $100 (some salvaged plywood).

Last wind storm gave it a few tears, but not bad for 4th winter. (Doubles as a summer storage shed for sleds/snow shovels/skis and everything else....)

I'm over at Eielson if you want to take a look before building your own.

AK_BigO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AK_BigO; 12-10-2007 at 21:03. Reason: added dimensions

Daveinthebush

The shanty's back in Michigan were like that my great uncle's had a TV, stove, refrigerator, a dining room table and chairs, bunk beds, a wood stove, and even a bathroom he had one of those little chemical toilets in. He used to spend weeks at a time out there fishing. On some of the larger lakes there were guys who would go around on snow machines and deliver food, beer, and even pizza!

Portable 2 man ice hut.

TSS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

boy jedi that sure looks like harding..... if it is, you might want a stiffer rod LOL!

iceshanty1.pdf
    Here's one you might like.

You'll be cost ahead to buy one! Considering you get 5% at sportsmens, you might be able to get a few discounts to go along with it. Any of the quickflips or some of the other ice houses work well. Talk to Scott, or John (tues/wed), they both have used or been in quite a few of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast