Thread: Tomatoes, tried something new this year

Default Tomatoes, tried something new this year

This year I grew all of my tomatoes in pots and at the end of the season I tried something new. Usually I just sigh and let them die, but this year I brought them all inside and lined the south facing windows with them. Ive been pleasantly surprised. They have gone bonkers. I don't keep my cabin very warm, about 55 during the day while Im at work and 65ish while Im home. Id say my plants are producing 15-20 (6 plants) Walnut sized tomatoes a week. This has made my salads absolutely decadent. Ive even started giving a few tomatoes away to friends. Its been a lot of fun this year.

Mostly I was wondering if anyone else does this? And how long can I expect them to last? Do tomato plants need a dormant time or will they just keep on going next summer when I put them back outside?

Oh and one thing Ive found... They love the leftover coffee. Just about a cup for each plant.

this is good news! i will have to try your method next year!
    Semper Fi!

Lightbulb they will die...

were about out of lite.....at which time u pull the plant from the pot and hang up side down in a cool .. dark..place to ripen...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Wow. Just to think of the tomato plants I chucked in the compost heap this fall... Never heard of anyone putting their plants inside like that.

What a great idea. I just got a Territorial seed catalog last week and have been slavering over the currant size tomatoes. I bet they would do well in this setting. Please provide an update on how long these last.

Default pests pests pests

I have tried to bring in a some tomatoes and or peppers at various times and have ended up sending them back out the door in a few weeks crawling with bugs.

Does anyone bring in plants at the end of summer and have a trick for not encouraging a bloom of bugs??

I have never had good luck overwintering tomato plants (they might need more light than my 5 watt kitchen bulb), but do try to keep a few peppers in the kitchen window throughout the winter. This year I have 3, a sweet yellow banana, a green bell and my favorite and the one that always does the best, the Hot Thai. They generally go dormant for most of the winter and lose a lot of leaves, except the Thai's. But they really go to town with new growth and start to flower come March.

Never had a bug problem with peppers.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default bugs

It depends on the bugs but a weak soapy water spray usually discourages most of the bugs (aphids) I encounter. You can also order praying matntises and they are lots of fun to watch.

My tomatoes are still kicking along. They have gotten smaller due to less sunlight and I am helping them along with a grow light. But its getting sunnier everyday so maybe they will just make it this year. I put them near the monitor so they stay nice and warm.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    I have never had good luck overwintering tomato plants (they might need more light than my 5 watt kitchen bulb), but do try to keep a few peppers in the kitchen window throughout the winter. This year I have 3, a sweet yellow banana, a green bell and my favorite and the one that always does the best, the Hot Thai. They generally go dormant for most of the winter and lose a lot of leaves, except the Thai's. But they really go to town with new growth and start to flower come March.

Never had a bug problem with peppers.
    Grandma Lori
    I've been wanting to try these peppers indoors. They are from Siberia and they are supposed to be good at growing indoors with little light.

http://www.seedstrust.com/joomla/ind...emart&Itemid=2

The seeds trust also has some Russian Tomatoes I am going to try this year.
    That's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    I've been wanting to try these peppers indoors. They are from Siberia and they are supposed to be good at growing indoors with little light.

http://www.seedstrust.com/joomla/ind...emart&Itemid=2

The seeds trust also has some Russian Tomatoes I am going to try this year.

those ones work super good, i grow them in my basement.
    Semper Fi!