Thread: Kodiak Road System Goats

Default Kodiak Road System Goats

Anyone drawn and hunted the road system goat tags? Just looking for general information, whether its worth putting in, or doing one of the lower percentage tags, that might prove better hunting. And if worth doing, what folks have found on the north vs. south. Either of them "fat kid" friendly?

Thanks in advance,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I drew south road system and thought it wouldn't be that bad since we could glass and stalk from the road. Wrong! We hiked in about 6 miles to the goats, and couldn't get back out the way we went in due to the cliffs we had to go down to get to the goat, so took a different route back to the road. We stopped at last light, built a lean too shelter, faught to get a fire going and froze our butts off during the night. Still took us 5 hours the next day to get back to the road. I got a goat, but it wasn't the cake walk that I was expecting.

I hunted the North side of the road system and I think it's over rated. There are a lot goats, but the quality of goats are shot up early in the season. Also, (I think) 80% of the tags are drawn from Kodiak residents. So the goats get a lot of pressure. They are very wary. If you live the town of Kodiak, it's a great tag. Just my two cents.

Default Thanks all,

Nah, I live in Kenai. I am applying for a couple local tags here, and was/still am, trying to figure out what to put in for my 3rd choice. Goat isn't high up my priority list where I want to hire transporter and such (looking to hit Kotz again this year for moose and more depending on draw), so the road system hunt seemed of interest.

Thanks again for the insite.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.