Thread: prelim registration goat harvest #'s, GMU's 7&15

Default prelim registration goat harvest #'s, GMU's 7&15

this isn't final, but it won't likely change much. just posting it to give a realistic look at the late season kenai registration hunt success rates. i don't have a hunt area breakdown, but out of 125 RG permits issued, 15 have reported success.
    last year it was 58/10, and the year before 90/12.

it looks like the steady downward slide of KP goat populations has bottomed out, and numbers have been on a slight increase for the last couple years.
    this population trend coincides with more conservative hunt management strategies coupled with with increased hunter education aimed at reducing the take of nannies.
    looks like it's working !
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Based on?

Are you basing this assumption on the numbers of permits issued/per goats killed? If so, that is very possibly a skewed conclusion in that it doesn't represent the # of hunters in the field, weather, goat location relative to hunting access, correct? I've seen your posts so I know you must have additional evidence (ie...time in the field seeing an increase in goat #s). I do agree that the education has helped, although I still believe a lot of goat hunters are 'once in a lifetime' hunters and don't put in the time to be able to tell the difference between billy and a nanny, which really makes me agree with a nanny counting as 2 goats.

Wink breakfast doesn't cause lunch...

my first paragraph was not basis for the second. success stats are just that, they don't really mean anything about population numbers.

the second statement, about a slight population increase, is based on the fact that sheep numbers, according to our area bio and the report he gave to the homer AC, are on the mend.

another thing he mentioned was that sheep numbers on the plateau between skilak and tustemena, which is where most sheep on the peninsula have historically been, have fallen from ~700 animals to ~ 100 in the last ten years.
    and BEFORE anybody starts crying "WOLF"... wolf numbers on the peninsula have been pretty steady over the same time frame.
    there is concern that it is a disease related decline, and could be associated with a shift in recent weather patterns.
    fortunately, there is now a sheep biologist on staff in anchorage, and just maybe we will get some money for research... maybe.... please....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/