Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anybody ever caught burbot out of delong lake?

Default anybody ever caught burbot out of delong lake?

my brother and i were fishing at delong lake today and we hooked into 3 burbot, anybody else had this experience?

I have seen a few caught there. Nothing over 10 inches though.

I've caught burbot out of Delong. Must have been close to 20 years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Are you sure they aren't BLACKFISH rather than Burbot?

We caught a few small ones last weekend, nothing to yell Boo-Yah about. but they are definetly there. Got some nice sized trout
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Default wow

ive fished there a bunch and ive nvr heard of burbot in that lake before

my money is on blackfish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

there isnt burbot in delong they are alaska blackfish

Those are Alaska blackfish. Caught a few this weekend in Campbell Point/Little Campbell/Beercan Lake. There are no burbot in Anchorage lakes.

Default Delong Blackfish

I would like to catch some of those blackfish. Not for food, but just to see them. Does anyone know how to fish for them through the ice? How deep, what bait, hook size, etc.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Yes there is Burbot in Delong Lake. I know what they look like and yes have caught them there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Yes there is Burbot in Delong Lake. I know what they look like and yes have caught them there.

You should take one into ADF&G in Anchorage. I believe Matt miller is the Area Biologist and Dan bosch is his assistant. They have never documented a burbot in Anchorage area lakes. Lots of Blackfish claimed to be burbot, but no burbot. Blackfish do look very vaguely like a "baby" burbot, but do not get much over 10-12" long.

blackfish are easily cought on eggs or small pieces of herring. Just fish it on the bottom and you will catch one soon enough. If your located in anchorage i would try delong lake and little campbell lake. A tiny jig and a little piece of herring would work as well.

If you were just trying to catch the blackfish I would use the herring to keep away from the salmon smolts.

Are these blackfish native or did ADFG introduce them? DO they taste like burbot?

yes they are native to ak. no they are not to good to eat.

Absolutely amazing, blackfish can breathe air just like humans. Only the tropical swamp eel can say the same. According to the site above they were illegally introduced to the anchorage area and eat first year pike. The page also said that natives have used this fish to feed their dogs or to eat themselves when resources are low. I suppose that hints towards the tastiness of the meat then. Dogs first, humans last case scenario. MMMMM tasty.

Default air-breathing fish

Actually, there're a few species of fish that can breathe air. The following is pulled off the net:

In fact one species of lungfish must breathe air or it will drown. In addition to having gills, lungfishes have one or two primitive lungs for breathing air. This enables them to survive in poorly oxygenated waters. Their lobed fins enable them to crawl across the land.

There are six species of lungfishes. Lungfishes are only found in the Southern Hemisphere in Australia (Neoceratodus forsteri), Africa (Protopterus sp.) and in South America. Lungfishes are closely related to coelacanths (Latimeria sp.), which have degenerate lungs that are derived from their air bladders.

There are several other species of fish that can breathe air. Examples include: the Albino Walking Catfish (Clarias batrachus), the bowfin (Amia calva), Mudskippers, and Blennies. These fishes have modified swim bladders for gulping air or specialized gill chambers that mix water and air. These adaptations help them survive when oxygen is depleted.

Pretty cool stuff!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default OK, I have identified the fish in Delong Lake

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    my brother and i were fishing at delong lake today and we hooked into 3 burbot, anybody else had this experience?
    I took my four year old boy Christopher ice fishing today at Delong Lake. The reason I went to that lake was to find blackfish, or burbot and identify them. Several other people were there and they claimed that they had been catching burbot in the lake as well as the salmon smolt and some nice char. I showed them the two fish I kept alive in the bucket and they confirmed they were "burbot". I have studied the physical descriptions of both fish and carefully examined the fish I caught, and although they looked like burbot, they were not. Definitely not, and they fit the description of blackfish, except they are not black, they are the color of burbot.

Unless there are also burbot in the lake, which I doubt, the fish in delong lake are blackfish. If anyone doubts I will take a digital image and put it on here, but the people catching them thought they were burbot, but I am telling you they ARE blackfish according the the Alaska Fish and Game website.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

yes please, post some pics. I have not seen a decent picture of these fish alive.

Yeah most blackfish are not black.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast