Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parks HWY Success?

Default Parks HWY Success?

I am heading out for bunnies on Sunday with my 8 year old son. I was planning on going up the Parks HWY. Anyone have luck up that way?

I've never hunted up there but always wanted to hike along one of the creeks and see what I can see....let us know how you do!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I drove up to Lake Lousie with my nine year old son hoping to get him into some rabbits after ready the post here. I must doing something wrong lots of tracks but didnt see one rabbit Ive never had such a hard time finding a bunny. If anyone knows of a place I can get my son into some rabbits please let me know he has been hunting hard just no luck yet. Thanks chris

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I drove up to Lake Lousie with my nine year old son hoping to get him into some rabbits after ready the post here. I must doing something wrong lots of tracks but didnt see one rabbit Ive never had such a hard time finding a bunny. If anyone knows of a place I can get my son into some rabbits please let me know he has been hunting hard just no luck yet. Thanks chris
    I think that area got popular real quick and the hares have gotten real skittish.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Duh!!! You guys are giving away all the hunting spots.

What do you think going to happen?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Duh!!! You guys are giving away all the hunting spots.

What do you think going to happen?
    gotta rep that one......

you folks from anchor town my think that area is a long ways out... but it is EXtreamly popular with the locals too..

and live webcast are only making things worse... Hunting in or around the Muni of Anchorage is already a lost cause.. the matsu area is not far behind it... and now your all extending it north an hour already..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sorry didn't know you had exclusive rights to the land....that is extremely condisending to refer to people as "you all" from anchor town. The guy is trying to get his kid out to be outside and get him started in the sport. Your response is rediculous. I think I might have to start hunting up there some more, see you in the woods........

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Sorry didn't know you had exclusive rights to the land....that is extremely condisending to refer to people as "you all" from anchor town. The guy is trying to get his kid out to be outside and get him started in the sport. Your response is rediculous. I think I might have to start hunting up there some more, see you in the woods........
    come on out! just quit blabbing all over the net... for some reason... folks from ANCHOR town seem to think that free run is okay.. they seem to forget that other folks live there....

my drive way in Clear/ Anderson is a perfect example... that amount of traffic it gets by mat su and Anchorage people driving up looking for the experience.

(by the way... I OWN a huge chunk of the land along the hwyway... )

and then go home and tell every one what a good time it was. just because YOU DROVE two hours or more does NOT mean others DO NOT live there.... and many of the NEW to state people are JUST FINDING places that to them look way the hell out there wehn compaired to where they came from.

uh HELLO! if your going hunting... FINE go hunting...

but just say i went up north and had a good time... popular in a hurry? gimme a break
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There's a difference between asking for advice and asking for a hand-out.

The internet has seriously eroded some of the allure for folks to go Hunting...When I was younger if we wanted to find new turf, we put our boots on and actually went prospecting.

This is NOT aimed at the OP, I sincerely hope he finds his child some bunnies to shoot, and I hope that the experience for both of them is memorable.

There is a bit of frustration for some of us who are used to returning to our usual stomping grounds when we see it posted in print on a site(s) that is viewed by thousands. This, and other sites, are a great resource for asking questions, however it is a double edged sword most of the time....Helping out ONE person by posting for thousands to see isn't going to keep honey holes sweet for long......I try and offer answers to questions like these, but I prefer to use the PM feature, otherwise I wouldn't be shocked to see a caravan of Los Anchorage-ites streaming into some out-of-the-way locale that I offered up to help out a person....And I'd have no one to blame but myself...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    There's a difference between asking for advice and asking for a hand-out.

The internet has seriously eroded some of the allure for folks to go Hunting...When I was younger if we wanted to find new turf, we put our boots on and actually went prospecting.

This is NOT aimed at the OP, I sincerely hope he finds his child some bunnies to shoot, and I hope that the experience for both of them is memorable.

There is a bit of frustration for some of us who are used to returning to our usual stomping grounds when we see it posted in print on a site(s) that is viewed by thousands. This, and other sites, are a great resource for asking questions, however it is a double edged sword most of the time....Helping out ONE person by posting for thousands to see isn't going to keep honey holes sweet for long......I try and offer answers to questions like these, but I prefer to use the PM feature, otherwise I wouldn't be shocked to see a caravan of Los Anchorage-ites streaming into some out-of-the-way locale that I offered up to help out a person....And I'd have no one to blame but myself...

PM sent so you can tell me where the bunnies are. Promise I won't tell anyone but Raptor1

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    come on out! just quit blabbing all over the net... for some reason... folks from ANCHOR town seem to think that free run is okay.. they seem to forget that other folks live there....

my drive way in Clear/ Anderson is a perfect example... that amount of traffic it gets by mat su and Anchorage people driving up looking for the experience.

(by the way... I OWN a huge chunk of the land along the hwyway... )

and then go home and tell every one what a good time it was. just because YOU DROVE two hours or more does NOT mean others DO NOT live there.... and many of the NEW to state people are JUST FINDING places that to them look way the hell out there wehn compaired to where they came from.

uh HELLO! if your going hunting... FINE go hunting...

but just say i went up north and had a good time... popular in a hurry? gimme a break
    Quite possibly one of the most incoherent paragraphs I have ever read. What are you saying here besides people from Anchorage shouldn't hunt in your area? I'm honestly confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Quite possibly one of the most incoherent paragraphs I have ever read. What are you saying here besides people from Anchorage shouldn't hunt in your area? I'm honestly confused.
    Lots of people come hunt on the road to his house and his driveway, he owns a big piece of land, and when you go up north and find a good hunting spot, keep your trap closed and don't broadcast to the world. Does that help any?

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Lots of people come hunt on the road to his house and his driveway, he owns a big piece of land, and when you go up north and find a good hunting spot, keep your trap closed and don't broadcast to the world. Does that help any?
    Yes and no.

And I apologize for insulting the writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Yes and no.

And I apologize for insulting the writing style.
    oh hell every one knows i am nearly insult proof...

my point was made at the other poster...

MR " I'll see you in the woods"

and your comments about the areas your finding becoming suddenly popular..

all the while mixed in with work issues.

so if i can make it more coherent for you...

your new up here... I know you are ... watched you move up right here on the forum... your new along with about 4000 other new members that have just moved to AK, or been deployed here or just returned home from over seas and are finishing their deployments...

country in AK is a big big place... slightly more then folks are accustomed to in the states. yet the persistence to get out in it is the same... many folks FAIL to recognize that others Could, Do and have for long periods lived well out of town. a trail in AK Probably leads to a home stead or off road community some where. a ROAD in ak... has people at the end of it.. no probably about that. just a fact.

many areas you are NOW finding are not NEW. they have been hunted for decades by the family's that settled your towns. and their neighbors..

Alaska always had the mentality to not OVER HUNT IN YOUR BACK YARD. well in the last 20 years that has fallen to the way side. to many people to many hunting at home to much easy is now gone...

small game in AK runs in cycles. highs and LOW LOW LOW lows....

your area is now like ours heading back down hill.. predator hunting will do better over the next few years... and then the small game will begin to rebound..however... youthfull dads trying to score one for the kids.. never has a low cycle. however the acknowledgment of the hunt when good or poor is still advertised along the world wide web... and is on an all time high...

now the other poster made some crack about me owning the land... well as it turns out... in some places i do... fortuantly i am a kind and forginv person that only askes a person call and ask permision and clean up behind them slef.. two years ago i let a few guys stay there and hunt... and i pickedup budwieser cans for two miles.not to metion all the target practice and dead bunnies in the woods left to attract bears in the spring.. and come bears did. while my kids were there. now i may not own all the land...but along the highway?
    a lot of other people do. and that is one of the faults... failure to get away from those that already live and hunt there.

lake Louise is a great place.. did you notice all the cabins and folks that are up there? every drive way has people in it the closer you get to Glenallen.. (BTW thats where they hunt too... ) up north areas that are not suffered by heavy winds all the time are localed up in a hurry. the traveling foot hunter needs to move his A, SS off the road a long way in a hurry to still make it home by dinner.

i did over 1100 miles this week and had the 22 on the seat the entire time and brought some game home... don't recall telling everyone where at either.

do not get stuck in the local muni attitude that just because you drove 2-6 hours you should have good hunting... there were folks that got up the same time you did and only drove an hour.. or walked out their door. to get to where you just found. there are NO seccret honey holes left... only places that have not been exploited recently.. good luck and stop advertising

meet on face book here

Interesting line of discussion. Personally, I get bothered seeing pictures of 20 dead rabbits from one day. That's a lot of rabbits from an area.

Yes I am new to Alaska, lived here about 2 years and plan to stay for a long time and yes my knowledge of the state is limited at this point but excuse me for trying to find out more about where I live and hunt and maybe get a tip about somewhere to go. I am knowledge hungry and if someone wants to offer up a little nugget of wisdom once in a while then shame on them I guess. By the way, I get out just as much as everyone else on here and beat feet to find new areas. Every free chance i get is spent in the woods or on the water finding new places to go. I always respect posted lands and leave the place cleaner than when I got there. I just think your attitude towards "those people from anchorage" is wrong. With the population of the state increasing and more and more visitors coming here (oh, and the limited road system) of coarse you are going to see more people coming down your street. It's gonna do nothing but get worse. Also not everyone has the ability to sled/wheeler/hike in to remote areas. I hope people would respect your property and it is sad that people trashed it and endangered your kids when the bears showed up.

This thread makes me wonder.

If you wanted to hunt and fish, why did you move to anch.?

J/K all just trying to throw a little humor in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Yes I am new to Alaska, lived here about 2 years and plan to stay for a long time and yes my knowledge of the state is limited at this point but excuse me for trying to find out more about where I live and hunt and maybe get a tip about somewhere to go. I am knowledge hungry and if someone wants to offer up a little nugget of wisdom once in a while then shame on them I guess. By the way, I get out just as much as everyone else on here and beat feet to find new areas. Every free chance i get is spent in the woods or on the water finding new places to go. I always respect posted lands and leave the place cleaner than when I got there. I just think your attitude towards "those people from anchorage" is wrong. With the population of the state increasing and more and more visitors coming here (oh, and the limited road system) of coarse you are going to see more people coming down your street. It's gonna do nothing but get worse. Also not everyone has the ability to sled/wheeler/hike in to remote areas. I hope people would respect your property and it is sad that people trashed it and endangered your kids when the bears showed up.

my attitude of people from anchorage is a life time accumulations...a person is typically a good thing.. people on the other hand SUCK... and my experience is that if i am going to get my chain yanked ... it will be mat Su Anchorage folks doing it. get out more... and explore as i stated if your gonna hunt go hunt.. just dont get on line and throw the whole world a bone as you or them will be very disapointed the next time you go...

welcome to AK the both of you. i have nearly 40 more years then your two and am still looking for new places to hunt as well.....

meet on face book here

You know the haul road is open, or is that just for bow hunters? Hmmm

I'm with ya Vince, just trying to put a little humor in here.

If they really wanted to do some serious rabbit,fox, coyote hunting they would be out at the ag project here.

Of course they them selfs would would be fair game if they did'nt ask for the rights to do so

But man have you seen the size of those squrials out there? They are huge, 2 would make a meal, all grain feed.

Vince can I hunt on your land? I don't drink Budwiser....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast