Thread: Deep Fry Moose Roast?

Default Deep Fry Moose Roast?

I'm thinking about deep frying a moose roast and a turkey this Thanksgiving. Does anybody in this forum have experience with this? I need to know if it works and how long to fry per pound.

Also, grouse breasts. I'm betting that getting the them done without overcooking may be a little tricky.

B.W.

I have deep fried a turkey and it comes out good. They have different marninades you could inject into the bird. The last time I did it, it was at 350 degree oil temp, and about 3 mins per pound, about 35 minutes came out fine and was not over cooked or was about right.

I have mixed emotions about experimenting on a moose roast in this way. This is similar to me doing a beef prime rib roast. I only get them when they are on sale at 6 bucks a pound. Then, I have spent a lot of time researching cooking methods, high heat in a salt bed or low and slow and closely monitoring the internal temp with a meat thermo.

Personally, I would not experiement with a hunk of moose meat in the deep fryer. I gutted and skinned the moose solo. It was a lot of work. For that reason, I do not want to risk ending up with an overcooked piece of moose. Rather, I would soak the moose roast in a salt/brown sugar brine for some about of time (6 to 12 hours), then cook it Low and Slow like a prime rib roast.

If you want to experiment, go to the store and get a cheap beef roast (about the same size as the moose roast you want to do) and throw at in the deep fryer. I don't know there are any inexpensive beef but pork might be a better option money wise

We fry a turkey every year. Tried all sorts of marinades. My favorite still is zesty italian. Good luck.

It is again the law to deep fry grouse breasts! You boil them for a while then add thickner to make gravy, add a few dumplins. Make sure to eat quickly before company can arrrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    It is again the law to deep fry grouse breasts! You boil them for a while then add thickner to make gravy, add a few dumplins. Make sure to eat quickly before company can arrrive.

Try taking that grouse breast, cut it in strips and marinate in milk (Spruce hens/Ptarmigan Only) over night. Ruffed Grouse don't need the soak. Drain the milk. Dip in egg, coat with Seasoned Italian Bread (add a little extra garlic salt to the bread crumbs to taste).
    Pan fry in hot skillet with olive oil for about 1 minute on each side. Awesome with a side salad.

Turkey, I agree on 350 degrees at 3 minutes a pound. My favorite marinade is called "Jamaica Mistake" by Johnny's Seasoning. Try to stay away from frying a turkey over 18 pounds.

Never cooked a moose roast but do a porkloin once in a while. I inject the heck out of it with Jamaica Mistake and then run a Knife Sharpening Steel through the entire lenth of it making a big hole. I stuff it with garlic, fill it with more Jamaica Mistake and plug both ends of the hole with a chunk of cut meat. Deep Fry at 350 for 3 1/2 minutes a pound. Awesome

Exclamation boiling meat is a SIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default hope i can help

grouse or pheasant breast with as much skin as you can leave on ...3.5 mins per lb ...oil at 350 degs...rub what ever you want for spices. as for moose don't know...but i tried deer and it sucked big time.

Moose roasts rock in the deep fryer. We fry the smaller ones about the size of a softball. 3 mins per lb. They come out AWESOME! It will have a great crust on the exterior while still rare in the middle. Definetly worth doing.
    BK