Thread: Sizing a Kifaru Tipi....Help!!

Default Sizing a Kifaru Tipi....Help!!

Hi, Just purchased a Kifaru tipi off of craigslist. Is supposed to be a 6 man, but it seems a little small. Am thinking the seller got "confused" as to witch size it actually is. Have measured the footprint, and yes it does seem smaller than what they advertise on the website. (footprint measurements would vary depending on the height of the pole) So, the only way that i can figure to get an acurate reference for sizing is a measurement from the peak to the base of the zipper. Anybody feel like unpacking their tent and measuring from the peak to the bottom of the zipper? A measurement for a 6 man or a 4 man would tell me all that I need to know. Thank You For Your Time

Default call tehm

Call Kifaru and ask them - they'll tell you. You should be able to tell by the pole length. I have an old 12 man and that won't help....but I can tell you that it would only be a 12 man if 11 of em were women!

Default Kifaru website...

says 7'6".

Seems like most guys use "6-man" tipis for 2, maybe 3 guys. The "8-man" tipis for 3-4 guys.

More at: http://www.kifaru.net/tipi6man2009.html

Lots of advantages in these tents though. Did you get a heater/stove?

Good luck either way.

check out the kifaru websight forums. I think there was a thread on this exact item not that long ago. I have a 8 man so I cant help you.

Default Kiaru 6 Man

Hi, I surely dont doubt there is a discusion......Here is probably why. The page for the 4 man has two different footprint dimensions, one in text one in the diagram. They differ by a whopping two feet. The larger dimension is real close to the dimension of my 6 man.
    The 4 man (missprint?) reads 10.5 x15 the other is 10.5 x13
    The 6 man reads 13ft 2 in x 14ft 10in. Actual dimensions are 11ft 2in x 13ft 4in
    With a little tweaking this way and that the numbers would be fairly close.
    The 8 man also has conflicting numbers, although not as much as the 4 man.
    They also seem to switch back and forth from metric and feet and inches.
    Height wise, this one seems right, at 7ft 4in tall.
    Bottom line is I think I made a mistake with the 6 man. By the time I added the inner liner it is really only good for TWO REAL GOOD FREINDS, gear and stove. NO WAY would i PLAN on three.
    Thanks For Your Time

Default 12 er

my 12 man works really good for 2 guys on cots and a poker table.....3 works good too on cots.

I have put my tipi through hell and back twice and I still like it.

When they say 6 man, they mean six people on sleeping bags and pads snuggled up against each other. A 6 man teepee is really only good for two people if you want a bit of room to move around.

I have a TiGoat Vertex8 and it's only good for two cots, a stove, and a little bit of space to stand up and stretch.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."