Thread: Another Newb question

Default Another Newb question

I recently bought a set of RCBS FL .308 dies. When I was at sportsmans buying them I noticed they had a set of short base dies. What are these dies used for?

Also when I reloaded some ammo last night I noticed the ammo was a little tight in the chamber. I resized the brass, seated the bullet until it was at the exact C.O.L. that the reloading manual called for. Do reloaded cases normally have a tight fit in the chamber? Maybe I am being a little paranoid, but I would rather not blow myself up.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I recently bought a set of RCBS FL .308 dies. When I was at sportsmans buying them I noticed they had a set of short base dies. What are these dies used for?

Also when I reloaded some ammo last night I noticed the ammo was a little tight in the chamber. I resized the brass, seated the bullet until it was at the exact C.O.L. that the reloading manual called for. Do reloaded cases normally have a tight fit in the chamber? Maybe I am being a little paranoid, but I would rather not blow myself up.
    I believe you mean small base dies; instead of short base dies.
    Small base dies resize the case full length down to the base. These are normally used in semi-auto style rifles or rifles with tighter chambers.
    AND NO, the reloaded ammo should fit the chamber just as the factory ammo did. I'm pretty sure the factory ammo wasn't overly tight.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !