Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ds 180

Default Ds 180

I put in for this any ram unit for the upcoming drawing for my wife and I. I picked it because it's logistically easier than many of the other sheep units. It would be nice to just let Kathleen roll any ram too and continue to build her status as an "extreme huntress". Grin

So whats the scoop on this drawing area? I noticed it's filled with glacier and I don't have alot of experience with them. Is the vegetation bad? Is one drainage better than another? It's big country and I don't think I'll have the luxury of scouting it. I didn't scout with my Brooks range hunt either but a heads up makes a big difference. Is there trophy potential from the Chugach Range?

I poured over the maps, considered logistics, draw history and applied. Now just a little first hand info would be great to help get me all worked up and jittery for the next few months before the results come out. It could also lead to a mild depression when I don't win if the info is good. Go ahead....tease me.

So I don't have to go look in the drawing supplement, what is the physical location of this hunt?

Friday Creek. From what I have gathered, that area use to get hunted pretty heavily before it went to draw, now finding full curl rams cna be tough and I believe that is why it is any ram.

Default Palmer/Wasilla

Those two towns are just due West of the major drainages for that permit.

I co-worker drew that hunt this past year. All I know about it is it is low percentage draw, I think only 7 permits were awarded, but my co-worker got a nice sheep, probably 7/8 curl, in one day hunting.

Default Friday Creek....

Friday Creek has been a "traditional ram valley" forever. It has also always been really heavily hunted, until the area "went permit" recently. There are two nearby landing strips, and it is mere miles away from the Palmer airport. In addition, it can be quite easily accessed on foot.

If you want to see rams, including some big guys, go there between May and about Aug 8th or 9th. When hiking or flying that country, the rams are always there, prior to opening day.

If you really want to know why the area is not a "full curl" area, call the Glennallen Fish and Game office. Ask biologist Becky K. why she politiced the area to become a draw (which I agree with for that paticular easily accessed area) and why it is an "any ram area" (which I do not agree with). Then ask her about former biologist Wayne Heimer and his arguments against the "any ram" deal. If you ask that, do remember the basic principals to be used in the event of a nuclear attack....distance and shielding is your first defense.

Or you could look somewhere in the archives. When that area all the way from Glennallen to Palmer (!!!!) was proposed and adopted as a permit area without any horn length restrictions there was quite a discussion.

The Chugach has fantastic throphy potential! But because the area was heavily hunted in the past, not many rams made it past their 8th or 9th years of age. Now that the entire area has been under a permit system for a few years we will soon begin to see some older age class rams come out of there, again.

While the area can be accessed fairly easy, it be rough once your up there. Afterall, it is sheep hunting.

Dennis

I don't have anything to offer over what has already been stated. Friday Creek has good access, has been hunted hard and has produced some good rams. The genetics are there for big rams.

Default Thanks

Thats good info. Do we know how long it's been permitted?

Even for a guy down in SE it looks like an accesable area. It also looks rough and tough in places too. It will be fun if we are drawn.

I think I'll avoid causing any nuclear explosions. I'm pleased with the prospects of being able to take my better half in there and allow her the opportunity to take her first ram and not have to critique it too heavily.

Wish us luck please. 1-2% is not high.

Default harvest area to drawing...

Unit 14 A east of Palmer, all the way east to Glennallen was a "harvest tag" area and open to everyone in the fall of 2007, I think. In fall 2008 it had become a "drawing permit area".

So that makes this upcoming 2010 the third year under the "drawing permit"...I think.

I also put in for that tag, I noticed that it was a fairly easy access area and an any ram hunt. I figured it would be a great opportunity for me to sheep hunt and hopefully bag a ram w/o the hassle of finding a full curl.

Lightbulb hassle?

Yo blaster
    How could hunting for a full curl ram, or any ram, or any hunting, ever be considered a hassle?
    I don't get it.

Good night.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Yo blaster
    How could hunting for a full curl ram, or any ram, or any hunting, ever be considered a hassle?
    I don't get it.

Good night.
    Oops should have worded a little different, due to me being inexperienced at sheep hunting, it seems it would be a better opportunity for me to start off on a any ram hunt and get the basics of sheep hunting, judging, environment, terrain etc. down. Wouldn't want to shoot an illegal ram in a horn restricted area, heard of that happening too many times. judging a ram seems to be difficult at times even for experienced sheep hunters....Hassle was the wrong word Similar to if I were to hunt an any bull or antlerless moose area. Also the area seems to be fairly easy to access, no fly charter needed.

Nothing like counting your chickens before they've hatched.

I only ask for specifics after I draw - which has been like NEVER.

Hmmm, maybe I need to change my strategy?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Nothing like counting your chickens before they've hatched.

I only ask for specifics after I draw - which has been like NEVER.

Hmmm, maybe I need to change my strategy?

i wont put in for it unless i know i can/will do it IF drawn....

to much competition and to many wasted tags...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Friday Creek

Bighorse.

I have hunted this area for bears and seen tons of sheep up there in the timeframe mentioned. Me and a buddy were able to drive a 4x4 truck right up to Friday Creek. We camped there for a few days and back in 2007 even went after a ram one day..got to within 250 yards. There were a band of 32 back then..nice group, and decided since it was a Sunday and about to get dark..just emptied the chamber..put the crosshairs on his shoulder, pulled the trigger and walked back down..pretty good day.

You will not have a problem getting back there..but the hunting pressure as mentioned was rough over the years due to accessibility. There will be bear hunters running that mountain side during this timeframe as well and being close to Jims Creek area there will be other out and about.
    Good luck
    DH

Default Chicken counting

I think I'd rather be in the chicken counting group than the "Hey I won a tag, where is it?" group.

I'm willing to bet there are a few other folks who have hunted this drainage before, that just don't want to chime in because it is indeed a nice area and want this thread to drift off into oblivion. If it was my favorite goat area that someone was inquiring about I'd do that.

Thanks for all the PM's.

I also put in for the torture test.....Etolin Elk. This time Oct. rifle rather than archery. I think I've got enough ground time now to put together a good hunt with a chance for an animal. Now thats a drawing a guy has a chance to draw, 25%. I'll run my skiff via the ferry to Wrangell and shoot out from there down Canoe pass and it's game time. For me, logistically, that would work. I'm fairly gung-ho about this hunt since getting *****-slapped by that island a few years ago. A mossy ol' Rosevelt elk is high on my Alaska trophy list.

While were on the subject of counting chickens..........

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I think I'd rather be in the chicken counting group than the "Hey I won a tag, where is it?" group.

I'm willing to bet there are a few other folks who have hunted this drainage before, that just don't want to chime in because it is indeed a nice area and want this thread to drift off into oblivion. If it was my favorite goat area that someone was inquiring about I'd do that.

Thanks for all the PM's.

I also put in for the torture test.....Etolin Elk. This time Oct. rifle rather than archery. I think I've got enough ground time now to put together a good hunt with a chance for an animal. Now thats a drawing a guy has a chance to draw, 25%. I'll run my skiff via the ferry to Wrangell and shoot out from there down Canoe pass and it's game time. For me, logistically, that would work. I'm fairly gung-ho about this hunt since getting *****-slapped by that island a few years ago. A mossy ol' Rosevelt elk is high on my Alaska trophy list.

cluck cluck clulck.... i am dong the SAME on Afognak this year hoping for Elk, bear, deer trifecta... so far i have most the trip planed finance figures are at 96% complete and all i have to do is hit send on the reservations next march... when tags are announced... planning this way is definitely part of the process

good luck on Eotlin
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My Afognak elk tag is going to be reissued to me still trying to figure out where Afognak is at???

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    My Afognak elk tag is going to be reissued to me still trying to figure out where Afognak is at???

little bit south of us.... not to far though.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Afognak is on the panhandle right? or was it in the Aleutians?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast