Thread: Western PWS mainland for deer

Question Western PWS mainland for deer

My brother and I will be heading out of Whittier for deer late next week (weather permitting) and we're trying to finalize our destination. I've been out on a couple of unproductive hunts in the Sound in the past couple of years, and I'm not above asking for a little info to increase our odds for success. The first trip I did was a solo run to northern Knight. Since I was solo, I concentrated on hiking upland and hunting the meadows. There was plenty of deer sign, but the snow conditions made hunting very difficult. On the second trip, my partner and I were headed to Knight but we ran into bad weather and never made it past Culross. We ended up spending a few days holed up in a cove playing cards and shoveling snow off the boat before we decided to call it and head back.

So, while I'd like to get back out to Knight on this trip, I'd also like a backup plan. What I always hear is that there are deer on pretty much all the islands in the sound. And I know that Culross and Perry get hunted pretty hard. But, what about the mainland areas? Are there deer in huntable numbers around Eshamy or Main Bays? What about between Cochran and Culross? Or even up by Pigot or Bettles Bays? How about the northern coast near Esther Island or Eaglek Bay?

I know I'm asking about a lot of different areas, but if anybody has info about mainland deer on the west side of the Sound, I'd like to talk to you about it. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Thanks guys-
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default all those places

There are deer in all those places. Last Thanksgiving, we took the biggest buck I've ever seen in the Sound on the mainland within sight of Whittier.

Thumbs up

I wanted to give a big Thank You to those that have already PM'd me about deer in the Sound. The info so far has been very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Thanks for sharing the info with the rest of us.

Default yes - thanx

I know of a couple guys that went out for an extended hunt and spent 10 or 12 days without a deer sighting......

So there are definately areas that are not too great for sure..