Thread: winchester model 70 Lightweight

Default winchester model 70 Lightweight

Does anybody know any perninant facts or quirks about the Win Model 70 Lightweight (not the featherweight) made in the late 80's/early 90's I believe? It is a pushfeed.

I'm looking at one in 243 for my 8 year old boy...........gorgeous stock.

thanks

About all I can tell you is what's in an '89 Gun Digest. It was introduced in '84. Comes w/a 22"bbl,no open sights,6 1/4#, and walnut stock(optional Win-Tuff lam. stock). GOOD yrs for Winchester quality.

Default Well

Years ago when I was 15 or so my dad brought home a brand lightwieght chambered in a 06 wow that thing was handy 1st runs had 18 1/2 inch barrels little known fact... My dad traded it off and a few mnths later he come dragging another one home but this one had a 20 inch barrel... I sure wish I could find one with the 18 1/2 inch barrel oh well...

Default Win lightweight

They made them for a short time in the late 1980's
    I had one I bought new in 30 06 I wish I still had it as it was a handy Carbine. Stock dimensions were reduced from full size and the stock was finished satin instead of the prevalent high gloss at that time. It had a 20 inch barrel and for a 30 06 it had a kick to it when shooting it from the bench. I never weighed it but I would imagine it was in the mid six pound range.

The only thing I remember about it is that it broke a weaver mount when I was shooting it, base mount screws probably worked loose but the base broke at the slot for the rings. The rifle was reasonably accurate and I would prefer it over the full size for deer hunting and carrying around.

Mine had a solid walnut stock with decent grain.

Thanks guys. I think its a go.

Default M70 Lightweight

I really like them. they seem like the forgotten M70's. Basically a featherweight XTR with a more traditional stock. The carbines are more rare.

From the reference I have, Lightweights were made from 1987-1995, Lightwieght Carbines from 1984-1987.

These were good years for winchester rifles, very good blueing and fit & finnish imo.

Default Win Tuff 280 Rem.

I've got a Win Tuff 280 lightweight still in the box.

Default A great rifle to buy!

Eastwoods,
    I would advise you to pickup that rifle before someone else finds it. The Lightweight model was an obscure version of the Featherweight. In .243, it would be a great rifle for your son - for a long time.
    Go get it!

Got it! For $350!!

Thanks guys.