Thread: Skin a Cat?

Default Skin a Cat?

Ok, I sold my old 1M this past year and ended up spending the money on a wheeler so I am down to fixing up the old mid 90's cougar. It is actually a good sled w/ only a little over 700 miles on it. I am not going to mess w/ the engine but would like to do some updates. One of the carbides is toast so I am going to be replacing them for sure but I am not thrilled w/ the flotation this sled has w/ the old steel skis so I am thinking about replacing them w. new 7" wide camoplast "all terain" skis. It looks like the total cost will be around $250 for everything (skis, mounts, carbides). The other option is to just throw some 6 1/4" skins on the factory skis w/ new carbides at about $100 total. I have never used ski skins and I am not sure if the savings is worth it by going w/ them instead of just replacing the skis.

I can afford the complete skis, but I don't want to spend the money just to spend the money. If the skins are just as good and will last just as long then they are a no brainer.

If you are gonna do ski skins go with some 8 inchers. The metal ski is usually 5 or 5.5 so the 6.25 ones aren't gaining much. 8 inchers are more the standard when going for flotation. Someone out there must still make a 8 inch universal that would fit the cat ski. The Doo ones don't have the rounded center that everyone else uses or I would say to pick up a set of older Tundra skins. Good skins but they have a square keel to match the Tundra and Skandic metal ski.

Flotation is a nice buzz-word, but weight is just as important. You will never get the same performace by adding more weight to your old steel skiis as you will get out of replacing them with a lighter, build-to-purpose plastic ski. If the money is available, go with the ski replacement. I've been through the ski-skin era and while they do increase the performance of plain steel, a completley plastic ski works so much better.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

It's a 90's cougar. Not gonna matter to add some plastic to those skis. Metal skis and performance were never meant to be used in the same breath. And I am not a fan of those camoplast skis on anything but a little fan cooled sled. Cheap plastic and I don't mean inexpensive. It's cheap plastic. Good for some sleds not too hot for others. The only thing that might happen is finding the price of skins too high nowadays. I know Doo has a wide assortment and they go from 75 all the way over 200 for a certain set of widetrack skins. Hopefully the aftermarket will still have a reasonable choice for you.

I'm kinda with mod elan on this one. Again, its a 90's cougar...

If it were me, the cheapest option would be the only way. Putting a 250 dollar ski setup on the machine ALMOST seems like throwing good money after bad since the machine is likely only worth 5-700 bucks to begin with...

abirurn09

Default Skin a Cat

Hey guys I made this skin for the cat when i was bored. I know its not perfect but I kinda like it.To install it you must put the cat_pet.dds file in the "mediamodelscat" folder in the Pak.zip file.Tell me what you think of it.