Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunt 2009 WITH NEW PARTNER

Default Moose hunt 2009 WITH NEW PARTNER

Well looks like I have some time to share my 2009 Moose hunt so here it goes .
    Like most trips planning starts a year in advance or more and the hunting partner I had planned to go along decided to do something else at the last moment so I was pissed .
    Over the last 10 years or so I have had family members go along on these hunting trips I have put together and I have picked up the tab as at that time I did not want to do solo hunts here in Alaska for safety reasons .
    On every trip we did they were chronic complainers from being cold , to hot,too many bugs ETC you get what I am saying .
    So here I am at plan B because my hunt partner/Brother-n-law decides to back out on plan A .
    So I tell my Bride of 29 years that I am doing this hunt alone and that's it ,I am not going to miss a Float hunt due to no partner.
    My bride suggests that she would like to be my Partner on this Float trip !!!!
    My Bride is not new to hunting as she went with me Elk and deer hunting when we lived in Oregon and deer hunting on Kodiak she is very tough to say the least .
    I thought about it for awhile because I have been on this Float before and it is not easy due to Float Dragging back skinny waters .
    So I agreed and she was smiling ear to ear .

I had already talked to Larry and bought a second Pro Pioneer early in the year for my brother-n-law to use so I kept with the Idea of two rafts on this trip.
    The trip was for 10 days and about 120 river miles so my planning of getting my Bride outfitted for this hunt top to bottom went into gear .
    She already has a 338 Win mag so I needed to get her good hunting clothes and some river gear .

She already had stick time on the Pro Pioneer on the Kenai and local lakes so I had all the confidence in her to handle the raft.

Fast forward to launch day .
    We arrive at Wright air field for our flight . We were able to both go on the same plane to the river and our gear followed us on the second flight in.

I will take a couple days to fill in the whole story but to start it off here is our landing site on &^%$)*&^ river with about 200 Caribou all around us and walking through camp .

The day we arrived is was drizzling but I knew the weather would change as I have been watching the weather channel .

Second day starts out about the same with drizzle but come thAT afternoon a complete change in weather.
    Here we are at our first crossing of a Beaver Dam , one of many .
    My Bride was having a great time and we have only been on the creek for a couple hours !!!

More tomorrow

RR
    Last edited by RANGER RICK; 07-07-2010 at 17:10.
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Sounds like it went well. My only ? is why have you not offered to take her in the past if you had hunted with her before and new she was tough? Sounds like she is tougher than most guys and not as winey as your other family members!

Waiting for the rest of the story!

Thumbs up

Rick it is good to see you taking your wife hunting with you. I started taking my wife and girls along 3 years ago and have enjoyed every minute of those hunts. No we do not hunt as hard as I would by myself or with some of my friends but we have a great time and something all of us will never forget. So far my wife has been bear hunting, moose hunting, and sheep hunting with me.

Looking forward to the rest of the hunt!

Rob
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Rick

Sounds like you had a great time and have a hunting partner that is always there just waiting to be asked. How well did the Pro Pioneers work out for you? Any complaints? What kind of weight were you capable of hauling with them?

Ralph

Man those Helios sure are cool airplanes, I cant wait to hear the rest of the story. Great that you have a lady that will go with you.

Well atleast this hunting partner will not get cold at night!!!! Waiting for the rest.

Default can't wait

I took my wife on a caribou hunt when my partner backed out at the last moment as well and she continues to be better that most. Can't wait for the rest of the story. Why 2 PP's though, I thought that they were suppose to be capable of 2 hunts, gear and a moose??

akrstabout

That is a good question .
    Very cold weather makes my Bride ache as she has been fighting Fiber Malaga for years so I never wanted to put extra weight on her shoulders by asking her to go on hunts in the fall and have unnecessary pain .

broncoformudv

I have now a life long hunt partner , her words and I agree .

Ralph

No complaints at all.
    I have used these for a few years now and love them.

jeff p

Helios are a great plane for sure . My last three trips have been with them.

HuntNBgame

Double thumbs up for sure.

tboehm

One would of been fine except I was on this same river system a few years ago and did a lot of dragging and I did not want to have one heavy loaded raft that would have to be dragged even more .
    On this trip we were on the end of a couple weeks of rain and out of the whole 120 river miles we did not drag at all ..

Some more of the story.

The first night on the landing strip we were watching the Caribou and I was going over my maps and GPS spots I liked from the first time I did this river and told my Bride that the first 3 days I wanted to get river miles behind us so we could hunt in some great spots plus we had 10 days to go and I did not want to take any game before that because the meat would not last .
    We both had Caribou tags and in the morning the bou was still around but did not take any cause we had a very long way to go .
    So latter on the first day around 2 pm after we went over a couple Beaver Dams my Bride is in the lead and we come around a bend and the biggest Moose I have ever seen ( except for pictures and forums ) It put it's front legs up on the bank and turned his head to look at us as were were about 30 feet away .
    He had 6 brow tines on the left side not sure on the right and looked to be about 62-68" across and he just shed his Velvet and his rack was a pinkish color , very nice looking .
    I drew my 500 S&W and put the cross hairs on the desired spot and watched it jump the rest of the way up the bank and slowly walk away !!!!!!!!
    That was the hardest thing to do is let it walk but I knew in my mind I would not be able to keep the meat from spoiling !!!!
    My Bride turned and smiled and said that was huge and good for you to let it walk and she said look at your hands , I looked and they were shaking really hard , boy was I pumped .

Second and third day we seen Bou and herd moose grunting in the early AM and late PM .
    Here are some pictures of Bou being pushed down the creek in front of us .

Time for work more later .

RR
    Last edited by RANGER RICK; 11-13-2009 at 07:25.

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Rick

Sounds like you had a great first day, I'm setting on the edge of my seat waiting for more. lol

Default Rick

If you've been married to this woman for 29 years you must have robbed the cradle.
    Not sure I would have passed on the moose though. I would probably have shot him and called for a meat pick-up sice you were still at the air strip. Great story so far !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Looking forward to "the rest of the story" Rick!
    By the way, if your bride can't join you & you find yourself in a spot where you are trying to recruit a family member that won't whine or complain so you don't have to go alone & you are picking up the tab on the hunt, I'll be glad to be your little bro or cousin. I'll even bring my own Barney's frame, pipsqueak hunting handgun (mod 29 with 320s) & Guide Gun for backup.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Oh, now your killing me!!(with the moose) sounds like you need to schedule a meat stop a little sooner next time. Sounds like a great start.

brav01

When we seen this moose we already had been on the river for 8 hours .
    Believe me if there was a chance of having a meat pick up I would of scheduled one.
    One reason we had 120 river miles is there is only one spot on the creek to be dropped off .
    The only other possible landing area was about five miles off the creek and there was no way I was going to haul a whole moose five miles thus the reason no game for the first three days .

Yes were we both married at a very young age and I did rob the cradle . She was 15 and I was 17 when we were married in 1981.

Vance in AK

I knew I had a relative I did not know about !!!

Here is the rest of the story

The first three days pass and now the hunting caps are on but not much in big game just some small Caribou and a Grizz that was on a 100 yard dash to get away from us .

As we round a corner my wife is free floating snapping pictures and I pass her up and a few minutes latter she says Bear , I snapped my head around to see where she is looking .
    She had stopped and was out of the raft so I tried to stop myself but both side of the creek was encased in foliage and the water was to deep to jump out so I grabbed some hanging branches with my right hand and I came to a sideways stop .
    As I was watching my wife and straining to see the bear I hear a splash and I look to see what it was and my oar on the right side of the raft was floating away so I switched hands and grabbed the branches with my left hand leaned over the raft just a little to far and the branch snapped and I did a flip right out of the raft and went completely under .

As I am getting my footing and standing up I am in water up to my chin and I have my arm on my raft and my oar in the other .I make my way from the center of the creek back up towards my Bride were the water is shallower and a little patch of gravel.

My bride is just starring at me to see my reaction before she lets out this laughter that could be herd for miles and she about wet her self she was laughing so hard .
    She said she seen the whole thing and she gave me a 9.5 as my legs were completely vertical in the air before I slipped beneath the cold cold water .She actually got me to laughing after a few minutes .
    This was the first of two dunking I had on this trip .She was a newbie and barley got her feet wet !!!Go figure ...

The patch of gravel was just large enough and had a slight slope to it for me to lay down and drain out .The rest of the day was not a lot of fun being wet but that is float hunting at times .

That was the only bear she saw on this trip and I never saw it as I was under water .

The rest of the trip was great . We never did connect on a moose or a Caribou after day three .I sure second guessed myself many times but when the trip was over out of 10 days 9 was completely sunny and very warm and for sure I would of lost the meat .

I have to say on all my trips I have done with many people my Bride never not once ever said anything negative or complained about anything the whole trip .She had me put stick on medicated patches on her back and that told me she was in pain but not one word .
    She just loved the whole fall colors , the water and the animals .
    She did not even mind that I lost our lures , I think they flew out along with my knife when I was being acrobatic !!!!!

I did find one bare hook in some of my gear but no bait . Tried some mountain House but the Grayling did not like that but I did see two dead long tape worms in the water so I fished them out and cut them up and used them , yep we started to catch grayling !!!!
    Who knew !!!!

Anyway I am sure there is more I am leaving out but that is the way it is .
    I have already booked another Float hunt for Caribou for next year in the Brooks Range .
    My Bride reminded me just the other day to make sure I booked it for us both , I think she is hooked !!!!

Here are a few pictures of the rest of the trip .
    Enjoy

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post

RR
    To say "refreshing" would be a gross understatement. THANK YOU for posting.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Ranger Rick

Great story thanks for posting! Sure sounds like the two of you had a great trip.

Ralph

Had to rename a few photos here are some more.

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Talking

Here is a pic of the Grayling catchers !!!! and the drying rack of shame !!!!

RR
    Attached Images Attached Images

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Cool

Drying rack of shame.........that was funny.

I too have taken to having my wife out in the woods also. It's just a nice way to reconnect with our loved ones after all the hussle-bustle of life.

Next time grab a camera if your not gonna shoot it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

thanks Rick... loved it . i have been trying to get the missus back out there more since lil one is getting old enough... hopefully i can get her to read this and show here that she can too!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Great Story

Thanks for sharing this story it was enjoyable to read. I hope you and yours continue to share the outdoors and enjoy each others company. During hockey practice we some times stop and have a coaching moment i.e. the timing is just perfect to instill something into each player. Might be wise for some of us to stop and have a coaching moment concerning hunting partners and Life as well.

Again great story.

Blue Moose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast