Thread: 20F/ 25D (Yukon River) snowmachine caribou hunt?

Default 20F/ 25D (Yukon River) snowmachine caribou hunt?

Can anyone comment on the likelihood of encountering caribou during December along the Yukon river corridor starting from the Dalton Highway in GMUs 20F and 25D?

Thanks,
    Zeb

BTW I'm NOT talking about the 5 mile archery only, non-motorized Dalton Highway corridor. By corridor I mean "the area accessible by the Yukon River".

I'm talking about snowmachining up and/or down the Yukon river only and looking for caribou out by Stevens Village or Rampart.

Anyone got any first-hand, or otherwise reliable, info on caribou numbers in those areas? Or snowmachine trail conditions along (on) the river?

Thanks a bunch,
    Zeb

Zeb, the more I read the more I am leaning toward the Dalton Hwy with machines. We just got a nice dump of snow and have 24" on the ground but I might be able to borrow the neighbors skidsteer and get the camper out.

Plus, I always needed a good excuse to buy a top notch genset.

We can always pick between the Dalton and Steese when we get to that junction; we'll have the same gear either way...

Now on to the to-do list... It's < 1 mo away!

Default caribou, yukon river 25D

Zeb,
    I thought i would take the time to say hi and see if i could help you on your trip. The chances of you hitting a bunch of caribou in this area is not likely near the bridge. If you are wanting to find a lot caribou in 25D you need to go to the porcupine river and the canada boarder. this is were you will find the wintering yard of the porcupine hurd. If you google caribou porcupine hurd you will see the migration for the last 5 or 6 years you will see right were they end up. Not to far from circle on the yukon river.