Thread: Any Honda 130hp owners out there?

Default Any Honda 130hp owners out there?

Well, I think I finally found the motor for my 22' Starcraft Islander budget re-power...a 1998 Honda 130 25".

It has 750 hours and it has been religiously maintained by its original owner. The motor has seen the salt but was trailered and always properly flushed.
    The owner said it was serviced for a recall (fuel pump) early in its history (Honda extended the warranty by ten years at that time) but has otherwise been a flawless performer. He has all of the documentation for everything (valve adjustments etc.) since new.
    It sounds like a great motor and it is priced right...I guess I'm looking for real-life experiences with this specific Honda. Are there certain things I should look for with this motor?

Thanks in advance guys.

go to www.marineengine.com and click on the honda outboard motor forum. Then search for your 130 to find out the issues/what to watch out for.

Other than that it sounds like you have found a great candidate for a used motor.

Sobie2

Default super motor - Honda 130

I used to have one on my Wooldridge. I have since parted ways with the Wooly / Honda, but the Honda was a great strong motor. It was a little heavier than the Yamaha, but was super quiet. There was one warranty issue for a crack in the exhaust manifold which Honda replaced the entire motor and issued a ten year transferable warranty. I never even knew it was an issue- it was found during a winterization check in the fall by the dealership. In all the years and hours I put on the Honda, there was never any problems with the motor. The next owner just put the boat away for the season. Since I grew up with Indian motors, I was careful on all preventative care and followed the schedule to to T. If you get the Honda, I doubt you will look back with regret ! Besides, it is only six more months until the next season - I can hardly wait !

You need to get the serial number and call Honda of USA to make sure it wasn't one of the engines with the cracking water jacket problem. If it was, and the whole powerhead was replaced, as was the case with some, you should be fine.

But 1998 is right in that timeframe.

Oh, if it was bought in Canada, Honda of Canada didn't recognize the issue, and will not provide any service. The folks at HondaUS will let you know if it was bought in Canada.

Hope it's a good price. The 130's are a bit heavy for the horsepower, but overall good engines.

My 1997 died in 2006 with around 1300hrs. Corrosion issues (yes I flushed it, but bought it used, so who knows prior to that) internally.

It's 11 years old, and despite the low hours... somethings are going to show their age.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.
    I'll call the original owner for the vin #.
    There still might actually be some warranty left, I will check.
    I'm forking $3900 for the motor with controls...
    Finding a low-hours larger displacement Honda at any "used" price seems to be pretty tough.
    I can buy a brand new 135 for $8995, but I won't spend that in this economy.

That is a great deal. Friend has one on a 22' Alumaweld. Other than having to deal with a water in fuel problem, its been a great engine. He doesn't have a twin to that one for sale does he?

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    That is a great deal. Friend has one on a 22' Alumaweld. Other than having to deal with a water in fuel problem, its been a great engine. He doesn't have a twin to that one for sale does he?

Nope, sorry. He just has the one.

The guy actually just picked up a new 150 Honda that was a demo and really reasonably priced for a new motor....

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the 130...
    I called Honda and there was NO head recall for that series motor...

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the 130...
    I called Honda and there was NO head recall for that series motor...
    Okay...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=155957

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=155954

another...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....=130hp+cracked

Best to call them again, and don't use the word recall, but rather "Product Update Campaign".

My serial number prefix is BXBE...

No problems associated with this number as far as my research and dealer info relates.

Thanks alot though for the help. It is appreciated.