Thread: Noob Questions on a new sled

Default Noob Questions on a new sled

Hi all. Glad to find you and I've already gotten llots of info on sledding in this beautiful state from this site. I haven't been able to find anything that addresses my questions. I took a little ride today here in Valdez this evening after our predicted 5-9 inches which turned out to be over a foot. I have a brand new Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 XT and I drove it about a mile and a half tonight. My questions are this:

1. Is it normal for a sled in break-in to smell horribly of burning plastic? I checked it out after the ride and it doesn't look like nothing is burning or melting...but man did it stink. The place I bought it from put a little 2-stroke oil into the gas to to help with the break in...could that be the cause of the smell? It made both me and my wife a little nauseous.

2. How much snow should we wait to pile up before we hit the trail for some real riding?

3. Have any of you had any problems with driving your sled straight into your garage after riding? Is the steam coming out of the engine normal? It just sat there steaming.

We're really newbies and like I said, I searched but couldn't find anything about these topics so thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your advice.

Happy trails.
    Ed

Welcome to the forum Ed! Congrats on the new sled as well.

What you are experiencing is pretty normal for a new sled break in. The smells are of paint burning off of some of the new parts and things getting used to getting hot. If it persists, keep looking around for anything that might be melting a bit. Sometimes things don't get routed right and end up resting against the exhaust or something else hot.

As far as snow cover, I usually wait until there is about 18" on the ground before I get too serious. I let all the kids go out and break trails and do the rock/stump locating for me (it is cheaper that way).

Steam coming out from the cowling is normal and you will experience it often. Snow gets under the hood through various vents and holes and gets bounced around on the exhaust. No problems there. Pay attention if it starts smelling like antifreeze though....

Have a great time on that new sled! (I'm jealous!)

Quote Originally Posted by CGXTerra View Post
    Hi all. Glad to find you and I've already gotten llots of info on sledding in this beautiful state from this site. I haven't been able to find anything that addresses my questions. I took a little ride today here in Valdez this evening after our predicted 5-9 inches which turned out to be over a foot. I have a brand new Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 XT and I drove it about a mile and a half tonight. My questions are this:

1. Is it normal for a sled in break-in to smell horribly of burning plastic? I checked it out after the ride and it doesn't look like nothing is burning or melting...but man did it stink. The place I bought it from put a little 2-stroke oil into the gas to to help with the break in...could that be the cause of the smell? It made both me and my wife a little nauseous.

2. How much snow should we wait to pile up before we hit the trail for some real riding?

3. Have any of you had any problems with driving your sled straight into your garage after riding? Is the steam coming out of the engine normal? It just sat there steaming.

We're really newbies and like I said, I searched but couldn't find anything about these topics so thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your advice.

Happy trails.
    Ed
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Great. Thanks for the rapid reply. I'll rest easier knowing that the burning plastic smell should go away and leave room for the plain ole exhaust smell. I can't go riding for another week or so, so maybe the trails will be laid out by then.
    Thanks again.
    Ed

One thing I forgot to mention... If you are riding in poor snow conditions or are on ice for extended periods of time, you can overheat your hyfax (the plastic the track slides on under the suspension). This will wear out the hyfax in a hurry, or in some cases, can seize your track. What will happen is the hyfax starts overheating and actually melts. When the rider stops the machine, the hyfax cools again but has a REALLY good grip on the track and usually takes tools to break it free.

If you smell the plastic burning odor and have been riding in poor cooling conditions (no snow/REALLY hardpacked snow/ice), don't stop until you find some soft snow to cool things off first. Ride around in it for a minute and then stop to check things out.

Ice scratchers are a good addition to any sled.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

1) Yep like AKMud said with one addition and caution. Most of the smell from my new sled was the brakes settling in. Also if your sled has a parking break don't use it unless you have too. The guys down at "Team CC" where telling me they get in about 3 sleds a year that caught fire when the rider failed to release the parking break.

2) Ski doo says 8 inches I like to wait for about a foot, doubt you'll be hitting the trails as hard as mud for a while.

3) All that steam looks really cool don't it!?! Love pulling up to a camp fire so I can watch the steam rise back lit by the fire.

4) I'm a total newbie too so take my post with a grain of salt.

NOW who has enough snow to ride I'm going nuts!!!!!!!!!!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Is it a 2 stroke? Oil in the gas is pretty normal for those engines.

Good Morning. It's a 2 stroke engine. We were riding it last night in at least a foot of semi-plowed roads. It was definitely soft, but it was fresh snow over a pack of ice and not any dry road. I was told that since it's a 2 stroke, air cooled engine that I didn't need scratchers. Noted on the parking brake. We're going to be keeping to the groomed trails with a group of experienced riders for a while, so hopefully I won't be one of those 3 this winter.

Thanks for the posts all.
    Ed

Ed if you want to ride out by Glennallen or the eureka roadhouse area sometime drop me a PM, the wife and I would gladly show you some of the areas we ride.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick. Thanks! We would like to ride in Eureka sometime this winter. I'll drop you a line when we're going to come up. Thanks for the invite!
    Ed

"Burning plastic" is not part of a new sled experience. You should open the hood and check everything out to make sure nothing (like wiring), is being exposed to, or laying on, the pipe or muffler.

How does the clutch engage? Smoothly or jerky? If it isn't nice and smooth, completely free from jerks, then have the clutch alignment checked. But that would smell like rubber.

I almost guarantee you your dealer used Arctic Cat APV oil, the synthetic Cat oil. It is some hideous stuff, possibly the worst smelling oil that can be found on the planet Earth, specifically designed to smell like a burning plastics factory. And the poor design of the Bearcat bellypan causes the exhaust to curl up and around the cowling so you are guaranteed to get to know your exhaust intimately.

As-soon-as you can, change over to Polaris or Klotz so you don't smell like Cat crap. But you have to be careful, when you take the machine in for service or warranty, you'll need to put the Cat oil back in and run the machine to remove any trace of the other oil as this would void the warranty. Klotz smells like Dial soap, Polaris smells like strawberry's, and you already know what Cat smells like.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    "Burning plastic" is not part of a new sled experience.
    My new SkiDoo Renegade 600 E-Tec stunk to high heaven for the first hour I rode it as it cooked off the coatings on the engine, etc. I was warned about this from other 'Doo riders and from the salesman, so I was expecting it, but it was pretty nasty. Fortunately that only happens the first bit you ride it and once it's cooked off you don't have to deal with it again.

I have heard that if you don't remember to release the e-brake on the SkiDoo that it will catch the engine on fire, though, so that is something to remember to do when you unload it off the trailer. We have an acquaintance who had that lovely experience at Arctic Man but caught it in time to minimize the damage.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Like I said, the only bad thing I smelled about my '07 Bearcat 570 was that God-awful injection oil.

If you run a trail that comes up on a few lakes, the rapid deceleration on the brake can make it heat up surprisingly fast, and it will smell too. Never smoked one though. Considering the quantity of magnesium being used in today's sleds, a fire would be catastrophic.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hrmm...Well I'll check it out real good tomorrow to make sure it's not burning something on the engine.
    thanks for the heads up on the oils.

Hi all. We got about a foot of snow today and I got the sled out again today. I found some places around here that are sled-friendly and the wife and I went out. It was great except that I found a couple of creeks that were very well concealed by snow until I hit them. Our sled handled a couple of feet with both of us on it with no problems. We need to get used to what it can and can't do but so far, it's a blast. The sled has stopped smelling like burning plastic. I think that was a new sled thing. I checked it over to make sure there wasn't anything melting and it looked good and acted good tonight.

Thanks for all of the advice all and we're really excited to get out on the trails.

Ed & Jess