Thread: Changing the date of your return flight home

Default Changing the date of your return flight home

Folks, I need some idea's... How do you go about changing your flight home when your hunt ends sooner than expected..

Last September Alaska air wanted an additional 650 bucks just to come home 2 days earlier than planned.. Keep in mind I had already paid 650 for the original tickets..

I am kinda tied to Alaska air since they are the only local carrier that provides non-stop flights to Anchorage so I dont have a lot of options.

I need to return to Anchorage this August and am I lookin for ways other people have handled this situation... Thanks, Ken

Buy the more expensive flex date tickets. That is how my office books all of our flights.

Personally, if I like the area I'm in, I'll relax the extra couple days and not worry about coming in sooner. Otherwise I'll pay the money (if it's reasonable) to come back sooner.

Seems like a few yrs ago I changed flight dates & it was about 100.00 to change flight.

I did get early one time made my way to Anc & rented a car so I could enjoy the Kenai for a few days.

Why leave, just enjoy some more of AK

changing flight dates/times are a 100 dollar charge on alaska airlines. if you do it via the internet it is usually 75 dollars. if it is the same day as the previous res./ such as an earlier flight, go standby and pay nothing extra. hope this helps.

I've changed several times and only been charged $50 to $100 but that was in state. If I want to change I call back to the wife on the sat phone and have her check costs (on line normally) before I change (if possible) my air charter or transportation to the field. $650 for two days I'd rather stay longer.

Default Old Rules No Longer Apply

Not sure why, but for some reason this year the rules are being held fast to higher charges. Most of the comments are true if, there is a low fare seat availble on the flight you are trying to change too. If that is the case, than you only pay the change fee (now 100 or 75 via internet)
    This year it seemed to be tougher than most years to change a ticket, as they were holding hard and fast to the change rules. Tough ecomony I guess!
    Even the mileage ticket changes were super tough this year.

On another note: Flying with Pets (Rules Change)
    I found this out last night. I purchased a round trip ticket via NWA to S.D. for a pheasant hunt and didn't think twice about it. Than I called to book my dog and guess what! Since AK Air and NWA are sharing planes, but they do not have a Pet transport agreement, they wanted to charge me twice (1 for AA and 1 for NWA) to fly my dog on the same flight, plus I would have had to recieve him in Portland, than re-check him on NWA. Of course $150 later and a flight change and i was good to go. What a load of Crap that was.

Warning: If you plan of flying with you dog in the future check before you buy the ticket.

Default changes

used to be 50 bucks to change, then it went to 100, now if the price for that flight is more than when you booked you pay the difference or 100 which ever is more. Either pay more for tickets that can be changed at no cost or get a hotel and wait for your flight, if your late and missed your flight your screwed

Default That's a fact!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    used to be 50 bucks to change, then it went to 100, now if the price for that flight is more than when you booked you pay the difference or 100 which ever is more. Either pay more for tickets that can be changed at no cost or get a hotel and wait for your flight, if your late and missed your flight your screwed
    I agree. If things change from your original you pay, one way or the other. Time or Money or Time and Money. It's still worth it :-)

I do all of my hunting travel on air miles. I'm an AK Air MVP member and often am able to make a change for no charge. Sometimes it costs $100 and a few extra air miles. If it is just a matter of a few days I'll just find something else to do on the mainland until my normal flight date.

Default Ak rules

as mentioned above... Ak air charges a 100 change fee (or $75 via web) PLUS the fare difference on the seat class they have available on the flight you want to change too...

Ak has moved to a split system where you can buy each way individually to make a RT ticket... it used to be that you saved money by buying a RT ticket... not anymore.

If your far enough away from your dates the flex fare isnt too much more. you can buy the higher flex fare on just the return trip.

good luck.

Greg

Ak hunter naild it.....I just went through this as I was in Mn and extended my trip an extra week. It only costed me an xtra 100 bucks on a saver ticket but I had to be flexible with when I was switching the date too. It worked out for me yay....but a day or two would have costed 4 or 500 bucks so I know your pain.