Thread: Powering a 1448 jon

Default Powering a 1448 jon

I'm looking for a mud motor for my jon but everything I hear tells me they're not a good fit due to the short length and weight. I'll use it mainly for duck hunting. I hate to get rid of it but I will if I can't find the right motor. Any ideas?

Default re mud motor

I had a 1448 Alumacraft with a modified v with a 27 horse long tail Mudbuddy. First, the motor was too heavy for the boat. I had 2 inches of freeboard at the rear. I put on pods which fixed the freeboard problem. Trouble was that it worked OK.... with one guy in it, but with two, the front end plowed and I had a great deal of trouble getting on step. I sold the boat. I didn't think it was seaworthy. The new short shaft motors provide more oomph so that might overide the plowing issue but I doubt it will be a great fit. I currently have an 1852 Alweld with a 35 horse short shaft mudmotor. I'm much happier with it. It carries a load. Drafts quite shallow and I feel safe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by akduck View Post
    I had a 1448 Alumacraft with a modified v with a 27 horse long tail Mudbuddy. First, the motor was too heavy for the boat. I had 2 inches of freeboard at the rear. I put on pods which fixed the freeboard problem. Trouble was that it worked OK.... with one guy in it, but with two, the front end plowed and I had a great deal of trouble getting on step. I sold the boat. I didn't think it was seaworthy. The new short shaft motors provide more oomph so that might overide the plowing issue but I doubt it will be a great fit. I currently have an 1852 Alweld with a 35 horse short shaft mudmotor. I'm much happier with it. It carries a load. Drafts quite shallow and I feel safe in it.
    akduck: Could you estimate how shallow you can run? Go-devil says their surface drive motors can operate in 5 inches of water over a hard bottom. Do you have similar performance? If you bump the bottom, does your motor kick up, but continue to propel the boat with the prop not fully submerged? I'm trying to figure out how well these mud-motors/surface drive motors work in shallow rivers with sand, gravel, and rocky bottoms.

Default shallow mud motor operation in sand/gravel

I ran a twin 23HP long tail for 3 years.
    If you had enough water to cover the propeller, it would push the boat.
    If you run in shallow sand and gravel you will wear down your propeller enough each year that most of the cupped trailing edges on the blades will be gone. I hit all kinds of stuff with mine, never broke anything, but you do go through a propeller every year and have to sharpen/shape the edges after a rough trip....

If you push just about anything through sand & gravel at high impact speeds, it will be worn down quickly.

remember they are "mud motors" not "sand & gravel motors"

Default Lesson Learned

Thanks for the advise. I'm leaning towards selling it. A mud buddy sales rep told me that size boat already has 2 1/2 stikes against it, so I think I'd better listen. It'd be a good smaller lake boat.