Thread: P.O.W. Island Bear Hunt

Default P.O.W. Island Bear Hunt

Myself and a partner will be hunting on the island in may. We will be hunting out of an inflatable. Were planning on bringing rifles but I am an avid bowhunter, and I would rather go that route. Does anyone have any tactics or suggestions on hunting these bears. Wind? Distance to beach boat from bear, etc. Any info will be grateful.

Fairbanks Area

I have not hunted POW, however I have hunted the coast line around PWS for bears many times with great success. Look for areas that have fresh water running into the salt. Concentrate on the areas that get the most sun. I have been able to get quite close, also after a few days you should see a pattern form. Once you have learned the areas they are coming to each day, hunt that spot. They will come to the fresh grass, they seem to stay higher once it starts to green up high. Be very careful about where you leave your chew toy, I mean inflatable, they love to chew on them, even more so if you get blood on it. I have got really close to some in the boat, however most of the big boars don't like boats and take off as soon as I cut the throttle.

Good luck

What would be a good distance from the bear to beach the boat and start a stalk?

Default POW hunt

Be very careful with those pointed sticks in an inflatable.

Wild & Wonderful West Virginia

How big is your boat I would really suggest maybe renting a rig up there with a good motor you will need to cover lots of beach glassing and running glassing and running. I have been there twice and we are 4-5 on bears so far. It is a good hunt. PM me if you have questions.

I've hunted bears on POW for 6 years. I currently live here. Cruise the tidal flats away from towns. Concentrate on the low tides in the afternoons and evenings. Cruise and glass. The wind is really squirrely in the coves. I would bring your bow if you want to hunt, but if you want to kill something, use your riffle. Best of luck.

San Antonio, Texas

I live in Texas and went to POW in May 2009 on a bear hunt. My buddy and I stayed in a USFS Cabin. We rented a boat and hunted the shore line. In 10 days of hunting, we saw many bear. Our initial problem was spotting bears from the boat. We would spot them easily enough but spooking them when we landed the boat. We weren't in an inflatable. The shore line where we were was very rocky.

Most of the bear we saw were flipping rocks looking for crab. Most bear were seen in the evening hours towards sunset. I shot a 6'6" bear on 20 May. Unfortunately the hide was rubbed but it was toward the end of my hunt and I didn't want to go home empty.

I hunted with a 7mm and that was more than enough. My shot was 100 yards. Most of the bear we spotted were approximately 500-1000 yards off when we were spotting from the boat.

The second week there we decided to beach the boat and still/stalk hunt near coves where we had seen bear. In my opinion, this was much more productive. We used the boat to get to our spots and then basically walked creek beds.

Being prepared for rain is an understatement. The wind wasn't really too bad unless we got out in open water. We were in a 14 ft skiff and tried to avoid that.

Have a good pair of waterproof everything, especially binoculars is very important. Also be familiar with your rifle. My buddy hunted with a .308 and grazed a bear. I don't think that was enough rifle and he didn't properly calculate the bullet drop.

It was an awesome trip. I highly recommend it! You are welcome to PM me for more information. I'm very grateful to those on this forum who helped us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly... then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long." Allison Moir