Thread: Gucci Shrimp Pot Block!

Default Gucci Shrimp Pot Block!

As promised, here's the first picture's of my new block. Once it's entirely done the shiney aluminum portion will be shiney Black Aluminum!
    Following a tradition of using state of the art, exotic materials in my projects,this thing comes in as a "10".
    The body is fully machined (from billet) 6061T-6 with a 3/4-16 stainless helicoil supporting the main shaft. That main shaft is Inconel 625 hollowed somewhat to provide an internal oil reserve. The hanger is inconel as well.The wheel is Aluminum Bronze with an oilite center bearing. 6/12 Nylon thrust washers support both sides of the wheel and of course o-rings seal everything on both ends too. The block is 9 inches long overall and the wheel is 3 1/2 inch O.D. I think it safe to say this thing would rate in the 1800lb range which is way more than I'll ever need pulling them 4 pots!

I will build these for anyone who is interested and will only charge time and material. uh, I guess that's the cavieat, as time and material for this baby = $1150.00

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alasgun; 11-11-2009 at 15:06. Reason: additional picture

That's pretty sweet lookin'!!!!!
    Some nice bling fer da boat!!!

So you will make one for me for $11.50 then?? ??

$11.50 I'll take one for each side of the boat. Nice ear rings...

Thumbs up absolute perfection!

That there is absolute perfection and you well deserve to be proud of your accomplishment. Congratulations!

Where's the jelly deflector flap that thing is just beautiful or "wicked pissah" as they'd say in lobstahland. Can you make me a small one for a door knocker on the potbarn!! just use some inferior stainless scrap laying around. Another idea just hit me, you gotta make some tiny one's to sell to the guido lobstahmen back east so they can hang one off the gold chain on their neck instead of the "italian horns" eah oh yo !!!
    All kidding aside it is a beautiful piece of machinery (but i knew it would be).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Question $1150.00???

I don't seem to get it. You guys are really gonna put that kind of money into a block for pulling pots???? I am a great admirer of good machine work.... and this indeed seems to fit into that catagory.......but I need somebody to explain the cost effectiveness of this piece of work. I am looking forward to upgrading from my Ace puller this coming spring, but cannot see this much money put into the block alone.

In this case it's obvious that bang-for-the-buck was not the primary consideration in the creation of that impressive block. But there's plenty of pure bang, that's for sure. Kinda like putting expensive chrome rims on a pickup truck. Won't help it tow the boat any better, but if it makes you smile when you see it sitting in the driveway, well... that smile is worth something, right?

Sure is a nice looking piece Mike. Looks like excellent craftsmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Thumbs up

That is one sweet block and pulley!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Because I can

Thanks for the accolades guys and Gary; theres really nothing to explain. I'd be as shocked as anyone if someone wanted me to build them an $1100 block. This project was just a "what's next" thing for me. Due to my eccentric nature every piece of boat jewelry I own has been built simply "because I can". Heck my former $700 block was working just fine

The price of any "one of a kind" item is naturally higher due to a number of factors and when you add the material cost to a conservative hourly rate it add's up very quickly! Enjoyment is a relative thing as well and I get plenty from building and using these things. Rod's analogy is right on.

I am constantly bombarded with "will you make me" request which I respectfully decline. My plate stays pretty full and cash is not an incentive for me. The few "customer" projects I've under taken involved some form of trade or were simply built for a friend. However, have no fear, I will keep cranking this stuff out from time to time because wowing you is fun too!

Mike

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I do machine work and I own a marine products business that is a bargain for a one off product. I get people asking me to make something just a little different than what I already make a couple inches longer or twice that size I usually tell them they can't afford me to do that if they press me I give them the real price of 5-10 x the original cost that is always the end of the conversation. Every so often I do it just for the fun of doing it and I just don't count my time.

If I am not making multiples of an item the cad drawing time tool pathing for the machine can take hours to change from the original. If I make them on manual machines for every step you have setup time this goes for CNC as well (setup time). When you make multiple items the setup time is split between many pieces and the cost goes down for setup time. Many times it takes longer to setup the machine than it does to make the part.

I would guess if that block was commercially available it would run $200-$300 with the features described self lubing and all. Do a Google search for rigging and look of course those blocks would be rated by testing and breaking a few to get breaking strengths and working loads. Safe work load is usually 1/10 of breaking strength if used for lifting (if my memory is correct).

Mike

Smile Block price

Hey Mike, Thanks for making me feel...not so cheap!!! HA

Alasgun,

1) great job, nice

2) you would actually sell a few of them for your asking price if you anodized it blue and touted it as Alaska 50th Statehood Block or Deadliest Catch Block.

Sobie2

Default That's A Beauty!

What a nice job! Nothing quite like a one-of-a-kind piece of fishing equipment to admire! I had to laugh at Steve's "jelly deflector flap" comment.

I have run multiple thousands of miles of ground-line through blocks of similar design in my lifetime and I know the durability and utility of such an item. You do great machine work, Mike! ;-]

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    What a nice job! Nothing quite like a one-of-a-kind piece of fishing equipment to admire! I had to laugh at Steve's "jelly deflector flap" comment.

I have run multiple thousands of miles of ground-line through blocks of similar design in my lifetime and I know the durability and utility of such an item. You do great machine work, Mike! ;-]

Don't laugh at the "jelly deflector" they are standard equiptment on most lobstah boats! Maybe i'll get some to sell this year??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Not Laughing in Jest

Steve, I know about jelly deflectors. We used to install jelly deflectors on our custom-made crab hauler for summertime brown King crab pot fishing here in SE. Like most other areas - late summer here is 'jelly season'. Our larger tides push the jellyfish into shoals that can collect on your lines and create enough drag to suck the buoys down. Our 5/8 or 3/4-inch lines would triple their diameter with collected jelly for the first 10-15 fathoms under the buoys.

The most durable but flexible material we found for a deflector was when someone cut a 2-foot by 8.5-inch strip out of a crushed Polyform buoy and bolted it on the inboard side of the block's frame to deflect the steady stream of jelly and snot that the hauler would strip off the lines and shoot right at the coiler's bare face. There would have been a definate morale problem without a deflector!

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Steve, I know about jelly deflectors. We used to install jelly deflectors on our custom-made crab hauler for summertime brown King crab pot fishing here in SE. Like most other areas - late summer here is 'jelly season'. Our larger tides push the jellyfish into shoals that can collect on your lines and create enough drag to suck the buoys down. Our 5/8 or 3/4-inch lines would triple their diameter with collected jelly for the first 10-15 fathoms under the buoys.

The most durable but flexible material we found for a deflector was when someone cut a 2-foot by 8.5-inch strip out of a crushed Polyform buoy and bolted it on the inboard side of the block's frame to deflect the steady stream of jelly and snot that the hauler would strip off the lines and shoot right at the coiler's bare face. There would have been a definate morale problem without a deflector!
    Don't be letting the jelly deflector material secret out , now all the flat bags will be gone & cut up.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

That's one sweet block....I need one to go with my $1000.00 boat. I expect the block is worth it...probably paid too much for the boat, though.