Thread: conibear traps

Default conibear traps

Which conibear trap size do you prefer for beaver? I would probably be doing most of my trapping (which won't be much) in Southeast. I would have asked novice questions at the Alaska Trappers seminar, but I missed it this year due to a deployment. Thanks for your help.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

330's as they can be used for otter and wolverine also.

Default 330's

Excellent, thank you.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Default Suggestion

When you pick up your 330's, I would suggest picking up some 330 size stablizers - the tall ones. These will make beaver & Otter sets twice as fast, and the flexiblity makes your sets much easier to tweak than the old cut the stick approach. Good luck

Actually PVC piping works just as well and in some cases might even be more cost effective. We have someone on the forum here who put on a presentation using PVC pipe at one of the AFT meetings. You might want to ask "arrowslinger" about it.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Hey thanks for the tips. Yeah, that PVC idea sounds good, strong and lightweight. I'll look into that and let you all know how I do this December. Thanks again

Default Brittle?

Howdy,
    Maybe I was doing something wrong but the PVC did not hold up well for me with under the ice sets where I left the tops out to freeze in. It tended to break when being chopped out. The small size of the stakes allows the trap to be adjusted in very small increments when tweaking the sets. Just my .02 and just a suggestion

Yeah, up here that would be an issue, but depending on the winter, southeast muskegs often don't seem to freeze quite as solid. But that certainly is something to consider, it would just be my luck......