Thread: Lens ?

Default Lens ?

My daughter has a Nikon D50 w/50mm lens. She asked for a new lens and something has broken off inside the lens.

? 1 What info do I need to order her a new lens, thinking on a 18-70 piece of glass?

? 2 Is it prudent to get this lens repaired?

Thanks in advance.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    My daughter has a Nikon D50 w/50mm lens. She asked for a new lens and something has broken off inside the lens.

? 1 What info do I need to order her a new lens, thinking on a 18-70 piece of glass?

? 2 Is it prudent to get this lens repaired?

Thanks in advance.

George
    If you have the 50mm f/1.8, it is probably less expensive to just buy another one. If it is an f/1.4 lens it is worth checking with Nikon to get it repaired.

The Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF AF-S DX lens was Nikon's "kit lens" for at least the D70 and the D2x bodies. It is probably the best kit lens Nikon ever made! It isn't a "pro model" to be sure, but it does have a wonderful reputation for pleasant looking out of focus highlights and being sharp. At the price it goes for (either new or used) it is a real bargain.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    If you have the 50mm f/1.8, it is probably less expensive to just buy another one. If it is an f/1.4 lens it is worth checking with Nikon to get it repaired.
    Here in - lies one of the major misconceptions concerning photography !!

1.2 - 1.4 - 1.8 Lens. (wrong!) If you need a new 50 mm lens. I personally would purchase a 2.8 lens over any other choice !!

Why ? Because I have never - ever used a lens wide open @ 1.4 or 1.8

and I would never attempt to create (an inferior) photograph in that method. this is my personal opinon.

If you are using any of those f- stops YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LEARN how to properly 'create' a photograph.

Ansel Adams said the same thing (using different words) in many different quotes !! go to photoquotes .com and learn !!

Sometimes a person can learn lots - from a 'simple' sentence !!

Read & learn from the Best photograpers - the world has ever witnessed!!

There is a guy I met in Anchorage that uses Craiglist to sell a lot of Nikon lenses (used). I was interested in a lens that he had for sell, met him, then spent about a hour *getting educated* on lenses. I went from a D40 to a D90 and had a lot to learn. Very knowledgeable guy, oh yeah I bought the lens from him. I would recommend you calling him and see what he recommends. If this interests you, PM me and I will send you his phone number and/or latest CL ad. P.S. I absolutely love the *used* lens I got from him and I saved $$$ buying used.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

You went from a D40 to a D90 ????

How did changing camera BODIES help you choose a lens ??

my newest camera is 12 mega pixel and only costs 89 dollars (new).

I can't wait to post the images !!