Thread: Hornady .35 rem

Default Hornady .35 rem

i just returned from a wyoming elk hunt using a marlin guide gun in .35 remington. this caliber isn't usually considered when talking about shooting elk, but this is the second one shot kill with this rifle. using wild west trigger, ejector, and lever made shooting this rifle fast and accurate.

credit also goes to hornady mfg with their fine leverevolution ammunition. as in the last elk kill, the bullet passed through both lungs and the off shoulder. amazing penetration for a "woods rifle". the distance? leupold rangefinder said 238yds.

quarters, backstraps, neckmeat and tenderloin resulted in 207# of boneless processed meat. the off front quarter had to be trimmed due to bullet damage.
    happy trails.
    jh

Thanks for the update. IMO the 35 Remington has gained a huge improvement in performance from the Leverevolution ammo.

Nice elk. I am confident you will appreciate the elk and your 35 all winter long.

Default Power

Man that rifle puts the POW in power. When a shot to the shoulder blows off both antlers "THAT'S POWER". Congrats on a nice elk.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Man that rifle puts the POW in power. When a shot to the shoulder blows off both antlers "THAT'S POWER". Congrats on a nice elk.
    hey thanks for the "kind" words.......i didn't think about it when posted, but this cow probably looks kinda funny compared to some of the trophies usually seen here.

i am still amazed however, in all that punch from such an itty- bitty cartridge.
    happy trails.
    jh

Wink Congratulations

Nice elk. I've never shot an elk with the 35 Rem--but have sure taken some nice blackies with it! In John Henwood's book about the model 8 Remington,there's a photo of the late great John Browning with a nice bull elk he took with the 35 Rem. I've tried 4 different loads in mine--and liked the Remington 200 grain factory load best.Never tried the Hornady--but it sounds like an interesting bullet. I like the Marlin lever guns very much too...maybe someday I'll try to find room for at least one more gun

Default nice!!

Nice elk, even nicer rifle when did marlin make the 35 in a guide model? or is that a custom job? That wild west trigger is awesome isnt it!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Nice elk, even nicer rifle when did marlin make the 35 in a guide model? or is that a custom job? That wild west trigger is awesome isnt it!
    hi yukon; my .35 was a "short run" marlin 336 in the guide gun model. it may be found on GUNSAMERICA, GUNLIST, or some of the other online auctions. it's is worth the look.

the wild west trigger is the single best improvement......and allows a light, clean break. accuracy improvement goes with that. check out my pics for some more on this guide gun.
    happy trails.
    jh

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Nice Elk

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    ....i didn't think about it when posted, but this cow probably looks kinda funny compared to some of the trophies usually seen here.

Funny thing about trophies, no matter how long you boil horns, they never soften up enough to eat. Must be why they get hung on the wall.

congrats on the elk! I use an open-sighted Marlin in 35 Rem for hunting elk in the black timber here in Montana. It's loaded with the Hornaday Leverevolution ammo but I haven't shot one with it yet.

I have a 336 Marauder w/ the 16" barrel that's taken a couple of Blackies and Black Tail. I would try the 200+ yard shots but it's a great gun in close quarters. The .35 is largerly over looked, most likely due to so few weapons chambered for it these days I imagine. Too bad, I've been shooting these for a number of years and have always been very pleased with it. I've been loading the Hornady 200 FNSP over AA 2015 and it makes for a sterling round!

Quote Originally Posted by APEX View Post
    I have a 336 Marauder w/ the 16" barrel that's taken a couple of Blackies and Black Tail. I would try the 200+ yard shots but it's a great gun in close quarters. The .35 is largerly over looked, most likely due to so few weapons chambered for it these days I imagine. Too bad, I've been shooting these for a number of years and have always been very pleased with it. I've been loading the Hornady 200 FNSP over AA 2015 and it makes for a sterling round!
    hi apex; i too handload for the .35 and prefer a leadhead 200gr gas check (leadhead bullet) over aa 2015 or 4064. both loads are accurate and penetrate well. as you probably know buffalo bore loads a hot round that isn't far behind the .358 winchester.

not one to experiment, i do recognize the psi OR cup is higher in pistol cartridges through the same action.
    happy trails.
    jh

I still shake my head at that range. Much as I love the cartridge, it shows my own ignorance I think. While I wouldn't hesitate on the shot with one of my 358's I just wouldn't have thought to try it with any of the loads I have tried in any 35 Rem I've owned. And that tells you my mind simply hasn't wrapped itself around the improved performance offered by the Hornady ammo. Obviously I have some rethinking to do, because my 336 has been gathering dust lately.

Come to think of it, a whole lot may be due to my Contender 35 Rem barrel. Get anywhere near max pressures and that thing would start holding onto the case and causing the extractor to jump the rim, leaving the case in the chamber and requiring a range rod to pop it out. In "honor" of that restriction, I just never have any loads around that won't function in the Contender. I will say that with such pressure restrictions, even spitzers loaded specifically for the Contender never really improved trajectory that much.

Time to rethink, like I said, and yeah. Probably time to dump the Contender barrel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I still shake my head at that range. Much as I love the cartridge, it shows my own ignorance I think. While I wouldn't hesitate on the shot with one of my 358's I just wouldn't have thought to try it with any of the loads I have tried in any 35 Rem I've owned. And that tells you my mind simply hasn't wrapped itself around the improved performance offered by the Hornady ammo. Obviously I have some rethinking to do, because my 336 has been gathering dust lately.

Come to think of it, a whole lot may be due to my Contender 35 Rem barrel. Get anywhere near max pressures and that thing would start holding onto the case and causing the extractor to jump the rim, leaving the case in the chamber and requiring a range rod to pop it out. In "honor" of that restriction, I just never have any loads around that won't function in the Contender. I will say that with such pressure restrictions, even spitzers loaded specifically for the Contender never really improved trajectory that much.

Time to rethink, like I said, and yeah. Probably time to dump the Contender barrel, too.
    b.b. i think the range is a stretch as well, and in fact have shot most of my animals at 150yds or closer. last year i shot through an elk at 248yds with the same gun and leverevolution cartridge. no bullet recovery as it passed through. that elk ran about 60yds and piled up dead.

this year the range was 10yds closer, with the same pass through. this elk was down in about 12yds. in both cases the shooting opportunity did allow for follow up shots as needed. they weren't needed. ranging was by my hunting partner using a leupold instrument.

as i don't believe in coincidence, have given credit to this great ammunition.
    happy trails.
    jh