Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DS204 Delta Sheep Hunt

Smile My DS204 Delta Sheep Hunt

OK, I said I was going to do this and it is some work but hopefully, like my caribou site, it will help someone better perpare and be safe and sucessful on thier hunts. This was a DS204 hunt but it is the same as a DS203. Using the Charlie Boyd airstrip can be done for both hunts. Mt. Hayes Air / M&M Charters was great and they are for sure on my list for my next hunt. I typed the journal and know I missed some things. I didn't really even proof read it so there may be some errors, but wanted to get it out. Our sucess was from hard work and good gear, we were blessed with a great hunt in the great outdoors and a great introduction to the sport of sheep hunting. Good luck to all for those draws as the wait is worth it...

Here is the link with many photos, take your time and enjoy.

http://alaskasheephunt.homestead.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice ram!!!

Default Sheep

Great journal, thanks for taking the time to share. Love that area, beatiful country and a great looking ram. When I get that tag next year, I'll try to have the fortitude to keep a journal like that.
    Mike

Wow! Nice Ram! I hope to go sheep hunting next year if I win the permit and this is some motivation.

Thumbs up

Nice looking ram! Great hunt report and pics.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Interesting hunt report. Nice to see pics of the Johnson Glacier area, the terrain does not look as bad as I have been led to believe.

I've had good luck flying into the DCUA with Gary Hall and would use him again.

FYI - the strip you flew out of near the Johnson River bridge is called the Dry Creek strip.

That was an excellent write-up and photo account of your trip. Thanks for sharing!

great stuff, wink.
    Thanks for taking the time.

True sheep fanatics can't get enough.

not sure if it was the dry creek strip or not, it was pretty big and very easy to find.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Hopefully my Brooks range trip this next coming year will have the same results. How did the backpack hold up? Was thinking about getting one myslef.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I used to fly around with Charley when I was a teenager, he had a lot of airstrips, and alot of non airstrips.

We used to fly out of the bush , me sitting on a blazo box in the back of his beat up cub, and he would check his trapline from about 4' above the river.

Those were the good ol days.

Quote Originally Posted by winkhink View Post
    not sure if it was the dry creek strip or not, it was pretty big and very easy to find.
    On the right hand side of the hwy near the Johnson River bridge? That is the Dry Creek strip. Golden Eagle and M&M work out of there a lot.

Smile

Great story and a great hunt. You guys put in the hard work and it paid off. I am amazed that you werent more crowded there on opening day of the motorized season. That is the most popular strip in the area. Maybe due to the weather more people werent piled in there? I was near there during the nonmotorized season and planes were flying up and down the river all day long. I think that strip can get a lot of use. Nice ram and congrats!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Thanks

I poked around at your entire journal entry on and off durring the day today. It was a pleasant distraction. It sounds like you guys conqured some really rough country.

I was hoping you spotted that wolf and put the smack down on it.

Congrats on your success. Good job with your field chores.

So now that you know how to do it and what it feels like.....where do you want to hunt next?

Next I will start putting in for some Kodiak Goat hunts. It was amazing, not many people. When we flew out Gary showed us camps at all the strips up there. I think the transporters do a good job of limiting the people. The guys that were on our strip when we returned to the boyd did not get anything. There were about 5 trucks also at the dry creek strip also. We did not feel pressured and only heard planes towards the end of our trip.

Default Thank you!

That was a great story. The pictures were awesome and as bad as they looked, I'm sure it was worse in reality. Thanks again.

Default Very good report!

Yes, it was undoubtedly a tough trip but the reward was great. Good for you! A trip you will always remember and think back on.
    I sent you a pm on the rifle so I can ask you here also. A Kimber Montana?

Also, what was your assessment on the equipment that worked and that which didn't hold up?

Thanks again for your post and pics.

Default Nice Journal

Good Job Wink! Wished I was able to have went with you. We'll have to set something up for 2011.

Great story. Like all the pics and the detail in the story. You drew a tag of a lifetime for sure. I hope either my wife or I will have the chance to draw that tag sometime in our lifetime.

Cool story! My boys and I read this together, they were amazed at the amount of country you guys covered. Never been sheep hunting myself but maybe got the next generation fired up. Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast