Thread: 45-70 ftx

Default 45-70 ftx

Has anybody tried to reload the FTX bullet for 45-70. I recently tried and ran out of adjustment in my redding seater die before the bullet was all the way seated. I am using once fired hornady brass that is within hornady's tolerances. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

Default 45/70

I just reloaded some ftxs. I am useing RCBS dies and had no problems. very accurate bullet for me in my guide gun.

Maybe your seater plunger seats farther down into the die body on the RCBS. I have mine completely down and the die body is touching the shellholder and I can't get it to seat the bullet to its cannelure.

I had to shim down the seater in my Redding Competition die to get it to work. Once I did it, I still have enough adjustment for the 325 FTX up to the Remingtion 405. I don't know if it will still work with bigger hardcast as I haven't loaded any of those since the mod.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

might have to buy some RCBS dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I had to shim down the seater in my Redding Competition die to get it to work. Once I did it, I still have enough adjustment for the 325 FTX up to the Remingtion 405. I don't know if it will still work with bigger hardcast as I haven't loaded any of those since the mod.
    how did you shim it? Thanks for any info
    Mark

Just out of curiosity, what do you have the brass trimmed out to? I know for my .450 Marlin, the brass for the FTX bullet is much shorter than the regular brass by almost .040. Is the brass your reloading from LR FTX or is it from the Interlock bullet? If its from the interlock load, you may need to cut it back to make up for the long ogive.

Quote Originally Posted by akexpress34 View Post
    how did you shim it? Thanks for any info
    Mark
    I just used some thin pieces of copper I had laying around the shop. I cut them to rough size and put them between the seater plug and the spring.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."