Thread: 25B snowmachine hunt

Default 25B snowmachine hunt

A buddy and I are tentatively planning on accessing 25B from Eagle or Circle to hunt moose and caribou Dec 10th to the 15th.

I have several questions regarding the feasibility of this hunt.

1. How far can one reasonably expect to get on either road in a 4x4 pickup before the road becomes too dangerous and/or completely impassible during that time of year (average conditions).

2. Is there lodging in either Eagle or Circle? Any sort will do, as long as it's open and they have heated rooms.

3. Which place would be "better" for hunting and why?

4. What special precautions (if any) would be advisable?

Thanks,
    Zeb

I think your lodging options for eagle are shot... I believe the BB got flooded and many are rebuilding.. i could be wrong but...not sure abot circle

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If you all are looking at harvesting moose and or caribou you better plan on taking in snowmachines with a wall tent and stove or arctic oven and stove. I do not think there will be too many huntable animals in the immediate vicinity of those two locations. Then again you never know where a moose or caribou will pop up.

The road to Circle is plowed and graveled all winter long but I do not know about the one to Chicken?

Be prepared for COLD weather and vehicle breakdowns as there is not much along those roads if something happens to your vehicle.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

A set a chains for your pick up. It would be good thing to have when up there in the winter. If it snows they come in very handy or if it don't get plowed plus there pretty cheap. Good luck guys.

Default Prepare for the worst

That is my motto. The Taylor Highway could be impassable by then. I know that there are a lot of people that head out in the winter not knowing how things can go from good to bad very quickly. You could have -50 below temps. The weather forecast won't help you at times as some of the valley's can be 10 to even 20 degrees colder in places. Make sure you have the best equipment you can get and be prepared for anything.

Zeb,

I'm in a more remote part of 25B, north of the Yukon. Haven't seen the Porcupine Herd in many years now, don't think you will find any caribou from that herd out of either Eagle or Circle.

Neither place has lodging available.

Some of the public use cabins in Yukon Charley weren't fixed after the flooding and ice damage last spring, something else to keep in mind if you travel the Yukon and expect to find places to stay.

The road to Eagle isn't plowed and isn't technically open that time of year. Sometimes you can make it to Chicken, depends on how much snow and blow we get, but after the Y you typically can't get over the summits with 4x4, snowmachine only. The road to Circle should be open.

Neither place is better than the other for hunting, as you have to get out of town a ways either way. Leaving a vehicle in Circle is not always a good idea either.

You'd need to come fully equipped with tent, stove, saw, plenty of fuel. Sometimes there are ice jams for miles along the Yukon in places that hinder travel greatly and are hard on machines. There won't be a trail that time of year, per se. You may run into some trapping trails is about all. It's dark, cold, limited daylight in mid December, so expect -30s and -40s, be grateful if you see zero. Very limited people once you leave either town, would advise you carry a satphone for emergencies.
    Good luck,

I do not think you are going to find moose on the river.
    If I wanted to hunt 25B I would find out where the moose are before I went on the river. There is an air taxi service in Central; I would use these people to find your moose.
    Another advantage is it will give you a local contact.

Not to hijack the thread but Mark is leaving a vehicle in Circle in the summer or regular hunting season a problem? Thank you.

AKraven, just my opinion, but yes, leaving a vehicle in Circle in summer or during hunting season can be a problem. Depends on who you know, if anyone, to keep an eye on it, and where you park it.

Thank you for the reply Mark. I was looking into do a little river running and exploring next summer out of Circle. Now that makes me wonder.

You could have problems with your vehicle or boat breaking down, or with bears or sink your boat. Someone could break into your house. If we thought about all the things that could happen we would never leave the house.

If you’re paranoid about someone breaking in to your vehicle, leave the doors unlock and nothing in it, ask permission to park near someone house.

Default 25D, or 20F for caribou?

Hmm, looking at the hunt boundaries, it appears that another (maybe easier/ safer) option would be to head up the Haul Rd. and hunt 20F to the West and 25D to the east along the Yukon River corridor.

Can anyone comment on the likelihood of encountering caribou along the Yukon River in either direction from the Dalton Hwy crossing during December??? Maybe 75 miles upstream and 75 miles downstream?

Zeb re read your regs the only time a hunter can use a sled is to cross the corridor. Motorized hunts must originate outside the 5 mile limit and harvests from a motorized vehicle must be outside the corridor.

In other words you can not drive up the haul road find a nice spot to park unload the machine, ride out 5 or 10 miles then hunt. Bummer I know the regs are totally screwing my plans. I have a friend in Nuqisut. I'd love to have Tracy drive me up the haul road to say 20 miles outside Purdue bay then ride to Nuqisut and Hunt, thing is that's not legal. If I drive the ice road to Nuqisut then hunt with the machine it's OK that hunt would originate outside the corridor.

PS this is for the northern side of the river.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default 25D and 20F caribou map

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/maps/.../hcb25d_re.pdf

I shouldn't have used the word "corridor". I wasn't referring to the 5 mile archery only, non-motorized area on either side of the Haul Road (clearly shown in pink on the map above). I know about the regulations within that area, and we're not planning on riding our machines through there at any point during our hunt.

By "corridor" I merely meant the "area accessable via the Yukon River".

The map above clearly shows the 5 mile Dalton Hwy corridor that you are refering to in pink and the Yukon river itself is not included in that area. It starts on the northern bank of the Yukon.

I'm talking about snowmachining up the Yukon and hunting near Stevens Village, or down it toward Rampart.

That's why I added the PS. You should be fine as far as regs go on the south side of the river. Sorry I cant help you more, I've never been able to stop driving north till after atigun pass.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Ah, didn't notice the PS. Sorry, and thanks for the info.

No worries, good luck and have fun on your hunt.
    BHA Member

You could run up the Yukon and then up the Dall or Chandalar to the Brooks foothills but man that's a haul for an off chance of finding some caribou. You'd have to haul a gob o' fuel and stage it, and I wouldn't do it with just two people or without an Arctic Oven.