Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200gr SWC ACP boolit in 45 Colt....

Question 200gr SWC ACP boolit in 45 Colt....

So I got my hands on a friends Lyman 4 cavity mould (for a while) that drops these nice little swc's. This one's lubed with Lee Alox for a test.

I'd like to cast up a good supply and load up some plinkin rounds for the 45 Colt wheel gun. I'm thinking 7gr Unique. I load 8.5 gr Unique with 255gr RNFP. But, I am wondering about how/where to crimp these rascals. In the lube groove below the driving band? It'd be like a mini Keith style boolit. Or seat the driving band to the case neck and roll crimp over it? Or just seat it on the driving band and give it a slight crimp like a 45 acp round with my Lee factory crimp die? It's from my 45 Colt die set and I believe is only a roll crimp die though.

Should I be concerned about too much room in the case if I don't seat it deep as possible? I'd like to stick with Unique since it's what I have.

Providing your expanding plug gives the bullet a tight fit in the case, I'd just put a very gentle roll crimp over the leading edge of the front driving band. Too much crimp and you'll really diminish case life. If your plug is large enough that the bullets aren't tight without the crimp, then I'd go for that top grease groove. Good looking bullet, and like you, I bet it makes an ideal plinker. When you run out of Unique, take a look at 700X.

I'm using Lee dies and Starline brass. I get a nice tight fit on .452 bullets. I think I'll take yours and anothers advice just posted at castboolits and seat it deep with a little roll crimp over the driving band. And go see how they shoot! thx

You don't say which gun you're shooting, but if it's got fixed sights there's a chance that light bullet will shoot lower than a 250 or 255. The gun simply doesn't recoil as much, so isn't as high in its "recoil cycle" when the bullet exits the barrel. If you have adjustable sights no prob, but you might have to adjust the sights for the new loads.

I'm shooting a Redhawk. I'll adjust sites as needed. thanks

Default top lube

With my setup I would use Tite Group and crimp it on the top lube groove like I do with my 250 grain Brooks.

Easier on the lead supply anyway - probably not much for accuracy - but ya never know.

I need to make a target this winter so that I can capture my target lead - I really like the feel of the 330 grain brooks heavy load that I am shooting. Now that I am practicing with heavy boolitz they don't seem so bad and I enjoy shooting them. But they sure eat up the tiny lead pile that I have.

I also shot some Trail Boss through it with good results - but the cost is almost twice that of shooting the TG although the TB throws a little more accurate - I still scale out every 8-10 throws tho.

Have you shot any rounds with blackpowder through yours yet? My FIL has a pair of colts that he shoots a lot of BP through - I like the feel of the BP better than smokeless. that will be in teh works for the winter also - that big cloud of smoke and the smell of the BP - ya, that's what i am talking about.

My FIL being a BPRC competitor doesn't shoot a whole lot of smokeless at all - so I am looking forward to smoking up some of his powder and lead at xmas when we get back to MT.

Bullelkklr- Ya, I know what you mean about the lead supply. I'm doing pretty good but value every grain! I made some good scores last spring and this fall. Now's the time to hit the tire shops as they mount up everyones snowtires. I have a couple places that I do business with that take care of me. A bucket or two of wheel weights here and there add up quick. Even if you have to pay for them.

Haven't loaded or shot any black powder. A guy I work with does though and used to be into CAS pretty heavy until the last couple years. In fact he's the one that got me all worked up about casting.

I'm going to load these 200's and try some crimped both ways and see how they shoot.

Where you headed to in MT? I'm originally from Whitefish and Missoula.

Lead capture is dead easy. I put a piece of inner tube inside a 5 gallon bucket on one side, fill the bucket with sand, then tape a target to the same side as the inner tube. The inner tube only gets tiny holes in it, even as the bucket gets big ones, so the sand mostly doesn't come out. Use 1/4" hardware cloth to screen the sand for bullets and fragments after a shoot.

With bigger bullets you can get a pretty good spray of sand upward if you hit high in the bucket and have to replenish now and then, but I've never had ANYTHING penetrate the bucket completely. Cast bullets, hard or soft are no match for the sand. Sound impossible? That's why the military uses sandbags for stopping bullets. The stuff is amazing for absorbing bullets.

The biggest I'm shooting right now are 600 grain 75 caliber round balls at 1000 fps. They don't even make it half way through the bucket. My 58 caliber balls weighing 280 grains and moving along at around 1600 fps don't come close to going halfway through. I've whacked a bucket a few times with an 06 and 180 grain factory loads at 50 yards, and not a bullet fragment makes it through.

Default 200gr SWC ACP boolit in 45 Colt

I dont deburr when I do .45 ACP .... too little power and case too short to noticeany improvements If you have a tight fitting throat/neck from a custom .45 you might want to chamfer the outside for enhanced feeding

Another option for bullet capture that I read about is the rubber mulch you can buy at Home Depot and Lowes. It is basically shredded tires. People have reported filling a 55gal drum of it and capturing rifle bullets too. Easy to seperate out too.

Snyd,
    I have crimped both ways, not alot of differance that i can tell, course I don't crony, so can't tell about speeds.

I am a huge fan of the LEE factory crimp die and with the bollit you have I would crimp with the case just a few thousandths below the top of the driving band

I have a .45 mould that is allmost identical in profile but a HP, I taper crimp in the top driving band for the 1911

Scott
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

Thanks for all the input guys. I have loaded up some with 7 and 8 gr Unique roll crimped just over the driving band as well as some crimped below it in the lube groove. It has warmed up some here also. If it holds through the weekend I'll go shoot em and see how they do.

Well, here's a pic of what the 200gr swc's look like all crimped up and ready to shoot. Left to right...Lee 255gr RNFP, 200swc crimped in front lube groove, 200 swc crimped over driving band. The boolits are water dropped ww. Sized to .452, lubed with 2 coats lee liquid alox, going through .4525 throats to a .451 bore. I'll see if I get any leading. It looks like I may make it to the range tomorrow or saturday to try them out.

It sure is fun casting these things and getting a load worked up

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Nice

Snyd,

The rounds look great. I am very courious to hear how well they work for you, especially the 255gr RNFP. I'd really like to hear your velocities and accuracy with that round.

Are you going to perform any penetration or expansion tests with these?

Thanks,
    Ralph

I shot a bunch of the 255 rnfp last summer. Not the exact same boolit but some my friend cast that are very very close. Lyman mould I think. I'd have to check my notes but I'm pretty sure with 8.5gr Unique they are about 1000 fps in my 4" Redhawk and about 1300 in my 20" barreled Puma 454 levergun. Very accurate as well. As accurate as I can shoot in both guns. Nice plinkin round.

Thumbs up Range Report...

Here are the results of the 200gr SWC "45 ACP" boolits loaded up for the 45 Colt. I can say I hit on a GREAT plinkin round. 8.2gr Unique. I was going for 8 but the powder measure was dropping at 8.2 so close enough. Crimped in the lube groove below the driving band, Lee factory crimp die, 3/4 of a turn. Lee says 1/2 turn for light, 1 turn for heavy crimp. Definitely less recoil that the 255 rnfp with 8.5 gr Unique. And, more accurate. But, the rnfp were leading the barrel heavy. They were the first ones I cast a lubed and I think I was a little light on the alox. The 200's have more lube for sure. I cleaned it some and then shot these and swear it shot the barrel even cleaner. Here are the pics, 25yds with a rest to see how they group. 20 degrees and 49 year old eyes!

This turned out to be the load right here. This is my new go-to plinkin round for the Redhawk 45 Colt. It saves me 55gr of lead per boolit!! This spring I'll chrony them for grins. I'll shoot the 255 rnfp's in the 454 Levergun. It loves em.

Same powder load, just different crimp. The 7gr load (no pics) was all over the place with this crimp.

Looks like a perfect Spruce grouse load to me! Knock there heads right off!

Glad you found a load, but no matter what the LEE sheet says, those look like really heavy crimps to me. You just don't need much of a crimp with Unique, and exercising the case neck that much will really cut down on case life. I'd try progressively backing it off while watching accuracy, trying to get it down to as little crimp as possible without allowing the bullet to shift.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Nice, very nice

Looks like a well put together round Snyd. The 200 grain over the 8.2 of unique looks like a great combination.

Thanks for posting.
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Glad you found a load, but no matter what the LEE sheet says, those look like really heavy crimps to me. You just don't need much of a crimp with Unique, and exercising the case neck that much will really cut down on case life. I'd try progressively backing it off while watching accuracy, trying to get it down to as little crimp as possible without allowing the bullet to shift.
    Ya, good observation. The lube groove is pretty deep so it folded the brass over pretty good. I'll mess around with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast