Thread: barrel turning?

Question barrel turning?

The barrel diamater on my Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .375 H&H is to big for my tastes. It is so darn big it would work for a .40 or above caliber. Is there any one in Anchorage that turns barrels down? I think the contour of the African .375 Ruger is near perfect. Or should I just buy another barrel?

Default TrySteve

Have you tried Steve at AK Custom Firearms? Unless you want some custom contour or one exactly duplicated turning a barrel down on a lathe is not that big of deal.

I don't know how much weight you will lose but the recoil will increase and you may have alter the stock unless you don't mind an oversized barrel channel.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The barrel diamater on my Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .375 H&H is to big for my tastes. It is so darn big it would work for a .40 or above caliber. Is there any one in Anchorage that turns barrels down? I think the contour of the African .375 Ruger is near perfect. Or should I just buy another barrel?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Smile sounds good...

I will call him and get his opinion. I can bed the barrel channel until I get another stock. Yeah, I realize the recoil will go up. Thats ok, it is susposed to recoil, it's a mighty and world famous Three Seven Five by golly! Thanks for the info.

IIRC, you dont have enough meat on that barrel to turn it down. Also, if it is a standard old style plastic stock, it cant be bedded

Plus those rifles sell at a premium these days. You would be money ahead to sell the M70 and buy the Ruger with the desired barrel contour.

Default Depends

Depending on the contour it may or may not be feasible to turn it down. I believe that the Classics came with two different contours over the years. If you have the one I'm thinking of the bbl is almost a straight taper and they are rather heavy. On the downside those rifles are bringing quite a premium these days and having it turned would kill alot of value, also you would probably loose alot of depth in the sight screw holes and wouldn't have sufficient threads left to hold the iron sights in place. Depending on how much is turned off the holes may disappear all together or leave funny looking little dimples.

If you are using the tupperware stock that most of these wore from the factory you may run into problems getting the bedding compound to stay in place after its dried. The forend being so flexible it can bend and crack the bedding compound causing it to turn loose and fall out. This can be remedied by sanding the inside of the stock with 80 grit and filling the forend full of bedding compound to make it solid, but in doing this you may well add nearly as much weight as you shed in turning the barrel down.

Just some thoughts, take them for what they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Plus those rifles sell at a premium these days. You would be money ahead to sell the M70 and buy the Ruger with the desired barrel contour.
    Sounds like fair advice to me.

You could always rebarrel/restock and keep the original factory barrel and stock in case you decide to part ways with it later. The Model 70s are bringing pretty good cash right now, but they are also such fine hunting rifles it seems a shame to put it in mothballs cause its valuable.

Especially since there wont be any Winchester stainless .375s in 2010, although there will be blue ones

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    although there will be blue ones
    I am really curious to see how these will look. What do you guys think of the new Model 70 triggers? Can an old style trigger be easily fitted to the action?

Default More options

Another option is to buy any of magnum classic stainless rifles and have a barrel of your choosing fitted to it. You may also be able to get a .338 mag bored out if you want a really thin contour and end up with less money than you have in your .375.

All the classic SS magnums are .375 length. Just knock out the spacer in the magazine box, remove the stop off the extractor collar, and cut the ejector off a bit and you have a .375 length action.

If you shop around you can probably get a stock for a .338 or .300 cheap and open it up if necessary for your turned down barrel - I should have mentioned that earlier.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

the barrels on the 375s are on the heavy side. With my rifle I had the barrel cut to 21" and had it recrowned. Also had MPI restock it balances pretty well now, just a tad weight forward which I like.

Can an old style trigger be easily fitted to the action?
    Why would you want to?

FWIW, I hear nothing but good things the new trigger. The "Kid" will probably weigh in on that subject..

I like the new Winchesters. if I wasnt so obsessed with Blasers, I would get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Why would you want to?

FWIW, I hear nothing but good things the new trigger. The "Kid" will probably weigh in on that subject..

I like the new Winchesters. if I wasnt so obsessed with Blasers, I would get one.
    I guess I'll weigh in, even though I don't weigh much.
    I am quite certain that an old style trigger could not be swapped in, I think the holes are in the wrong place and not of the proper size. As far as swapping it, I dont know why you'd want to the new ones that I have fooled with have been excellent. Heck I don't even know how easy they are to adjust, because I am yet to see one out of the box that needs any adjusting.

I am really curious to see how these will look. What do you guys think of the new Model 70 triggers? Can an old style trigger be easily fitted to the action?
    I have several of the new FN model 70s and the triggers have been great. I had a trigger job done to my old classic stainless. The new triggers are good enough out of the box that I wouldn't bother having anything done to them. The two new FN 70's I have, shoot sub moa out of the box.