Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One can do it all....

Default One can do it all....

We've talked alot here about the perfect rifle for the areas we hunt, the best caliber for all species we might encounter. What would it be and what do you hunt in your area of the globe?

There is only one rifle allowed AND only one load, one bullet. (Well, one type of bullet, you can carry a pocketful of them)

Of all the great rifles and all the great bullets to choose from, what would be your pick?

If you hunt white tail in New England you may opt for a lever carbine in 35 Remington with 200 grain core-lokt bullets.

Or, if you hunt the high rockies of the west it may be an old pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 300 Win. Mag. with 180 grain Nosler partitions.

So, what say ye'. What rifle/caliber/bullet will you take to the wilderness?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

For up here and where I hunt (mainly Tok, chicken, taylorhwy area), I will stick with the 35whelen with 225gr TSX's. As for which rifle, My last whelen was a remington but I think I will like my newest whelen built on a mauser.

So to answer your question: Mauser VZ-24, 35 whelen, 225gr TSX's

Default 45 Colt

I'd have a Model 92 Puma stainless steel 16" lever action rifle in 454 Casull.

I would then load the 340 grain hard cast bullet (http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm) behind approx. 26-27 grains of W296/H110 in 45 Colt brass (so my 5.5" Ruger Bisley can shoot them too).

This would put a 45 caliber hole in anyting in the world. It has the power and mass to destroy any bone mass in a Grizzly, has the accuracy to kill at 300+ yards (if you know your bullet drops), the rifle is light enough to carry forever, will last forever, and can handle the heavy loads forever. I can also put a clean 45 caliber hole through an entire moose (regardlee what angle I shoot it at, front to back, side to side ect), kill 4 caribou at the same time if they stand in line, kill coyotes pretty effectively, without too much hide loss, blow the heads off little rabbitts if must be.

There is nothing this rifle/ammo combination cannot handle, or won't do, except super longe range work.

Default Do all

For a do all rifle/bullet combo...I'd probably go with a .338 Win with 210gr TSX's.

Just one rifle? Anywhere on the planet??

If our wives see this, we are screwed. All the stories about needing another cartridge will fly out the window...

In the magic world, is ammo available no matter where we go, or is that part of the consideration??

If I could pick one it would be a Hein bolt action 338 WM built to hold four down with a Leupold 2.5x8 scope shooting Barnes XXX's bullets.
    Tennessee

Post Easy answer

All around hunting rifle 1 battery:375H&H,300gr swift a frame bullet

Default do it all...

My current big game do-it-all (except African dangerous game) rifle is a .338WM in a Winchester model 70 stainless synthetic topped with a Khales 3-9x42 TDS reticle scope. Since this is a bit on the heavy side of ideal for sheep/goat hunting I'll have to say my ideal would be Kimber's 8400M LA in the same caliber pushing a 225gr Swift Scirocco. If pushed to include the African dangerous game into the equation, I'd have to agree with svehunter! If I had to choose one gun for everything on earth, including small game, it would be a 12ga shotgun.

ummm... I just realized Swift doesn't make a 225gr Scirocco, only a 210gr model. So, I guess I won't use the imaginary bullet.

Default poyfect rifle

[SIZE="2"]Well I hope to be living in Alaska soon and will have my "Alaska" dream rifle. However the question is "what is", so since I am still here in Minnesota I'll have to say my go-to rifle is my Savage 99C in .308 win. The only big game I hunt here is Whitetail. We have moose but it is a once in a lifetime drawing and black bear is also a lottery at this time (in my area) so these critters aren't in my consideration. I would put my 99 up against any factory bolt in the accuracy department. It shoot 1 moa with factory federals. I have been shooting these because all my reloading stuff is pacted. Naturally I would rather shoot home built stuff.
    That being said the Federal 150 grainers shoot very nicely and I took two whitetails this year, using one round each./SIZE]

Default Guess you knew THIS was coming....

Murph, as if ya had t' ask.

My Bradshaw Mauser in .338-06. I've taken a real liking to Hornady's 250g Interlocks. I KNOW where the bullet is gonna go when I let fly. The rifle seems to like the 250 pills too!

.... oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

A 338-06 (maybe an AI) in 21" or 22" Mauser package. Laminate stock for weather. Good quality 3-9x. Big cushy leather sling. I'd be a happy guy.

Tough one. Left hand Remington Model 700 Kevlar Mountain rifle from the Remington custom shop, in .338 Win, Federal Premium HE 225gr Trophy bonded bullets @ 2940fps. Leupold 1.5-5 scope. Nice light gun.

I would say that the 300 WM (or my new 300WSM) with a 180 grain quality bonded bullet or a barnes TSX will do it all and has for me. Put the .30 in a compact lightweight package like my Kimber and top it off with a Leupy VX-III 3.5-10x40 and all is good.

My choice is a Remington 700 BDL with detachable magazine in .300 Win Mag with sights on the barrel, of course. Ammo would be 180 grain Winchester Supreme Silvertips. Of course, a 3x9 Bushnell Rainguard scope with QD Weaver mounts so I can easily remove the scope when and if it becomes necessary. This rifle looks good and shoots even better.

I use this set-up mainly for Michigan deer, but the caliber and ammo are serviceable for almost any big or small game. Accuracy is so outstanding that I haven't stopped grinning since I bought the rifle several years ago.

I can kill squirrels with this rifle just by the shock wave of a bullet passing close to their heads. There is no need to actually shoot the little critters and waste any meat. A well-placed shot to the vitals will take down anything else.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag_300 View Post
    I can kill squirrels with this rifle just by the shock wave of a bullet passing close to their heads.
    I'm gonna call you on that statement. I'll have to ask you to prove that one. Show me a video of you shooting past a squirrel (or anything else for that matter) and then show me the dead squirrel with no marks on it.

I only have one big game rifle for all my hunting in Alaska, and it's a Ruger stainless/synthetic MK-II, topped with a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x. I have killed most of my moose with 230-grain Lubalox-coated FS bullets, a couple with 250-grain Partition, and at least one with a 250-grain A-Frame.

I load a few 275-grain A-Frame, and carry them with me just in case, but I haven't shot anything but targets with them so far. I plan to use Barnes 225-grain 3-Shock next moose season. However, i will also like to hunt with 250-grain 3-Shock whenever I get the chance.

At least for my type of hunting the .338WM is the king of the all around cartridges in AK.

I guess the 338winmag is the best all around alaska cartridge but if was to hunt the globe with just one rifle it would be a 375H&H...

Default Not much of a globe-trotter, so...my 'go to' gun...

Stainless/synthetic Model 70 Classic controlled feed .300 Winchester Mag, 180 Noslers. Leupold Vari X II 3-9.

I guess mine would be a 338 Laupa topped with a Shepherd and for bullets I would use Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets 250 Grain Flat Base .
    My hunting buddy has one and what a tack driver !!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast