Thread: New Technology, terrain views, ADS-B etc.

Default New Technology, terrain views, ADS-B etc.

What do you people think about the way FAA is handling the introduction of new technologies here in Alaska? It seems like it is has become very sluggish over the last year or so to me, but I wondered what others thought.

I guess the FAA isn't exactly known for rushing into accepting new technology.

I don't have any experience with ADS-B, I left Bethel right before they started working with Capstone, however, as far as new technology goes, I've been a little disappointed with the way they've gone about installing GPS approaches. Many villages have the approaches now, but a large number of them are next to useless for the commercial operators who are potentially the primary users, since they lack weather, communications, or both. Hopefully, that will be remedied, but I'm sure it will take a while.....Louis

Default 55 or 60 new IFR airport

There are new weather stations and approaches at many previously unserved communities. The flip has nearly doubled over the last 5-6 years. Most, if not all of these are GPS based approaches.

Its too bad marion is more intrested in running the FAA into the ground rather than the safty of the flying public. With the introduction of adsb and all the GBT's there would be almost seemless radar coverage in alaska. Even an approch control in bethel. Lets all hope on her way out there will be some big changes in how the FAA does business.

Default first name basis with the Administrator

Kenaiking

I guess you must work for the government. I agree, it appears money etc is more important to upper FAA than safety. I have heard that the Capstone program has lost creditability with industry due to poor management, which was a direct result of intentional choices made by FAA leadership (loose term). I am concerned that recent gains in safety will be lost.

Also, I friend of mine, who used to work at the Kenai AFSS, is losing his Boise AFSS job over some of the re-org under Blakey. He called me the other night to say Lockheed Martin's Comm system (the one that is supposed to tie the AFSS together) appears to be a bust, which is another interesting side issue.

That I do, If you want details Pm me. Its pretty sad to see what she has done to the moral of the FAA. The AFSS thing is some of the worst business I have ever seen. If it was the private sector it would have been all over the news. Capstone would be a great improvement to safty if the FAA would have implimented it correctly, but insted it was done extreemly poorly and millions of dollars were wasted, much like BET apprach and what do they do, cut the pay of the front line controllers by 30%. Hows that for improving saftey?